Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Good god people. I feel like I stepped into the twilight zone. The most outspoken conservatives are complaining that LTC isn't free and that they have to pay for the services they use. Just buy the LTC insurance if you have assets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 02:19 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Good god people. I feel like I stepped into the twilight zone. The most outspoken conservatives are complaining that LTC isn't free and that they have to pay for the services they use. Just buy the LTC insurance if you have assets.
I wonder if he was one of the people who told me that I should be taken care of by my family and not look for government assistance when I went through a stage IV cancer diagnosis a few months into my first professional job. Apparently facing homelessness while undergoing cancer treatment at 23 is less of a national crisis than a rich family keeping their "vast landholdings" in the family.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I wonder if he was one of the people who told me that I should be taken care of by my family and not look for government assistance when I went through a stage IV cancer diagnosis a few months into my first professional job. Apparently facing homelessness while undergoing cancer treatment at 23 is less of a national crisis than a rich family keeping their "vast landholdings" in the family.
I guess having vast land holdings means you need not practice personal responsibility.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, I am not confusing Medicaid and Medicare. When I made my original post, I was pointing out that our family was MADE AWARE of the 5 year lookback to fund elder care, NOT that we actually were forced to do so to avoid paying for elder care. Because, up until that point, we were not familiar with that aspect of the law, we were a bit taken aback by the whole idea of selling assets to pay for anything government related. Which, in turn, caused us to have a serious discussion about transferring assets.

I happen to hold the position that anyone with assets that they have worked hard for should not just automatically buy into the idea that those assets must be used for elder care. I think the average person would prefer the kids keep the assets instead of the government, and in my opinion, that's what should be done.

You can disagree. No problem.
So our tax dollars which we also worked hard for should go to permit you to keep family assets? Clearly you need to take a class in basic civics. You see, the government is us and perhaps we don't want to pay your way.

I always disagree with greed and hypocrisy. You can count on it.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You know who paid for my dads end of life care? We did. When the VA shot down his surgery for the tumors in his brain, we sold the house I grew up in to pay for it. When he was bed ridden for the last year of his life me sold his and my mothers retirement property to pay off their debt. My parents lived in my house, and I paid the bills while mom stayed home to take care of him. After he died, my mom went back to work to support herself. She is now 72 and still working, because she is too proud to live off of the government, or to accept my offer for her to come live with me.

So yes, some of us have lost all family assets to be responsible for our families expenses.
Now that your mother has sold all of the assets in order to pay for your dads care, who will pay for her care?

Taxpayers, right?

So, you were complaining about my posts for what reasons, exactly??

Old 12-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
So our tax dollars which we also worked hard for should go to permit you to keep family assets? Clearly you need to take a class in basic civics. You see, the government is us and perhaps we don't want to pay your way.

I always disagree with greed and hypocrisy. You can count on it.
As a fiscal conservative, I second your sentiments.

As others have stated, buy a Long Term Care supplemental or primary policy. You have the right to do so. If not, roll the dice, and you can choose land holdings or Granny dying in peace and comfort. I'm ok with you accepting either option, or buying LTC coverage.

I'm not onboard with an attempt to leech upon others.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Now that your mother has sold all of the assets in order to pay for your dads care, who will pay for her care?

Taxpayers, right?

DUH! HE SPENT their assets on care already. You are trying to leech onto others while enjoying assets still held.

A 1st grader could have seen through your hypocrisy.

PS, If you spend your assets on LTC on Granny, and need taxpayer help for Grandpa, I'm fine with that. But if you hold it away both times, you're just a Welfare recipient. The government should SEIZE your assets to recover on behalf of taxpayers.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:35 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Yes, my grandmother was very ill (near death) a few years ago and that's when my family became familiar with the 5-year lookback law that prevents people from divesting assets to immediate family members when someone gets sick. Luckily, my grandmother is still alive and her assets have been transferred over to my mother and her siblings. If she makes it past the 5 year mark, those assets will be untouchable and legitimately owned by my mother, etc.

I highly recommend anyone who seeks to protect family assets from being taken by the government to pay for health-related services in the sunset years that they divest assets sooner rather than later. There needs to be a 5 year gap between divestiture and a related death in the family. Otherwise, Uncle Sam gets it.

It appears that Obamacare took this old provision of the law and injected it with steroids. That's shameful.
So you made your Granny into a Leech?

Old 12-18-2013, 02:36 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:

Taxpayers, right?

Can you read? She works to support herself, and refuses to go on any type of welfare, or even come live with me as I have offered. So no, the taxpayers are not and will not be supporting her. She will support herself, until she decides to come live with me then I will support her.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Newsflash! The hospital/medical center can put a lien on everything you own to pay any medical bills that were not covered by insurance. This was the case for several decades now.
BIG BIG difference between a lien from a private entity and seizure by the government.

C'mon Man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies