Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:26 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,087 times

Advertisements

according to whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
It beats getting a $20,000 cancer bill and having to figure out to pay it.

Good for Senator Sanders. This country needs to get with the program and get their priorities straight. Canada and the UK have single payer healthcare system and last I checked they aren't falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:27 PM

interesting how people say that. but what happens if we are attacked again and have to go to war?
raise taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We don't have to do that. I'm just playing advocate here. We can quit sending our troops all over the world and quit giving Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Israel, etc billions of dollars and instead use that money here.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Dont forget our public schools are going down hill too.
kids don't learn how to write anymore or do math. all done on the computer.
Oh and don't forget...analog clock? kids can't read those anymore.
but I digress.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Wow, Single Payer. What an idea. Let's see, SS is messed up, Medicare is a mess, ObamaCare is a mess, the postal service is a mess, defense spending is a mess, we spend way more than we take in and basically anything the government touches gets screwed up.

And you want to entrust your healthcare to these morons? Yeah, single payer is about as stupid an idea as it gets.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Dont forget our public schools are going down hill too.
kids don't learn how to write anymore or do math. all done on the computer.
Oh and don't forget...analog clock? kids can't read those anymore.
but I digress.....
They can't tell time with analog clocks and cannot read or write cursive.
Us older folks now have the tools to communicate in "hieroglypics" now :d

Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 PM

471 posts, read 600,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well is 8% of each paycheck more than what you pay in a paycheck premium ?

If I were still at my corporate job then yes..8% per paycheck would end up costing me more than the insurance premium I was paying.

That's 8% of your gross paycheck.
Good, we are better as a society if we stop playing the "I've got mine, forget you" routine.

I'm ok with 8% of my paycheck because there might be a day that I don't even have the luxury of a paycheck at all.

You see, the far right always assumes that in all their cleverness, they would never be in a situation where they might lose it all, have a catastrophic illness, or other unforeseen calamity. They simply see the misfortune of others are some sort of moral failing.

The truth is, good healthcare is a right, it is fundamental to human dignity and critical to a safe sustainable society.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Good, we are better as a society if we stop playing the "I've got mine, forget you" routine.

I'm ok with 8% of my paycheck because there might be a day that I don't even have the luxury of a paycheck at all.

You see, the far right always assumes that in all their cleverness, they would never be in a situation where they might lose it all, have a catastrophic illness, or other unforeseen calamity. They simply see the misfortune of others are some sort of moral failing.

The truth is, good healthcare is a right, it is fundamental to human dignity and critical to a safe sustainable society.
That's 8% on top of the 6% already being taken out.
14% taken out if not more.
And I'm just going by what Vermont has projected but hasn't finalized.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
interesting how people say that. but what happens if we are attacked again and have to go to war?
raise taxes?
Yes, why not?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post

Congress could have easily expanded medicaid to take in people and charge them premiums while they are in-between jobs or in temp financial difficulty.

There's always the obvious answer that our government never seems to see.
Why is that ?

Why do they throw COBRA at you rather than let you sign up for medicaid with a premium ?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Congress could have easily expanded medicaid to take in people and charge them premiums while they are in-between jobs or in temp financial difficulty.

There's always the obvious answer that our government never seems to see.
Why is that ?

Why do they throw COBRA at you rather than let you sign up for medicaid with a premium ?
Yeah, maybe they should have done that. They should have done a lot of things. But now you don't need a job to get insurance. And if you're poor, and lucky enough to live in a state where the governor isn't a complete jerk, you have Medicaid.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:56 PM

1,074 posts, read 757,997 times
No, you are right. Obama told the SEIU that he favored a single payer system, "But, we can't get there overnight." (Close enough to his exact words — I'm sure the video is still out there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies