Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,605 times

Advertisements

My impression of Pope Francis has been that he wants to reorient the RCC toward working to help the poor, rather than focusing primarily on theological issue. Many in the developed world will dislike that, but many (most?) of the Catholics in the world are poor so it makes sense. The days of winning converts en masse are probably over; a far cry from the original Jesuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
My impression of Pope Francis has been that he wants to reorient the RCC toward working to help the poor, rather than focusing primarily on theological issue. Many in the developed world will dislike that, but many (most?) of the Catholics in the world are poor so it makes sense. The days of winning converts en masse are probably over; a far cry from the original Jesuits.
If true that is a terribly sad indictment of the developed world...we don't want the church helping the poor?.

I was baptized Catholic but probably have gone to church 10 times in my entire life (I even went to Catholic school). Religion just wasn't my parent's thing. I have no devotion to the Holy See. That said, what the man said (paraphrased) was "hey, people shouldn't put profits above all else" and "unbridled capitalism and greed is not only spiritually corrosive and not only does it not address those at the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, it causes disharmony among a people". I just don't see that as very controversial.

If we don't care for everyone, what kind of people are we? Those that value only extremely temporary things like money and material goods? Look at what our insatiable need for material goods has wrought upon a simple thing like an enjoyable Thanksgiving (these loud, brackish TV advertisements for all manner of things are insulting and rather demeaning: to suggest it is material goods I need to fulfill personal satisfaction).

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
I have also met communists that were decent people, but I wouldn't want them running our country.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:42 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
So the pope says all people are good... that all have the propensity to be good... nothing new under the sun. Marxist ideology is wrong. The catholic church found that out years ago.

Too bad the left thinks that the pope likes marxism. He doesn't!! It is wrong.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
: smack:
Malamute is right. One needs to repent of their sins..Jesus preached that those who want to enter into the Kingdom of God needs to repent of their sins and follow the teachings of Jesus in the bible.

The government is not God yet some think that the government should have the right to take the workers paycheck and give it to others. The work ethic is gone for many who take and big government is creating many to think this way.

It is a mindset. Those who believe that the government should supply them with everything and gets comfortable with that has the wrong mindset. If they want to work and search for work till they find work are in the right mindset.

It is the basic belief that one should be accountable for themselves and not depend on the government forever. Many believe that they should get everything free. Others work hard for what little they have and that is a person with character, self respect and principles.

If someone falls into a bad financial situation there should be a safety net there. But they should also have the mindset to look for work and get back into the workforce and not to depend on the government.

The weak and sickly are a different story. They need help.

There are mentally challenged adults who hold jobs and contribute to society.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Or all Christians, or all Tea Party, or all Republicans, or all conservatives. Funny how you didn't mention them.
Because I don't lump them all together.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
If true that is a terribly sad indictment of the developed world...we don't want the church helping the poor?.

I was baptized Catholic but probably have gone to church 10 times in my entire life (I even went to Catholic school). Religion just wasn't my parent's thing. I have no devotion to the Holy See. That said, what the man said (paraphrased) was "hey, people shouldn't put profits above all else" and "unbridled capitalism and greed is not only spiritually corrosive and not only does it not address those at the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, it causes disharmony among a people". I just don't see that as very controversial.

If we don't care for everyone, what kind of people are we? Those that value only extremely temporary things like money and material goods? Look at what our insatiable need for material goods has wrought upon a simple thing like an enjoyable Thanksgiving (these loud, brackish TV advertisements for all manner of things are insulting and rather demeaning: to suggest it is material goods I need to fulfill personal satisfaction).
How about helping the poor help themselves? Rather than that liberal agenda of bringing in unlimited numbers of cheap foreign workers, what about getting jobs for the American unemployed and welfare recipients?

Jobs -- not handouts. Why do liberals want only to patronize the so-called poor and warehouse them forever on generous government programs rather than have them productive and useful? The best thing for someone is to be allowed to work for what they want. Making them into useless parasites living high on the hog on someone else's confiscated labor is evil.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes it is funny. A year ago the Catholics were a force of evil in the world, covering up child molestation and inciting violence. Then the new pope says something about birth control and gay rights and suddenly you don't hear a single peep about the molestation anymore.

It reminds a lot of how the leftists fiercely protested apartheid, but when it comes to Muslims and their persecution of women and homosexuals it's all about how we have to be tolerant of other cultures.

All this pope did was tell us pedophiles are nice people.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How about helping the poor help themselves? Rather than that liberal agenda of bringing in unlimited numbers of cheap foreign workers, what about getting jobs for the American unemployed and welfare recipients?

Jobs -- not handouts. Why do liberals want only to patronize the so-called poor and warehouse them forever on generous government programs rather than have them productive and useful? The best thing for someone is to be allowed to work for what they want. Making them into useless parasites living high on the hog on someone else's confiscated labor is evil.
For me, I just assume that regardless of how hard I have worked in the past, and no matter how much I contribute now, I still owe it to my fellow man to a) not judge them and b) help them without preconditions. As I said before, I am not particularly religious; but I do respect the teachings of Jesus and this is what I think he was talking about. He had no preconditions to helping others. What you are asking for is preconditions...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
For me, I just assume that regardless of how hard I have worked in the past, and no matter how much I contribute now, I still owe it to my fellow man to a) not judge them and b) help them without preconditions. As I said before, I am not particularly religious; but I do respect the teachings of Jesus and this is what I think he was talking about. He had no preconditions to helping others. What you are asking for is preconditions...
Yes because you will not really see poor people in the USA unless they are drug addicted. The average cost of a welfare household is now over $61,000 a year, you won't see very many so-called poor living without even air conditioners and cell phones and even cable television.

In many states in the USA, living off welfare handouts provides more than working a jobs would. Our poverty programs are sick, more about warehousing Americans into the welfare life, making able bodied people into useless parasites.

If you look outside the USA, there are some very poor -- but all the money we throw at those countries doesn't make it to the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies