Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well I'm guessing they are not fond of Jews...

It's just bigotry plain and simple. Not all Christians have this outlook however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
NO CHRISTIAN HAS THAT OUTLOOK.
Just because a person calls themselves a Christian does not make them one. Anyone who could sing that song and mean it can not be a Christian.

Both of you are absolutely correct! The song is in poor taste for sure.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:09 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You're a Romanian Jew? Sure. Like I really believe that.

Translation's wrong.

So is the context.

I don't expect you to know this, but Romania is organized as counties, instead of States or Provinces. Each county has what is more or less an "office of cultural preservation."

Had you bothered to watch the entire program, then you'd know they were singing carols from the distant past.

My first clue was the word for "Jew" which is evreu and not jidov.

Jidov is Slavic, specifically Slovakian.

Anyway, those wondering why there is an issue over "cultural preservation" then look at maps. In fact, you can look at the video. It says "Cluj" -- that's a city in Judetul Bihor (Bihor County). It's actually Cluj-Napoca.

That's a Dacian name. It was Cluj-Napoca for millennium until the Magyars --- what you call "Hungarians" --- changed the name to Cluj. So there's a big fight over renaming the city, and it creates a lot of tension between Romanians and Magyars.....it's a nationalism thing....you wouldn't understand.

If you're wondering why Slovaks are in the region, it's because on two separate occasions, an Austro-Hungarian king, and a Hungarian king invited Slovaks to settle in the region, if they would help defend against the Ottoman Turks.

That area of Romania -- what you know as Transylvania -- and also to the south where I live -- the Banat -- has a lot of different nationalities, everything from Jews to Germans to Serbs to Vlachs to Vjovidians to Magyars to Romanians to Slovaks to Ruthenians to Ukrainians.

The Beautiful Son
That is not what is sung.

A nascut un fiu frumos...

There's no definitive article there, so it's simply "Was born a beautiful son."
The definitive article "the" would appear as...

A nascut unul fiu frumos...
A nascut un fiul frumos...

Only the Jews grumble

Uh, no, it's Only the Jews echo...

The connotation of the word used means to mimic, in a sort of murmuring way, like mouthing the words without actually saying them. For example, me, when the Pledge of Allegiance is done, I merely echo, mimicking like I'm saying the Pledge without actually saying the Pledge. I'm sure you've all seen people do that in church reciting prayers, or perhaps even people mimicking other things.

The cursed Jew

That is not what is says.

You see me use this word a lot: anathema.

That's what a afursi means. In Romanian, you can take the past participle and use it as a noun.

Jidovan afurstit

Judaism [is] anathema....

That's the best rendering.

But only in chimney as a smoke

Numai la corlan la fum...

Another clue. "Corlan" is another word that is archaic and hasn't been used for centuries. My best guess is that it's a reference to the trumpets in Revelations used in judgment.

Anyway, if you all want to get your bowels in an uproar, go ahead.

If you want, I can pull out my guitar and start singing "I'm a good ole Rebel."

I don't see the point of denying one's past, especially since it conflicts with the sentiments of Satayana...

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it....

Mircea
Why would you not believe that anyone here could be a Romanian Jew? I know several personally. One of my dearest friends, Livia, is a Romanian Jew. Gorgeous woman. Dad drives a cab. She's a psychiatric nurse.
I must be lying, eh?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
You need a translator to figure out Directorul Centrului de
Cultur?

How pathetic is that?
Director....anyone
recognize that word? Same exact word and meaning in English. It's masculine and
if we add "ul" --- the definitive article -- Directorul is The
Director....

Cultur is "culture" and Centru is "center."
Add the "l" for the definitive article, then ui for the Genitive (possessive)
Case, and you have

The Director of the Culture Center.
Oh, for heaven's sake! The title is self-explanatory. Try reading the content. It's not in English and one would need a translation program.

See? Short and to the point, without using walls and walls of text.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Are you sure this isn't an outtake from Borat?!?!?!?!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:54 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I was simply informing the uninformed of the context historically and currently, as well as providing more accurate translations, and giving it an cultural perspective.

You need a translator to figure out Directorul Centrului de Cultur?

How pathetic is that?
Director....anyone recognize that word? Same exact word and meaning in English. It's masculine and if we add "ul" --- the definitive article -- Directorul is The Director....

Cultur is "culture" and Centru is "center." Add the "l" for the definitive article, then ui for the Genitive (possessive) Case, and you have

The Director of the Culture Center.

And of course he resigned....a few years back someone used the word "*****rdly" and was forced to resign due to public protest by ignorant people.

Like I said, the program was a presentation of historical carols over the centuries, from that region of Romania, which I might add, was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire --formerly the seat of the Holy Roman Empire....a very Catholic entity--- until the Treaty of Trianon in 1920.

If you want to get bent out of shape, fine, but at least have the guts to tell the truth about it.

If you're offended by history, then gouge out your eyes (and ears)...

Mircea
You're making excuses for a group of people that weren't even alive when these atrocities were done. Most of these people were born two to three generations later. This is passed down hate. We on CD don't need a history lesson (this is not the history forum). The people in this video need to enter the 21st century.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Meh...one superstitious group singing about another one. And so on and so on. If you don't expect stupidity from religion 90% of the time, i don't know what planet you're on.

I don't know why people get their undies in a bunch over this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies