Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:50 AM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog_ View Post
Ignorance in the last sentence. Conservatives are not frustrated that he was "fired" we are frustrated because the quote has been removed from context completely. There is plenty of other posts like this....
I listened to the entire thing and he was talking about his interpretation on the bible and homosexuality and how he believes it will lead to beastly among other things and they will not be allowed in heaven. He went into quite gruesome detail about it too.

I don't agree with what he said, but I don't really care about his opinion either. I also don't care whether or not A&E kept him. However, watching Fox News, they have brought up the 1st amendment non-stop in this matter and Republicans are trying to boycott the network... it's rather stupid if you ask me.

Republicans are supposed to be in favor of businesses, yet they are all pissy because they decided to fire him over his comments.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:59 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,529,837 times
You could also ask why are Democrats mad at A&E or do you think only Republicans are?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 AM

37 posts, read 32,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I listened to the entire thing and he was talking about his interpretation on the bible and homosexuality and how he believes it will lead to beastly among other things and they will not be allowed in heaven. He went into quite gruesome detail about it too.

I don't agree with what he said, but I don't really care about his opinion either. I also don't care whether or not A&E kept him. However, watching Fox News, they have brought up the 1st amendment non-stop in this matter and Republicans are trying to boycott the network... it's rather stupid if you ask me.

Republicans are supposed to be in favor of businesses, yet they are all pissy because they decided to fire him over his comments.
First off "republicans" isn't a word that has much meaning anymore.... They are not trying they have successfully done so, 1.5 million people as of two days ago signed the petition. That is a movement in itself.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,843,977 times
"For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it," he says of doing the reality show. "All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I'll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That's 80 years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups."
(As GQ notes, Phil ignores centuries of war, bloodshed and human enslavement committed in the name of Christ.)
Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson Says Being Gay Is Illogical: A Vagina Is More Desirable Than a Man's Anus | E! Online

Old 12-22-2013, 04:27 AM

17,636 posts, read 17,723,504 times
TV networks and movie studios are selective about their outrage on things celebrities say. If the celebrity is in any way conservative, any form of controversial statement is lighter fluid on a fire. But if you're the darling of the liberal media you can call reporter by homophobic slurs, call a female politician by a term women despise, beat up your girlfriend, drown a woman in your Oldsmobile, be accused of rape and sexual assault by multiple women, and even drug and rape a 13 year old girl and they defend them loyally.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:44 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,340,514 times
First of all saying Vagina's are more desirable than an anus...I mean did he really have to go there? I don't know what to think about this. I think his statements really were typical judgmental babtist(I'm saved and your not so I am better than you mentality) and in poor taste. But they are his opinions and we all have opinions. I think it will be interesting to see how the family comes out of this...I hate to sound judgmental myself but I have never liked this family I just found them fake and superficial...

Old 12-22-2013, 04:45 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,357,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's not an infringement on free speech because A&E is a business! They have the right to fire whoever they want. Say you own a business and one of your employees says on the radio that his (you) boss is the worst human being in the world and will go to hell.

You really wouldn't fire that employee?

I'm a democrat, but even myself would not like it if I owned a business and wasn't able to fire my employee because he or she said something I find offensive or my customers might find offensive. Heck, I want to have the right to fire my employee for any reason. I don't want the government to say, "no bmw, you cannot fire him because of free speech".

Just like if I were an employee, if my boss said something I find very offensive, I would like to have the right to quit my job. Heck, I would want to have the right to quit my job for any reason.

So will you Republicans tell Fox News to shut up about him being fired and the 1st amendment... please! lol

Phil Robertson WILL appear in new Duck Dynasty episodes set for January as source claims network has no plans to fire reality star over homophobic comments
Read more: Phil Robertson WILL appear in new Duck Dynasty episodes set for January as source says network has no plans to fire reality star over homophobic comments | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Phil Robertson WILL appear in new Duck Dynasty episodes set for January as source says network has no plans to fire reality star over homophobic comments | Mail Online

Old 12-22-2013, 04:46 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,414,161 times
i dont think republicans care about dude getting "fired"

most i heard says a private company can do what they want

---

i think the people on tv that aren't liberal always fall into these interview traps

this is no different than the time that beauty pagent chick was asked about HER opinion on gay marriage

she didn't use any vile language or make any negative remarks when she stated HER opinion...however the media and gay groups immediately started trashing her and you seen musto and perez and all those cats started saying vile things about her and a taskforce was dispatched to "destroy" her for giving HER opinion.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:05 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
There sure ain't no 1st Amendment issues here. The Bill of Rights protects you from government, not private parties.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,220,022 times
A&E has every right to fire Phil, for whatever reason they want to fire him. I don't think anyone is really arguing against that.

I think what bothers people is sort of the "Double-standard". Where if someone badmouths a Christian, there are never any consequences. But if a Christian says anything about their beliefs that could be remotely offensive to certain groups, then its a war.

I mean, a gay person could effectively badmouth straight people, and no one really cares. But if a straight person badmouths a homosexual. Then there is going to be a war.

Its the same principle in regards to black people. There are plenty of famous black people who make disparaging remarks about white people, and we just ignore it. But if a white person makes a disparaging remark about black people, he is attacked from all sides.

In my opinion, this sort of has to do with the position that even MLK took on the issue. He tried to argue that, racism or bigotry, only matters if you have the power. Thus, since black people didn't have the power, it didn't matter if they were racist. That is basically the concept which creates the double-standard.

Basically, its OK for Atheists or homosexuals or Muslims or whoever to badmouth Christians. Because it doesn't really matter, Christians have the power. On the other hand, if Christians dare do the same, then they must be stopped at all costs.

If Chic-fil-a gives money to groups which want to "protect traditional marriage". They are attacked, with comments about how, his company shouldn't be taking money and giving it to his personal projects. On the other hand, there are dozens of companies who give money away to organizations pushing to make same-sex marriage legal. Does anyone really care?

I will say this. I am impressed by how militant the gay community is. How capable they are of "rallying their troops" for a cause.

If Christians, who represent the vast majority of the US population, could rally their troops half as well as the same-sex marriage crowd. This country would be a hell of a lot different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies