Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times

Advertisements

What he said was his opinion and he said it because he was asked about it. And what he said was in reference to his perspective of "sin". He wasn't preaching or trying to change anyone else's mind in this "article". I didn't see him ranking the sins from worst to "not so bad, but still a sin".

Quote:
Robertson sparked a national debate on religion and tolerance in an interview with GQ magazine. The writer asked him what he considered to be sinful behavior.

Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” Robertson said.

Then he paraphrased Paul’s letter to the Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.
Quote:
A&E’s decision to pull Robertson from the show drew strong support from the gay and lesbian rights group GLAAD.

What’s clear is that such hateful anti-gay comments are unacceptable to fans, viewers, and networks alike,” said GLAAD rep Wilson Cruz. “By taking quick action and removing Robertson from future filming, A&E has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value.
'Duck Dynasty' debate explodes from TV to dinner tables, water coolers | Fox News

And a GLAAD spokesperson stated yesterday, that GLAAD has never received such backlash like the backlash it's receiving for speaking out against Robertson.

With respect to this quote of his:
Quote:
I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field. … They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word! … Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.
He said, "I never, with my eyes..."

Well, what was the question?

He said, "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy....?"

Well, was that under the same question or a different one? Either way, what was the question? And did he speak of those folks HE knew and what HE saw? Sounds like it to me.

Why wasn't it mentioned in the article that Phil has a black grandson and an Asian granddaughter (both adopted).

I can't find the full article that has the QUESTIONS posed to Robertson, is there one? All I can find on the GQ website are Robertson's "Views on:".

Until the GQ article writer grows a set and publishes it all, I'm going to keep thinking this was written with an agenda. Whatever it was - to create controversy for the Robertson's b/c someone's got an issue with bible thumpers (Robertson's term for himself, not mine) being on tv and LOVED by millions of viewers every week, or something else.

I also highly doubt A&E was unaware of his views before he was interviewed due to the fact that has always been open about them, yet in order to "not offend" the masses, A&E bleeps out "in Jesus' name" when they pray at the end of the show. Highly hypocritical of A&E.

I read a comment earlier and I thought it was great. Time Magazine just made the Pope "man of the year" while he holds the same views as Robertson does…but Robertson just got suspended from his tv show.

Last edited by JerseyG; 12-21-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God" - Mark 10-25

Sorry Phil.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 PM

37 posts, read 32,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What difference does that make? Spreading the message that gay people are heartless, ruthless, senseless murderers who bring death and invent evil is hate no matter the source of the idea. Phil's hate is hate regardless of whether he borrowed it from something he read or thought it up on his own.
Is that a direct quote.... And it is not hatred it is what he believes, that like millions of others across America called Christians, the small percentage of homosexuals in America are sinners.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
"It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God" - Mark 10-25

Sorry Phil.
You use one out of context quote to fit your argument. Ignorance.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Because even though we have pretty significant differences of opinions on most subjects you seem like one of the few logical left wing regulars on this forum. I'm literally shocked that you have this opinion, I'm somewhat hoping that you're just trolling.
Gay people have been subjected to vile mistreatment in the US for centuries. Execution, imprisonment, confinement to mental institutions rife with tortuous treatment such as castration and lobotomies, denial of rights, public chastisement/scorn/shame, family abandonment and ostracism, systematic assault and brutalization by the public and the police, etc, etc. And the one's who "escaped" this were forced to deny their humanity and live a shell of a life (personally, I'd prefer execution).

I find it very logical to consider that on par with the degree and pervasiveness with which this country mistreated black people. Different, but on par.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
If gays by now do not realize that many people see them as sinners and much like other sexual sins the they need to get into reality of the world. What they really need to worry about is those who threaten them harm for being gay .Chrisitan see them as sinners but its the sin not the sinners they hate. if gays believe Christian are going to promote sin they are conning themselves.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:34 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog_ View Post
You use one out of context quote to fit your argument. Ignorance.
Nope. Not out of context at all. Phil is the one who is using out of context quotes and hiding behind 'religion' to justify his prejudice.

He is a wealthy fake.

Last edited by Ceist; 12-21-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Gay people have been subjected to vile mistreatment in the US for centuries. Execution, imprisonment, confinement to mental institutions rife with tortuous treatment such as castration and lobotomies, denial of rights, public chastisement/scorn/shame, family abandonment and ostracism, systematic assault and brutalization by the public and the police, etc, etc. And the one's who "escaped" this were forced to deny their humanity and live a shell of a life (personally, I'd prefer execution).

I find it very logical to consider that on par with the degree and pervasiveness with which this country mistreated black people. Different, but on par.
You keep quoting these, and you write it and make it sound tragic and horrific as possible, yet you cannot present the numbers and the facts. Show me the 2nd or 1st sources and you will be accepted by me and the mainstream.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog_ View Post
Is that a direct quote....
Here's the direct quote:

"Women with women, men with men ... They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil ... So what are you gonna do Pennsylvania? Just run with them? You're going to die. Don't forget that."

Quote:
And it is not hatred it is what he believes
I understand that's what he believes. What he believes just happens to be incredibly hateful.

Quote:
that like millions of others across America called Christians, the small percentage of homosexuals in America are sinners.
A great many of my friends are Christians, and not a single one of them shares this belief with Phil. I do realize however that many do, and I find it shameful and sad that so many people are filled with this kind of hatred.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Nope. Phil is the one who is using out of context quotes and hiding behind 'religion' to justify his prejudice.

He is a wealthy fake.
Out of context quotes? Are you claiming sodomy and homosexuality are not sins in the bible? You are going as far as to contradict entire chapters and books in the bible saying they are out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies