Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:29 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times

Advertisements

Home - I am Second

Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
He doesn't hide anything about his past, he openly talks about it all the time during his public appearances and speaking engagements.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They've been airing episodes for the last 2 or 3 days that still have Phil in them everywhere, it doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Seems the show will be more popular now than ever.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Seems the show will be more popular now than ever.
It's certainly getting a lot more attention and it was quite popular before this ever came up.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
The religious factor to the show, is what makes them so popular.

A^E didn't catch that prior.... They do now!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The religious factor to the show, is what makes them so popular.

A^E didn't catch that prior.... They do now!
There is no religious factor other than the prayer at the end of each episode.

But you're correct. That's what makes the show popular.

People think Christian = good so long as the given person is not shoving their belief system in everyone's faces, and the cast of duck dynasty is very subtle about it. Therefore some people think: They're Christian. They're not jerks about it. They must therefore be morally upstanding people and a good example to the community.

The shallower Christians and non Christians also like the show, because they hardly even notice that prayer at the end and therefore see it as about as much of a religious program as Santa Claus is a religious figure.

The people who are heavily opposed to censorship are a large percentage of the population defending the show too though. It's not just the people who emphasize sinfulness of homosexuality.

A bunch of (probably) white heterosexuals, whether they're deeply religious or not think: censorship doesn't do anything for me. I don't like it. I want less of it.

I've historically tended to be one of those anti-censorship people. I'm growing to understand how various minorities view benefits to certain kinds of censorship. They're fighting for what benefits them most, which is oftentimes the censorship that teaches society things that are of assistance to them.

My white heterosexual people majority also fights for things that assist it. Our biggest threat is censorship, because I find it irritating and don't gain anything from it.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Seriously, I'm in church every Sunday and not once has bestiality been mentioned.
It's not the most pressing moral question of our times. Homosexuality is. Sometimes the Bible is going to rub you the wrong way. That's the nature of addressing sin. If we are committed to the authority of the Bible, we are going to confirm it's teaching.

The passage that Phil quoted is from I Corinthians 6:9-10. Here it is in the New International Version, which is the most popular version among evangelicals and conservative Christians:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Footnotes:

1 Corinthians 6:9 The words men who have sex with men translate two Greek words that refer to the passive and active participants in homosexual acts

I cor 6:9-10 NIV - Or do you not know that wrongdoers will - Bible Gateway

Effeminate - "malakoi," which means "soft" in Greek came to mean "effeminate," which is how the King James Version of the Bible translates it. It would refer to a boy in a relationship with an older man. Mankind - "arsenokotai", means "male sex." It refers to the other half in the man-boy relationship, common in Greece at the time, the older male having sex with the "soft one."

Old 12-21-2013, 06:38 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Be tolerant but only tolerant of those who believe the same things as you that is the mantra people have today

Old 12-21-2013, 06:39 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,723 times
The problem with the Christian religion is that it’s too much talk and too little action. It makes me wonder who are the true Christians? There are many that profess fervent religious beliefs, but few that practice them. How many have lived in imitation of the life of Christ? How many have followed his example? - Father Damien, Mother Teresa perhaps? There are many pretenders, but only a few saints to be found among all the pious frauds. The characteristic trait of Christ is selflessness, the rarest of all virtues. A true Christian does not proselytize, but performs good works; and does so anonymously, without fanfare or expectation of reward. I doubt that you find such persons in church counting their blessings, much less Republican politicians counting their campaign contributions. Indeed, one should be suspicious of those "Holier than Thou."

The writer George Bernard Shaw was once asked what he thought of Christianity. He paused to consider for a moment, and then, with a sly smile, answered: "I don't know; it might work if anyone ever tried it."

Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It's not the most pressing moral question of our times. Homosexuality is. Sometimes the Bible is going to rub you the wrong way. That's the nature of addressing sin. If we are committed to the authority of the Bible, we are going to confirm it's teaching.

The passage that Phil quoted is from I Corinthians 6:9-10. Here it is in the New International Version, which is the most popular version among evangelicals and conservative Christians:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Footnotes:

1 Corinthians 6:9 The words men who have sex with men translate two Greek words that refer to the passive and active participants in homosexual acts

I cor 6:9-10 NIV - Or do you not know that wrongdoers will - Bible Gateway

Effeminate - "malakoi," which means "soft" in Greek came to mean "effeminate," which is how the King James Version of the Bible translates it. It would refer to a boy in a relationship with an older man. Mankind - "arsenokotai", means "male sex." It refers to the other half in the man-boy relationship, common in Greece at the time, the older male having sex with the "soft one."
Actually, you're wrong. Malakoi meaning soft referred to moral character, not being effeminate. And Arsenokoites did not originally refer to same-sex behavior. In fact, in all classical usage after Paul coined the term, it's never even used in sexual vice lists. It referred to economic sins. It was also translated as masturbators for some time. It was a linguistic corruption that that word was changed to mean what it means in modern day Bibles. And Arsenokoites cannot refer to lesbians, which means homosexuality itself is not the topic ever being addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies