Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 AM

471 posts, read 600,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually, we CAN if there is a surplus of labor. A surplus of labor certainly exists today, and this is one way in which surplus labor is being assimilated into a vast new underclass.
Yep, just that easy, just assimilatin' dat excess labor, kinda like a trash compactor, gobbles it right up. Hardly even human beings we're talking about here, just "excess labor".

Typical selfish libertarian view and totally bogus, you can NOT have a safe stable society. You sound like a modern day Marie Antoinette.

Let them eat cake

I hope you can pay to support this vast new underclass. Otherwise, history tells us the alternative is not so good. I'm not sure they'll just accept being in a vast new underclass in peace and harmony.

The greatest safety buffer for the wealthy, is a strong, large middle class. A two class society, with a large underclass is inherently unstable, tyrannical, and abusive. It has to be to keep so many disenfranchised people without opportunity, under control.

But hey, as long as you've got yours, right!?

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 12-21-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Typical selfish libertarian view and totally bogus, you can NOT have a safe stable society. You sound like a modern day Marie Antoinette.
The view is not Libertarian. I don't know why people want to blame everything no matter what it is on some boogyman they see as the enemy.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Target stopped asking about criminal history on their applications.
This came after a few states already banned companies from asking.

So besides this 'credit check' issue companies are also dropping criminal past investigation.
Are that many people in financial trouble and have criminal records that we're going to "overlook" this ?

The fact that over 40 million Target shoppers got their CC/Debit cards hacked by the software on the Target swipe machine indicates that Target may have trusted the wrong people to work in their IT dept.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:41 AM

471 posts, read 600,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Target stopped asking about criminal history on their applications.
This came after a few states already banned companies from asking.

So besides this 'credit check' issue companies are also dropping criminal past investigation.
Are that many people in financial trouble and have criminal records that we're going to "overlook" this ?

The fact that over 40 million Target shoppers got their CC/Debit cards hacked by the software on the Target swipe machine indicates that Target may have trusted the wrong people to work in their IT dept.
The attack came from overseas, so likely no, this had nothing to do with the dropping of background checks. True, the wrong people in IT, cheap exploited overseas labor.

Exploitation reaps its consequences.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
The attack came from overseas, so likely no, this had nothing to do with the dropping of background checks. True, the wrong people in IT, cheap exploited overseas labor.

Exploitation reaps its consequences.
I don't know where you are getting your information but Target has not said anything about how or where it happened.

Security IT folks speculate it was an inside local job since it was the the software running the POS terminals (the swipe machines at the register).

Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is a typical liberal bs feel-good bill. Why shouldn't an employer know all about a prospective employee, including a credit check? Why shouldn't an employer have the ability to determine if a potential employee is responsible and ethical? Why shouldn't an employer have credit report can provide a snapshot of a person's economic life that may confirm or contradict their resume? You libs against that?
It's a violation of privacy and totally unnecessary except for jobs within the financial or legal industry. Many people are in debt through no fault of their own and it just makes it more difficult for the people who most likely need the money the most to get the jobs they need.

I thought you conservatives were all for keeping the government out of your private lives, only you don't mind giving corporations the carte blanche to look at someone's credit history. Double standards much?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
It's a violation of privacy and totally unnecessary except for jobs within the financial or legal industry. Many people are in debt through no fault of their own and it just makes it more difficult for the people who most likely need the money the most to get the jobs they need.

I thought you conservatives were all for keeping the government out of your private lives, only you don't mind giving corporations the carte blanche to look at someone's credit history. Double standards much?
The NSA has everything on everyone.
We lost any semblance of privacy with 9/11.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The NSA has everything on everyone.
We lost any semblance of privacy with 9/11.
I'm more concerned with private entities being able to invade my privacy.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
I'm more concerned with private entities being able to invade my privacy.
They can't unless you give them permission.

This isn't something new that just popped up.
It's just that more people now have financial problems and criminal records.

So what do you do ?
Lower the bar I guess.
It's all part of the great decline and how we have to deal with it.

I got checks done back in the late 70's and 80's and then you had to go to the police station to get your fingerprints done so a check could be done. And they had lie detector tests you had to take and that also required a trip to the police department.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
They can't unless you give them permission.
LOL!!!

Quote:
the great decline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies