Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Elizabeth Warren has put a bill forward that would deny the ability for employers to do credit checks for job applicants.

What say you?
Love how the government makes laws to apply to others, but not themselves! Bet if it is a law, government will be exempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
I'm more concerned with private entities being able to invade my privacy.
The only purpose a credit score serves is to give private entities the opportunity to look at your credit history. One has to agree to give a private entity access. There's no invasion.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:04 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The only purpose a credit score serves is to give private entities the opportunity to look at your credit history. One has to agree to give a private entity access. There's no invasion.
But why is that right when it bears no relevance to most jobs? Do you know how many people are in debt because of illness or student loans? It should have no bearing on someone's ability to do a job and to be honest it does more harm than good because people with debts will not be able to repay such debts w/out a job.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
But why is that right when it bears no relevance to most jobs? Do you know how many people are in debt because of illness or student loans? It should have no bearing on someone's ability to do a job and to be honest it does more harm than good because people with debts will not be able to repay such debts w/out a job.
No I don't know. How many ?

I have a niece that just stopped paying her student loan.
Not because she has no money but because she wants more spending money for herself.
And she doesn't care because she figures the government won't come after her and she'll just wait a few years til she's making more money and will start paying it again. She's 25 and wants "to live".
No one forced her to take out all those loans to go to a private college.

My SIL told me because she was really upset over this and even considered making the payments herself so the niece wouldn't ruin her credit. I told my SIL to worry about herself now because XXX was an adult and will have to pay the price.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
It's a violation of privacy and totally unnecessary except for jobs within the financial or legal industry. Many people are in debt through no fault of their own and it just makes it more difficult for the people who most likely need the money the most to get the jobs they need.

I thought you conservatives were all for keeping the government out of your private lives, only you don't mind giving corporations the carte blanche to look at someone's credit history. Double standards much?
Please elaborate on why people who risk their own money in the market place should be prohibited from protecting it how they feel is best.
Seems like you have your own double standard going on, one where you think if someone has a business they lose their own right to privacy.
Its no wonder fewer and fewer people opt to go into biz for themselves.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No I don't know. How many ?

I have a niece that just stopped paying her student loan.
Not because she has no money but because she wants more spending money for herself.
And she doesn't care because she figures the government won't come after her and she'll just wait a few years til she's making more money and will start paying it again. She's 25 and wants "to live".
No one forced her to take out all those loans to go to a private college.

My SIL told me because she was really upset over this and even considered making the payments herself so the niece wouldn't ruin her credit. I told my SIL to worry about herself now because XXX was an adult and will have to pay the price.
College is extremely expensive. I'm guessing your generation didn't have to deal with such high tuition. And I'm not talking about people like your niece anyway. I can only hear your side of the story and not hers as she's not here to defend herself. I'm talking about:

Medical Bills Are the Biggest Cause of US Bankruptcies: Study

One-third of young adults face medical bill troubles, debt - CBS News

'Too damn high': graduates struggle with student loan debt | Katie Rogers | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Is it fair to penalize people like this? NO!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Target stopped asking about criminal history on their applications.
This came after a few states already banned companies from asking.

So besides this 'credit check' issue companies are also dropping criminal past investigation.
Are that many people in financial trouble and have criminal records that we're going to "overlook" this ?

Back when, employers were allowed to ask if the job applicant had ever been charged with a crime. That morphed into asking if the applicant had been convicted of a crime.

My former employer ( financial services) fingerprinted everyone and ran them by the FBI. More were terminated for lying than for having been convicted- dependent upon the sensitivity of the position, nature of the crime and time lapse.

The fact that over 40 million Target shoppers got their CC/Debit cards hacked by the software on the Target swipe machine indicates that Target may have trusted the wrong people to work in their IT dept.

My speculation is that the credit card processor Target uses was the point of entry. It seems the only common element. We have a Target cc ( 5% discount) and thus far have been spared. I am reading conflicting stories about debit cards. Some reports claim they were not included and some reports claim they were. Something like this is an opportunity for some people to use their CC and claim to have been a part of the hack. What a mess. When will we move to fingerprints instead of card swipes?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
College is extremely expensive. I'm guessing your generation didn't have to deal with such high tuition. And I'm not talking about people like your niece anyway. I can only hear your side of the story and not hers as she's not here to defend herself. I'm talking about:

Medical Bills Are the Biggest Cause of US Bankruptcies: Study

One-third of young adults face medical bill troubles, debt - CBS News

'Too damn high': graduates struggle with student loan debt | Katie Rogers | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Is it fair to penalize people like this? NO!
She took out loans and went to a private out of state college.
She got one of those basket weaving degrees.."Women's Studies".

She's working as a receptionist in a day care center.
She did this to herself and didn't listen to any adult that tried to talk her out of it.

Me..I went into the USCG and did my time and when I got out used the GI Bill to go to college while working.
I went to the CC for 2 years and then the local University for the last 2 years.
I worked 3 p/t jobs while going to school full time and did that for 5 years.

You keep saying college was cheap back then. Well salaries were also much lower back then.
My parents didn't pay for any college expenses for any of their 5 kids yet each of the 5 kids got a college degree without student loans..one way or another.

Less than 50% graduate college.
That means the other 50% are paying off loans without a degree.
Why are we so quick to hand out money to 18 year olds ?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Please elaborate on why people who risk their own money in the market place should be prohibited from protecting it how they feel is best.
Seems like you have your own double standard going on, one where you think if someone has a business they lose their own right to privacy.
Its no wonder fewer and fewer people opt to go into biz for themselves.
Running a business and being an employee are not the same thing. It's a totally unfair method of screening given that so many people are in debt through no fault of their own.

What will employers ask for next? Blood type? Full medical history? What partners you've been with?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
She took out loans and went to a private out of state college.
She got one of those basket weaving degrees.."Women's Studies".

She's working as a receptionist in a day care center.
She did this to herself and didn't listen to any adult that tried to talk her out of it.
Sounds like you just don't agree with the subject she majored in. She is still better off than someone like me who doesn't have the smarts to go to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies