Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 10:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This company operated for years with that rule in place.

Blame the employer for being too lazy because an employee did the unethical ?
No but don't insist that my private personal information gets released because some employee's are unethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No but don't insist that my private personal information gets released because some employee's are unethical.
When you apply for a job it's all right there on the application.
If you sign it then you are allowing the company to do checks on you.

It used to be you went into a store, filled out an application, had the interview right there and got hired on the spot if the interview went well.

Now you have this convoluted "process" complete with IQ type of tests for entry level jobs.

I saw what my son went though at 16 to get his first job and what hoops people have to jump through these days is more than I ever had to do for any job I had.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm thinking that Bernie Madoff likely had a great credit rating. If something else is broke that should be fixed, not allow more and more of our private information released.
That is a rational thought, however in practice, the trial lawyers are a very powerful lobbying group, and there is little chance of a fix in that regard. The interesting question is that if people like Warren succeed in banning the use of credit checks, what unintended consequence will come out of that? Hmmm...employers checking online posting history, perhaps? Wasn't there already a case where applicants were asked to turn over their facebook passwords or some such thing?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I don't see why they have to run a credit check for employment. From everything I've read it's about as useless as drug screening.

However, I disagree with a federal mandate forbidding the practice. Employers will simply hire third party firms to check your background anyway.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
You have no proof or statistics.

My sister has one bankruptcy on her record and has never had a problem getting a job.
She worked her way back and even got a new car loan.
Do you think Elizabeth Warren hasn't heard from her constituents who have had problems?

First you try to put the word "enemy" into Elizabeth Warren's mouth, then you use one personal example to try to debunk the facts. And there are statistics. There was even a study cited earlier in this thread about the difficulties convicts face in getting jobs, any kind of job.

Your personal experience aside, the FACT is that credit checks are increasingly being performed as part of the background checks in the workplace, even when a person's creditworthiness has nothing to do with the job they are applying for. Those credit checks are being used to weed out candidates for those jobs. And it is unfair, if the job has nothing to do with handling money or confidentiality. Good credit is being used as a qualification when it's not relevant to the work being performed. That's unfair. And noting that an injustice does not translate to calling the beneficiaries of an injustice "enemies". It's simply noting an injustice.

Employers should verify what they NEED to verify. When they go further, they are violating the privacy of potential employees. That's all that Elizabeth Warren is saying. And it's a perfectly sensible position to take.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
When you apply for a job it's all right there on the application.
If you sign it then you are allowing the company to do checks on you.
Which is the problem.

Quote:
It used to be you went into a store, filled out an application, had the interview right there and got hired on the spot if the interview went well.

Now you have this convoluted "process" complete with IQ type of tests for entry level jobs.

I saw what my son went though at 16 to get his first job and what hoops people have to jump through these days is more than I ever had to do for any job I had.
I "failed" one of those tests. LOL I answered it completely honestly. They asked me to come back in and retake it. Obviously they liked the rest of my qualifications so the test was meaningless. It's just an excuse to not hire someone.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I agree with this. It is a privacy issue. An employer has no right to my credit report. If anything, I should be the one asking about their finances (I've had an employer go out of business and then not pay me my last check)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
They have to ask you first. But they could make it a stipulation for employment.

This bill would make it illegal for them to ask.
actually there is a valid reason for them to check you credit rating

and meanwhile the credit rating effects their INSURANCE, especially for the truck driver...but also for the secretary who need a ride to work

you do understand automotive (driving) insurance is based on accidents, tickets, and credit rating

How credit scores affect insurance rates

you understand that mechanic has to be LICENSED on EVERYTHING he may work on

your credit rating also affects your HEALTH INSURANCE rates....something an employer is VERY INTERESTED in

Credit Score

Quote:
When thinking about your credit score, insurance premiums probably don’t come to mind. But your credit score can actually affect your insurance premiums, and it’s important to know how.

In order to maintain control over your financial life, it’s important to fully understand every aspect of it. This includes knowing which factors are interrelated, and how. But when it comes to your credit score affecting health insurance premiums, many people are clueless.

When you apply for an insurance policy, many factors go into the process of deciding what kind of monthly payment you will be charged. But more often than not, the insurance company first pulls your credit score to know a little more about you. What happens then is simple: if your credit score is low, you will be charged a higher insurance premium. If your credit score is high, you will be offered a health insurance policy with a lower premium. Of course, this is just one of many criteria that are considered when deciding a person’s premium, but it can have more of an affect than you would think.

Insurance companies do not look at your credit score in a normal sense, as a mortgage lender would examine it when evaluating a mortgage application. Instead, they look at something developed specifically for the insurance industry, known as your “insurance score.” This score is different than your traditional Fair Isaac Corporation (FICO) score, though the two are generally correlated. If you know your FICO score is low, your insurance score most likely is as well.

So what is this insurance score? It deals with areas of your credit directly applicable to the insurance industry. Most people do not know their insurance credit score, but it can be purchased, along with a copy of your report, from a company called True Credit. This company provides insurance credit scores to individuals who are curious about their chances for a low insurance premium, what they deserve, and what to expect.

If you have a low credit score and a low insurance credit score, however, all hope for a low health insurance premium is not lost. Chances are you do not want to pay more than you have to for your insurance premiums, and while this is a problem that can be difficult to get around, there are other things you can possibly do to lower your insurance premiums.

you credit rating has a vast effect on what happens in your life

Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That is a rational thought, however in practice, the trial lawyers are a very powerful lobbying group, and there is little chance of a fix in that regard. The interesting question is that if people like Warren succeed in banning the use of credit checks, what unintended consequence will come out of that? Hmmm...employers checking online posting history, perhaps? Wasn't there already a case where applicants were asked to turn over their facebook passwords or some such thing?
I disagree with turning over passwords also. If you post something stupid online though and it's seen that was stupid on your part. Long story but I was able to get my son to understand this based upon something he wrote. He deleted his Facebook.

It's only so hard to do something because people will not stand up for themselves.

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
This company operated for years with that rule in place.

Blame the employer for being too lazy because an employee did the unethical ?

Like I told my son all throughout his life so far…all it takes is for one person to cheat or steal or lie and everyone feels the impact now.
No, don't blame the employer for being too lazy because an employee was a thief. Blame the employer for operating his business poorly. All employers are responsible for protecting their inventory and receipts. That's part of being a business person.

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

The background check would reveal a felony conviction, but you can have perfect credit and have a conviction. The credit bureau's just list your bill payment history.
There's an optional supplemental criminal history part of credit reports that show convictions, including misdemeanors. Small retail businesses that choose to run credit reports are most likely to opt in for the expanded version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies