U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 11,076,442 times

Advertisements

First-grader suspended for Simpsons-inspired violent drawing

An Oregon 1st-grader was suspended this week for drawing a stick figure performing an act of violence upon another stick figure. I don't know how he got off with such a slap on the wrist, but both stick figures were White so I guess it can't be prosecuted as a hate crime. Nevertheless, the whole ordeal has the Reich-wingers throwing their predictable tantrums. It's an example, they claim, of political correctness gone amuck, and a public educational system that has surrendered common sense to hysteria. But as usual, they've missed the point entirely.

The child's crude sketch is merely a symptom of his psychosis - the beginning stages of his spiraling descent into madness. Today he's simply scribbling with his pencil, but tomorrow he'll be adding color to his violent imagery with Crayola crayons. From there he'll progress to magic markers, then expensive technical pens, and possibly even an airbrush purchased through the Art Show Loophole. Then one day we'll read in the papers about the stash of illegal art supplies the authorities found in his bedroom, but by then it will be too late. He'll already have a career in the comic book industry.

The poor boy's mother and father may not have the necessary parenting skills to chemically lobotomize him before he can do himself serious harm, but the school district has the safety of their students to consider.

Think of all the feelings that could have been spared, and trees saved, if someone had the foresight to take a young Jack Kirby's crayon's away before he could threaten anyone with them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM

15,370 posts, read 37,043,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post

An Oregon 1st-grader was suspended this week for drawing a stick figure performing an act of violence upon another stick figure. I don't know how he got off with such a slap on the wrist, but both stick figures were White so I guess it can't be prosecuted as a hate crime. Nevertheless, the whole ordeal has the Reich-wingers throwing their predictable tantrums. It's an example, they claim, of political correctness gone amuck, and a public educational system that has surrendered common sense to hysteria. But as usual, they've missed the point entirely.

The child's crude sketch is merely a symptom of his psychosis - the beginning stages of his spiraling descent into madness. Today he's simply scribbling with his pencil, but tomorrow he'll be adding color to his violent imagery with Crayola crayons. From there he'll progress to magic markers, then expensive technical pens, and possibly even an airbrush purchased through the Art Show Loophole. Then one day we'll read in the papers about the stash of illegal art supplies the authorities found in his bedroom, but by then it will be too late. He'll already have a career in the comic book industry.

The poor boy's mother and father may not have the necessary parenting skills to chemically lobotomize him before he can do himself serious harm, but the school district has the safety of their students to consider.

Think of all the feelings that could have been spared, and trees saved, if someone had the foresight to take a young Jack Kirby's crayon's away before he could threaten anyone with them.
I think back.....and wonder how I managed NOT to kill 300 people and rape, pillage and plunder countless cities and villages.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM

937 posts, read 2,712,352 times
In 1st grade, I drew a picture of a naked woman on the chalkboard. I didn't know any better at the time. I didn't turn out to be a rapist or a sex freak either. Most likely nothing is wrong with the child, he just needs to be told that its not the right thing to do.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:22 PM

35,050 posts, read 61,374,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post

they could just chop off his hands and be done with it.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 PM

17,879 posts, read 17,469,500 times
If today's educators saw the Roman, Viking, Indian and WWII battles my friends and I drew way back in elementry school they would drop a pantload and faint.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:57 AM

2,175 posts, read 8,727,413 times
I remember back when I was young playing cowboys and bad guys with the neighborhood kids. We had toy cap guns in holsters. We must have shot each other hundreds of times. None of us that I know of ever turned into violent people. It was just a game.
Kids will be kids and some of our PC correct people in authority want to turn everything into a worse case scenerio even if it is just an innocent kid thing. In some schools you can get suspended for giving your best friend a quick hug. I would sure like to see just plain old common sense revived.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,936,495 times
The parents who have educated themselves and are making a statement against the government run schools, are taking their children OUT of these warehouses and home schooling. What used to be a "hair brained idea" by fringers, is now a very wise and prudent choice for those who cannot afford private schools.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 AM

436 posts, read 725,223 times
Another example of the government school system going crazy, and getting completely out of hand. Maybe the parents should meet with the school board and emphasize exactly how STUPID the board or district is being.

Kids are kids- they need to draw, they need to play, they need to engage in Tag, and sports. They need to express themselves. So far, the government agencies have done a fine job of turning them into little robots, being able to do only what is dictated to them, and not permitted to be kids.

Another child was recently suspended for having his hair cut in the shape of the dallas cowboy's star emblem. His hair cut was "disruptive" to others.

Teachers and schools are sometimes totally out of control. And no, I don't throw a party over the new rules. I think they are ridiculous.

Perhaps the schools should try somethiing different- like teaching.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,648,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
If today's educators saw the Roman, Viking, Indian and WWII battles my friends and I drew way back in elementry school they would drop a pantload and faint.
I'd been kicked out for life...

Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM

5,871 posts, read 8,559,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
In 1st grade, I drew a picture of a naked woman on the chalkboard. I didn't know any better at the time. I didn't turn out to be a rapist or a sex freak either. Most likely nothing is wrong with the child, he just needs to be told that its not the right thing to do.
You were an advanced little tyke, weren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies