Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
There's no way in hell I'd let a kid of mine play football.
Then don't but stop telling others what they should do. That is the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It's not taxing at a young age though. They aren't big enough to create the collisions you see in the NFL or college. You really think pee wee football players hit hard enough to hurt each other. Sure some fall wrong or what have you but most of the time their running around in circles. Even Jr. High kids aren't big enough to do any damage. What is occuring is liberals are scaring folks from letting their kids play football Whatever will they do when little Johnny goes in for a layup and gets undercut and gets a concussion from hitting his head on the hardwood floor of a basketball gym?
Sure, sports all have risks. And you are welcome to your own opinion.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Yes they do. The way I look at it you only live once so if my kids want to partake in something the I let em they don't then fine. My kids want to play sports or music or anything else I say go sign up. I got two geetars, a sax and clarinet sitting in the closet. I'll sell em cheap. LOL

Football is a funny one though. You can tell early on if they will move on or not with the contact. My oldest, 17, loved it from the time he played flag football and when contact came into play he loved it more. He wrassles too. My youngest boy 14 loved flag football but when the pads came on he didn't like the contact so he decided not to play anymore. Since my oldest has been playing high school and our division is the highest in the state there was one kid with a concussion this year and two last year. Some of these kids are huge too. Mine is a little turd who plays safety and flies around and hits folks. I will admit for the first time since he started playing varsity I've been a little more worried than normal but he's quick and gets around folks. He did get blown up on a punt coverage hit once where the whole crowd did the "ohhhhh" thing and I didn't think he'd get back up but he just jogged off the field. Hey he loves it so I let him play.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's a risk they're willing to take because in their judgment the reward outweighs it. Educate people on the risks associated with playing football, and then let them make their own decision.
this. if people chose to still play then it's their body. however, I can see someone arguing that their would be more pressure on those coming from a poor background to make it and get out of poverty, so they don't really have a "choice".

my husband, who is about all things football, said then they should ban hockey and boxing too.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
The last decade they have come to recognize the effects of concussions at the pro and college level, high schools are not there yet. The impact of playing football and even soccer has not been sufficiently addressed, there are studies in progress relative impact to concussions and a link to Lou Gehrig's (ALS) disease. Studies are underway for professional hockey, football and soccer players.

High school football and other sports beyond Jr. HS becomes a fairly violent sport.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No sports are entirely safe but many are SAFER, including hockey and football. Parents are allowed to say that their kids shouldn't play and I don't fight that at all. What I do complain with is painting the all the paintings with the same brush. This is what is happening when people say we should ban sodas, fattening foods, violence in movies and "violent sports."
Harrier agrees with you 100%.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The last decade they have come to recognize the effects of concussions at the pro and college level, high schools are not there yet. The impact of playing football and even soccer has not been sufficiently addressed, there are studies in progress relative impact to concussions and a link to Lou Gehrig's (ALS) disease. Studies are underway for professional hockey, football and soccer players.

High school football and other sports beyond Jr. HS becomes a fairly violent sport.
I haven't seen any linked to ALS. Do you have any links to those studies as I would like to take a look. This is a very interesting topic for me. Like you say many more studies need to be done a a much wider range than they have done already. I mean I played hi skool football 6A in KS back in the day highest level with the "big boys" and got my "bell rung" more than once but am no worse for the wear. I do feel though the longer you go the more chances you take and when you get into college and the NFL where guys are bigger, stronger and faster your chances rise but by then your an adult and can make your own choices. Back in the day you got your "bell rung" you just went back in. Now they take you off which is a good thing. That is what folks aren't realizing. That this is doing one thing..........making it safer but you got loons like this guy wanting to ban it. Scaring parents into not letting some kid who wants to play pee wee football makes no sense to me at all.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
The American Academy of Neurology has loads of articles on the long term neurological impact of football :

Search Results

Quote:
I haven't seen any linked to ALS.
Here you go:

Professional Football Players Have Higher ALS And Alzheimer's Death Risks - Medical News Today

Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is no guarantee that participation in those sports might not result in brain damage.Swimmers can drown, track athletes can be impaled in the head with a javelin and golfers or tennis players can be hit with a club or racket by angry competitors. Weighlifters can break their spinal cord by mishandling excessive weight. No sport is complely safe.

Like I said, let's ban all sports activities, lock ourselves in our homes, and live in a bubble. Why risk going outside?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
It's not taxing at a young age though. They aren't big enough to create the collisions you see in the NFL or college. You really think pee wee football players hit hard enough to hurt each other. Sure some fall wrong or what have you but most of the time their running around in circles. Even Jr. High kids aren't big enough to do any damage. What is occuring is liberals are scaring folks from letting their kids play football Whatever will they do when little Johnny goes in for a layup and gets undercut and gets a concussion from hitting his head on the hardwood floor of a basketball gym?

Correct. When they're that young, they don't have the strength, muscle mass, or bone density to hit that hard. Thats not to say that they don't get hurt, but more of the vicious hits come when their bodies start developing muscle mass, and their bones harden which is more into their high school years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies