Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,201,502 times

Advertisements

And this one only took them 40 years to change their minds.
The chemical triclosan was shown to affect hormones in rat and could lead to infertility, early puberty and cancer.
The FDA was asked to investigated this in 1972. They arrived at their findings in 1978.
They are now publishing their findings..due to losing a lawsuit that was filed to force them to publish.

Unilever and Dow are not happy about this.

FDA: Anti-bacterial soaps may not curb bacteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,831,048 times
The most effective anti-bacterial agent is, and always will be, alcohol. It is also very cheap to produce (30 oz bottle costs $4 at Walmart). Alcohol also will not create anti-bac resistant bacteria, unlike Triclosan. I avoid cleaning products that say kills germs with no alcohol. Alcohol rubs also do not cause cancer

Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,905,736 times
Well it seems they are just looking to curb particular triclosan usage.

They have increased liability cost.
Triclosan - SourceWatch
quote:
With widespread use of triclosan in personal care products, the Natural Resources Defense Council has called on the U.S. FDA to ban the chemical. In a press release, NRDC Senior Scientist Dr. Sarah Janssen said, "With no proven benefit and many red flags raised for harmful health impacts, the use of these so-called anti-microbials is an unnecessary and stupid use of toxic chemicals."[5] On July 27, 2010, NRDC filed a lawsuit against the FDA for its failure to finalize a ban on both triclocarban and triclosan, which was first initiated in 1978.[6] The lawsuit covers liquid and bar soaps and body washes. With its common household use, triclosan makes its way into the wastewater stream and frequently turns up in sewage sludge.

The over 3 trillion dollar chemical market has also been slumping on and off so this offers an avenue for returns. Antibiotics, biocides and nano are all viable areas to seek returns.
There are already many replacements being promoted like Sensidin, Agion, Zinc Omadine etc...

Outlook for the chemical industry - BASF Report 2012

quote:
We expect global chemical production (excluding pharmaceuticals) to recover in 2013 (+3.6%), putting it back on the growth track expected for the medium term. After the previous year’s near-stagnation in production in the industrialized countries, we anticipate slight growth for 2013 (+0.9%). We expect growth in the emerging markets to remain strong (+6.8%).
The chemical industry in the United States will benefit once again from low gas prices in 2013. However, we anticipate slower growth in the automotive industry, a key customer for chemical products. Growth in the construction industry will also be somewhat weaker than in 2012. We anticipate slower growth overall in the U.S. chemical industry (+1.9%). In the medium term, we forecast annual growth of 2.3%

Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,909,767 times
Anti-bacterial soaps have no effect on viruses.
Many of the worst diseases/infections today are viral.
Pure soap (such as Ivory) and vigorous hand washing works just as well as any anti-bacterial soap.
This has been known by many in and out of the medical community for a very long time.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,384,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Pure soap (such as Ivory) and vigorous hand washing works just as well as any anti-bacterial soap.
This has been known by many in and out of the medical community for a very long time.
correct

Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,201,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I never went for the antibacterial soap.
Figured you need some germs to stay healthy.
Also wrecks havoc on septic systems.

The bigger worry though should have been the effects on hormones that they recorded over the years in the lab animals.

Early puberty, threat of cancer, infertility….all issues we ARE dealing with in today's society.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,831,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I never went for the antibacterial soap.
Figured you need some germs to stay healthy.
Also wrecks havoc on septic systems.

The bigger worry though should have been the effects on hormones that they recorded over the years in the lab animals.

Early puberty, threat of cancer, infertility….all issues we ARE dealing with in today's society.
Neither have I. I keep an alcohol gel hand rub in my room and in the kitchen, and use it before and after handling food and trash. That's it. You can't obliterate all the microbes on your skin, they are also helping to protect your skin from invasion of pathogens. The bacteria that are normally resident on your skin are called flora. They are non-pathogenic, unless your skin breaks open. Just like the E. coli in your large intestine is non-pathogenic unless it comes in contact with another body orifice or a tear in the skin

Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,534,733 times
I have no antibacterial anything in my house and I'm actually a bit of a germaphobe. For my kitchen cleaning I wipe everything down with bleach. That kills germs for sure. Because I have soft water I pretty much just use pure soap for everything else. Pure soap does not work very well in hard water applications though. I wash all of my floors with a really nice thyme based germ killing product. I'm not creating any superbugs in my home by using bio based anti germ products.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM

13,278 posts, read 7,816,336 times
Ah, yes, I remember Phisohex in the 60s.

It was all the craze.

"In 1969, hexachlorophene became suspected of causing cancer, and studies determined that oral ingestion of hexachlorophene led to weakness and paralysis in laboratory rats. In 1972 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration outlawed its use in non-medicinal products like Dial soap. In 1973, after studies found relatively high concentrations of hexachlorophene in the blood of neonates washed with a 3% solution it was withdrawn from over-the-counter sales, though still available by prescription. A 1978 study undertaken by the U.S. National Institutes of Health indicated that hexachlorophene does not cause cancer. However, the MSDS still lists this compound as an experimental teratogen. Possibly because of the previous questions concerning its effects, most dermatologists today do not prescribe it for acne treatment."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexachlorophene

Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,266,995 times
I never used anti-bacterial anything in this house. Killing all bacteria willy-nilly is a terrible idea. We need good bacteria, and anti-bacterials just build up the immunity of bacteria to antibiotics and makes them stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies