Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times

Advertisements

Gladwell on danger of college football - YouTube

Certainly if we compare the health consequences of football and tobacco, and the disparate treatment from politicos, he has a point. If football came in a tinfoil-lined packet of twenty, would we not be restricting it from minors, enforced with compliance officers running sting operations? But instead we promote football in public ed both at the secondary and college level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times
Liberals: legalize drugs and ban physical education. You can't make this stuff up.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
The guy looks like a weirdo. Probably into beastiality.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
It's a risk they're willing to take because in their judgment the reward outweighs it. Educate people on the risks associated with playing football, and then let them make their own decision.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
I prefer supporting soccer, basketball, and baseball. I have lost interest in football.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's a risk they're willing to take because in their judgment the reward outweighs it. Educate people on the risks associated with playing football, and then let them make their own decision.
Actually this is a very important factor, I think if someone were to really weigh the two, they would realize that for most people in the NFL, there careers are short and the money isn't as much as the top earners and will risk bankruptcy with the medical issues in their future.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,162 times
Default malcolm gladwell argues for a ban on football...he makes good points.

What a maroon! First of all, Football at (all levels) is safer now than at
any other time in history. If they get any softer they'll be in dresses.
Compared to the 50s and 60s, it's like touch or flag football. For pure
toughness, Australian Rules Football or Rugby is much tougher.

Actually, if you want to lessen the risk of spinal cord injuries and/or
concussions, make them go back to leather helmets. Our helmets of
today aren't protection, they are weapons. Remove those weapons,
and guys will naturally hit more with their shoulders.

If you are really worried about death, and want to lessen chances of
being crippled or maimed, stay away from motor vehicles & hospitals.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:29 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I prefer supporting soccer, basketball, and baseball. I have lost interest in football.
Girl's soccer has the second highest concussion of all sports, and the rate in girl's soccer is rising much faster than football.
My daughter has a friend who got a concussion during a soccer game, and she is out of soccer for at least 4 months. The doctors may let her start playing again in January, but they said definitely not before then. My son plays tackle football in a Pop Warner league, and over the years he has played, we have never had a child on our team get a concussion.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:38 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Liberals: legalize drugs and ban physical education. You can't make this stuff up.
Umm, I'm not exactly a big-time liberal, but our tax dollars are going to a structured activity in which our kids knock each other's brains out. I love football--but it is totally crazy. If you like it, you better watch all the games you can...in its present form, it is going away.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Girl's soccer has the second highest concussion of all sports, and the rate in girl's soccer is rising much faster than football.
My daughter has a friend who got a concussion during a soccer game, and she is out of soccer for at least 4 months. The doctors may let her start playing again in January, but they said definitely not before then. My son plays tackle football in a Pop Warner league, and over the years he has played, we have never had a child on our team get a concussion.
Football is still first, and girl's soccer is double that of men's soccer, basically women probably shouldn't be head butting the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies