Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um, the unemployment rate is ALREADY down to 6.5% - and LOWER. It's now 6.3% (hit that LAST MONTH) - and the S&P 500 hit an ALL TIME HIGH yesterday.

Any other worthless financial advice to offer?

Ken
I know that dummy - see the Too late....

Any other worthless financial advice to offer? Yes - You'll see

Oh, I forgot one thing and I'm serious
- there's a lot of withdrawal that goes along with addictions

And of course, there is the simply advice of what goes UP must come DOWN....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:42 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Yes - You'll see
You folks have been singing the same tired tune for 5 years now - and I'm STILL waiting to see what you've predicted actually HAPPEN.

Based on you folks' past record, I'll be waiting a LONGGGGGG time.

Ken

Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
You folks have been singing the same tired tune for 5 years now - and I'm STILL waiting to see what you've predicted actually HAPPEN.
Oh, so this is an Obama thing with you

Old 05-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:

....And of course, there is the simply advice of what goes UP must come DOWN....
Why?
That's certainly not been the case for the last 200+ years.

Ken

Old 05-24-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Oh, so this is an Obama thing with you
No, but it's apparently "an Obama thing" with the wingnuts - who can't seem to accept the fact that the economy recovered with Obama as President.

Ken

Old 05-24-2014, 09:04 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
It wasn't "overvalued" - and in fact cumulative 401K totals are back to all-time highs.

Ken
so you believe congress is doing an exceptional job then?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so you believe congress is doing an exceptional job then?
Why would you think I believe that?
Congress isn't doing anything - and hasn't since 2011.

Ken

Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
No, but it's apparently "an Obama thing" with the wingnuts - who can't seem to accept the fact that the economy recovered with Obama as President.
I'm actually glad the economy is getting back on track
Then we can end QE, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/bu...-out.html?_r=0

"Fed Challenge: Pull Back Without Pulling the Rug Out
MARCH 15, 2014"

"In a speech in Mexico City on March 5, Mr. Fisher said, “There are increasing signs quantitative easing has overstayed its welcome: Market distortions and acting on bad incentives are becoming more pervasive.” He listed a series of stock valuation measures and said they were “at eye-popping levels not seen since the dot-com boom of the late 1990s.”

Mr. Fisher’s view appears to be a minority one at the Fed, but he makes some telling points. Certainly, as the stock market reaches ever more impressive milestones, it’s important, as he says, to monitor market indicators very carefully, “to ensure that the ghost of ‘irrational exuberance’ does not haunt us again.”

Long story short; manipulation has a way of coming back to bite you

Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 AM

https://mninews.marketnews.com/index...-large-qe-ends

THURSDAY, MAY 22, 2014 - 19:08
SF Fed's Williams: Communication Issues Looms Large As QE Ends
By Catherine Hollande

"One challenge for the Fed will be unwinding its balance sheet and raising interest rates without disrupting markets or harming the economy. On Wednesday, Williams told the Wall Street Journal he would prefer to wait until the Fed raises interest rates, which have been near zero since December 2008, to take any steps to shrink the Fed's balance sheet.

One way to do that is to stop investing the proceeds of maturing bonds into new securities, a step the Fed has publicly said it expected to take prior to raising interest rates.

Williams reiterated Thursday his position on doing reinvestment after interest rates liftoff from zero. "In my own view, this issue that the public and the markets struggle with understanding - how we move these two different instruments separately from each other - has been really hard, and in a way, try(ing) to say we're going to move on the reinvestment first and then raise interest rates, I think that could be more confusing," he told reporters."

Long story short; confusion is never a good thing for the market

Old 05-24-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'm actually glad the economy is getting back on track
Then we can end QE, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/bu...-out.html?_r=0

"Fed Challenge: Pull Back Without Pulling the Rug Out
MARCH 15, 2014"

"In a speech in Mexico City on March 5, Mr. Fisher said, “There are increasing signs quantitative easing has overstayed its welcome: Market distortions and acting on bad incentives are becoming more pervasive.” He listed a series of stock valuation measures and said they were “at eye-popping levels not seen since the dot-com boom of the late 1990s.”

Mr. Fisher’s view appears to be a minority one at the Fed, but he makes some telling points. Certainly, as the stock market reaches ever more impressive milestones, it’s important, as he says, to monitor market indicators very carefully, “to ensure that the ghost of ‘irrational exuberance’ does not haunt us again.”

Long story short; manipulation has a way of coming back to bite you
Quantitative Easing IS ending and will be done by the end of the year - and the market will likely be fine, with any adverse impacts to the market being short-lived and fairly minor compared to the gains of the last five years.

The article you linked to really doesn't make much of a case for anything. Not sure even what your point was.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies