Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Giving people free stuff does not in any way make a decision for them about whether or not they're going to steal from you.

I like how you completely bypassed the point of my post, though. So, would you be willing to trade maintaining the privacy of your credit score for lower wages and being watched as if you were a criminal?
Giving people access to product without oversight opens the door to people having the option to steal from you.

I didn't bypass the "point" of your post, because it wasn't a point. It was a conclusion based on thin air. I don't have to trade my privacy for lower wages and being watched as if I were a criminal. I can argue with ample foundation that my credit score is not evidence of any criminal tendencies on my part. A criminal record might be evidence of criminal tendencies, but the range of reasons for a low credit score are so numerous that statistically and realistically the association cannot be made. Someone fresh out of college might have a low score because they have NO credit history. Someone whose wife had unexpected complications might have a low score because the 20% co-pay tapped out all their resources and they got behind on some bills. I know someone whose score took a ding because they bought a house, and the previous owner hadn't paid a plumbing bill, so the plumber took out a lien. The new homeowner knew nothing about it, but it appeared on his credit report.

The rationale behind using credit reports to weed out potential employees is based on associating low credit scores with criminality, but the association is so tenuous that the rationale is rendered moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I don't see anything about "renewals" in there. Just a statute of limitations. I'm not saying you're wrong, although I believe that you are, but can you cite the specific law or portion of the FCRA which allows them to do what you claim?
If a judgement is renewed the statute of limitations is extended. MI allows judgements to be renewed indefinitely.

Quote:
§ 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports [15 U.S.C. § 1681c]

(a) Information excluded from consumer reports. Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information:

(1) Cases under title 11 [United States Code] or under the Bankruptcy Act that, from the date of entry of the order for relief or the date of adjudication, as the case may be, antedate the report by more than 10 years.

(2) Civil suits, civil judgments, and records of arrest that from date of entry, antedate the report by more than seven years or until the governing statute of limitations has expired, whichever is the longer period.

(3) Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years.

(4) Accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate the report by more than seven years.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The credit score serves no purpose if it's private information.

Again, you have to agree to release it.
That would be a good point if the option to release it OR NOT were a true option. When an employer demands it, a potential employee doesn't have any true option. They consent, or take themselves out of the running for a job. When the majority of employers demand consent, then the potential employee's real option is to consent or to become permanently unemployed. That's well and good if the credit score is actually relevant to the tasks the employee is required to perform, but if the credit score is simply a way to disqualify people and has nothing to do with the job, then requiring the employee to provide that information is unfair. It's like requiring someone to testify in court against themselves.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That would be a good point if the option to release it OR NOT were a true option. When an employer demands it, a potential employee doesn't have any true option. They consent, or take themselves out of the running for a job. When the majority of employers demand consent, then the potential employee's real option is to consent or to become permanently unemployed. That's well and good if the credit score is actually relevant to the tasks the employee is required to perform, but if the credit score is simply a way to disqualify people and has nothing to do with the job, then requiring the employee to provide that information is unfair. It's like requiring someone to testify in court against themselves.
It's right there on the application.
Don't want to to it then go somewhere else to find a job.

These people are not being forced AFTER the fact.
It's right there up front.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Most people get bad credit because they lost a job.
I seriously doubt this.

People with protracted lousy credit scores tend to live substantially beyond their means. They are addicted to credit. Have a bad day? Go out and buy something else you cannot afford to make yourself feel better. Some dig out of their messes and others don't seem to learn any lessons.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Pennies on the dollar? The scavengers with which I have talked all demanded more than 50% of the (inflated by time and interest and fees) debt.
Negotiate, using your present income as the basis.

Being a protracted victim is a choice.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Giving people access to product without oversight opens the door to people having the option to steal from you.

I didn't bypass the "point" of your post, because it wasn't a point. It was a conclusion based on thin air. I don't have to trade my privacy for lower wages and being watched as if I were a criminal. I can argue with ample foundation that my credit score is not evidence of any criminal tendencies on my part. A criminal record might be evidence of criminal tendencies, but the range of reasons for a low credit score are so numerous that statistically and realistically the association cannot be made. Someone fresh out of college might have a low score because they have NO credit history. Someone whose wife had unexpected complications might have a low score because the 20% co-pay tapped out all their resources and they got behind on some bills. I know someone whose score took a ding because they bought a house, and the previous owner hadn't paid a plumbing bill, so the plumber took out a lien. The new homeowner knew nothing about it, but it appeared on his credit report.

The rationale behind using credit reports to weed out potential employees is based on associating low credit scores with criminality, but the association is so tenuous that the rationale is rendered moot.
You said that credit ratings shouldn't affect employment, and if an employee steals, it's the employers fault. THAT is what you said. You want to remove one of the tools employers have to judge trustworthiness of a prospective employee, and then blame the employer when they hire someone that's untrustworthy.

Unbelievable.

As usual, debating you is akin to debating a brick wall. Both are dense and unable to comprehend the simplest concepts.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I seriously doubt this.

People with protracted lousy credit scores tend to live substantially beyond their means. They are addicted to credit. Have a bad day? Go out and buy something else you cannot afford to make yourself feel better. Some dig out of their messes and others don't seem to learn any lessons.
Average cc debt is $15K and it's not paid off monthly either.
Yes, Americans are still living beyond their means in spite of the recession.

Average cc debt has gone up 13% since September 2013..that's up 13% in 2 months.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credi...ebt-household/

Old 12-20-2013, 12:21 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If a judgement is renewed the statute of limitations is extended.
Can you cite a law which supports that statement?

Old 12-20-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Truly??

I've seen my full credit report, and I never saw such a section. Of course, I've never been convicted of a felony, but why and where would that be on a credit report?
It's a supplemental report. Employers pay a tad more for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies