Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
They don't have a back yard?
This was mentioned. Not sunny enough for what they wanted to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Miami Shores is a suburb of Miami. They are free to establish zoning laws as they see fit. It's likely a majority of the people who live there, support the ban on no front lawn gardens. Some may view it as an eyesore that hurts their property values.
Why did it take 17 years to decide it was an eyesore? Nope, something else is going on here but, as usual, libbies like to stick their heads in the sand and get all militant about rules.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why did it take 17 years to decide it was an eyesore? Nope, something else is going on here but, as usual, libbies like to stick their heads in the sand and get all militant about rules.
Inasmuch as this was government at the very lowest level, are you just an anarchist or what?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:36 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Couple forced to dig this up – a garden they've had for 17 years.

To what points of ridiculous foolishness do government entities go? Read this to get your dander up @ Prison Planet.com » Florida Couple Forced to Dig Up 17-Year Old Organic Garden
Growing your own food is a sign that you are independent.... If you are independent than that means that you don't have to depend on government.... if you don't have to depend on government than that means they have no way of controlling you so.... makes sense.

Anyway, if I were this couple and they demanded that I dug up my garden... then dig it up I shall! I'd have it such a muddy mess it's be unrecognizable...

Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Over time people change that's what happened.
Now people want to live in antiseptic "Stepford communities" where everything looks the same, neat as a pin.

They don't like trailers, they don't like RV's, they don't like clotheslines, they don't like vegetables growing in the front yard, they don't like your garbage can on the street five minutes after the truck leaves, they don't like your grass 1 inch longer than the rules state, they give you a list of paint colors and have to approve anything you want to do with your property.

Usually zoning law changes grandfather in those that would be breaking the new law.
Seems in this case they didn't and probably some new home buyer doesn't want their home value to go down because of it.

And that is why I live out in the country..far, far away from the Stepford people.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
All rights in property, whether in fee, tenancy, license or incorporeal hereditament, exist only to the extent provided by law. Nor are you free to do anything you wish with your property. The old shibboleth that "a man's home is his castle" was never true, for all property rights have always been subject to the power of the federal, state and municipal authority, witness the myriad laws, statutes, zoning ordinances, easements, rights or way, and use restrictions that limit the rights of property ownership. Even a prescriptive right is only valid to the extent recognized by law. If you need further proof, just try putting on an addition to your house without a building permit and see what happens to you, not to mention your property. (Recently, the owner of an office high-rise in San Diego with an approved permit had to take off the top two floors of his building because they intruded on federal airspace.) There are some jurisdictions (e.g., Glendale, Arizona) that even regulate the amount of water your toilet can flush! So if you think you’re king of your castle, you’d better start using a chamber pot for a throne.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
All rights in property, whether in fee, tenancy, license or incorporeal hereditament, exist only to the extent provided by law. Nor are you free to do anything you wish with your property. The old shibboleth that "a man's home is his castle" was never true, for all property rights have always been subject to the power of the federal, state and municipal authority, witness the myriad laws, statutes, zoning ordinances, easements, rights or way, and use restrictions that limit the rights of property ownership. Even a prescriptive right is only valid to the extent recognized by law. If you need further proof, just try putting on an addition to your house without a building permit and see what happens to you, not to mention your property. (Recently, the owner of an office high-rise in San Diego with an approved permit had to take off the top two floors of his building because they intruded on federal airspace.) There are some jurisdictions (e.g., Glendale, Arizona) that even regulate the amount of water your toilet can flush! So if you think you’re king of your castle, you’d better start using a chamber pot for a throne.
You can move further out where regulations are minimal.

I can build my outbuildings and don't need permits or approvals.
As long as there is no electric the county doesn't put a value on them.

There are definitely rules that we all should follow for our properties.
But some are ridiculous.

I rented in a subdivision while my house was being built and I got dinged for not bringing my trash can up the driveway after the garbage men left (most people have to work for a living).
I got a note on the door that someone saw clothes hanging in the backyard (no clotheslines allowed). I had hung some sweaters to dry off tree branches and the backyard had a 6ft fence around it.
I got told the fall leaves had to be cleaned up every day as they made my front yard look "messy".
(I made some piles and let my son and his friends jump in the leaves and have fun).

I knew I couldn't live in these types of communities and never planned to.
I don't know what I'm going to do when I get too old to live out in the country.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Over time people change that's what happened.
Now people want to live in antiseptic "Stepford communities" where everything looks the same, neat as a pin.

They don't like trailers, they don't like RV's, they don't like clotheslines, they don't like vegetables growing in the front yard, they don't like your garbage can on the street five minutes after the truck leaves, they don't like your grass 1 inch longer than the rules state, they give you a list of paint colors and have to approve anything you want to do with your property.

Usually zoning law changes grandfather in those that would be breaking the new law.
Seems in this case they didn't and probably some new home buyer doesn't want their home value to go down because of it.

And that is why I live out in the country..far, far away from the Stepford people.
That is so very true. You have to read those covenants carefully before you buy. In my sub-division I am not allowed to own more than three dogs, or have dead vehicles on my property, and all heavy equipment must be gone from the property within 24 hours of completing the work. I found those restrictions to be acceptable before I purchased my property.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Inasmuch as this was government at the very lowest level, are you just an anarchist or what?
When it comes to busy bodies getting up in arms about someone's garden, then I guess you can call me that. It's a stupid rule.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:13 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Much of what goes on at a local level is done so administratively, so is really not representative of the so-called citizens. There is much that gets obfuscated in the background where money can be made. Have no idea how what she said has anything to do with anarchy.

Unfortunately all of Florida has been counting on real estate and tourism as their economy base. They had no reason to question it til it didn't seem to work so well anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies