Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think the issue is "do all the right things" and become the enemy (and that's a victim mentality that is completely irrational), the issue is "make one mistake" and become worthless to society. I appreciate that your son applied to Target and went through a process. But with on-line applications being so common, do you not think that some people might have been weeded out prior to the initial interview?

I'm not opposed to all background checks or credit checks. My posts clearly reflect that I think employers are entitled to verify that a person is competent and able to perform the job successfully. I just think that employers are using background checks preemptively to weed out applicants, and going beyond the qualifications and requirements of the job. That, to me, is where it needs to stop. Employers should not go beyond the qualifications and requirements of the job to invade a prospective employee's privacy.

Privacy is a key component of freedom. Without privacy, you cannot have freedom. That's the whole point of why our voting system does not allow a person's vote to be tracked.
There's a bigger issue going on in America.
People can't be trusted anymore.
Ethics are gone and what they can get away with they can.

Where my son works now they used to be able to get a meal and take it home if they waited til their shift was over.
That's all changed now since one worker took home a 20lb brisket one night.
That worker no longer works there but now no one can get food after their shift is over.

People are not trustworthy anymore. And employers just can't afford to take the risk, especially the small ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

42,732 posts, read 29,756,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those were Warren's words, not mine.
YOUR words were:

Do all the right things and it seems you're the enemy now.

18,782 posts, read 17,294,414 times
My guess is that the credit checks became popular among employers because prior employment references became useless due to litigation. Now the only 'reference' most prior employers will provide is start date and end date, from what I'm told. Too many were sued for giving a negative reference.

Law of unintended consequences--now your credit score becomes your reference.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,940,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
My guess is that the credit checks became popular among employers because prior employment references became useless due to litigation. Now the only 'reference' most prior employers will provide is start date and end date, from what I'm told. Too many were sued for giving a negative reference.

I'm thinking that Bernie Madoff likely had a great credit rating. If something else is broke that should be fixed, not allow more and more of our private information released.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
YOUR words were:

Do all the right things and it seems you're the enemy now.
Warren said the deck was stacked in favor of financially stable people and that wasn't fair.

Tell me that means something else.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
There's a bigger issue going on in America.
People can't be trusted anymore.
Ethics are gone and what they can get away with they can.

Where my son works now they used to be able to get a meal and take it home if they waited til their shift was over.
That's all changed now since one worker took home a 20lb brisket one night.
That worker no longer works there but now no one can get food after their shift is over.

People are not trustworthy anymore. And employers just can't afford to take the risk, especially the small ones.
If all people are not trustworthy anymore, then background checks and credit checks are irrelevant. It's up to the workplace to put measures in to prevent theft. Which is what the place where your son works has done. The risk isn't in employers limiting their applicant verifications to things that actually apply to the job. The risk is in employers being too lazy or too stupid to proactively prevent theft.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Employers only verify employment dates now.
Yup..litigation casts a heavy shadow over past employers.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Warren said the deck was stacked in favor of financially stable people and that wasn't fair.

Tell me that means something else.
It means that after a devastating recession, good, competent, and dependable people got dings on their credit that hurts them as they try to find jobs.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
If all people are not trustworthy anymore, then background checks and credit checks are irrelevant. It's up to the workplace to put measures in to prevent theft. Which is what the place where your son works has done. The risk isn't in employers limiting their applicant verifications to things that actually apply to the job. The risk is in employers being too lazy or too stupid to proactively prevent theft.
This company operated for years with that rule in place.

Blame the employer for being too lazy because an employee did the unethical ?

Like I told my son all throughout his life so far…all it takes is for one person to cheat or steal or lie and everyone feels the impact now.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
It means that after a devastating recession, good, competent, and dependable people got dings on their credit that hurts them as they try to find jobs.
You have no proof or statistics.

My sister has one bankruptcy on her record and has never had a problem getting a job.
She worked her way back and even got a new car loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies