Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:05 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
So you also thought the boycott on JC Penney for hiring Ellen Degenerese was wrong?
Let's compare. DeGeneres was never fired; so JC Penny ignored the million moms, just as they should have. BTW, JC Penny lost nearly 50% of their value over the last year.

A&E folded to GLAAD in less than a day. They sacrificed their highest rated ( have no clue why) show in less than 24 hours.

I believe that it is wrong to kowtow to any group that decides their agenda supercedes the Bill of Rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I do agree it's kind of lame for A&E to make tons of money off of them for acting like stupid rednecks and then suspend him for behavior consistent with being a stupid redneck.
Exactly! It's rather hypocritical of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
I do agree it's kind of lame for A&E to make tons of money off of them for acting like stupid rednecks and then suspend him for behavior consistent with being a stupid redneck.
One of my gay friends posted the following on his Facebook page: "If a redneck living in a swamp and eating critters says something ignorant, you should not be shocked and/or irritated."

That being said, he still didn't have his "free speech" violated. Is he in jail or dead because of those comments? Nope.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ya know... for a group that is being "silenced," they sure are loud!! Seriously? I hear more bellyaching, lecturing, judging, and foot-in-mouth comments from Christians than ANYONE these days. So if that is what passes for silence, I guess I'll have to rethink my whole policy as a librarian. No more shushing, they're just being silent as a Christian!
I'd bet you'd be fine with Christians being banned from sharing their beliefs outside their homes. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
One of my gay friends posted the following on his Facebook page: "If a redneck living in a swamp and eating critters says something ignorant, you should not be shocked and/or irritated."

That being said, he still didn't have his "free speech" violated. Is he in jail or dead because of those comments? Nope.
Your gay friend has loads of common sense. Maybe GLADD should have taken that position. Why ask the man a loaded question, if his answer was sure to cause a stir?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Another deflective response. If you can't counter with substance, you attack the poster. Good job!
Buuuuut, when the comment is accurate it's not really an attack. Isn't that what conservatives always say when accused of personal attacks?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
I'd bet you'd be fine with Christians being banned from sharing their beliefs outside their homes. Right?
Um, not a chance. What would give you that idea?? I'm Jewish, so the LAST thing I want is for people to be religiously persecuted or oppressed... but as a Jew, I also know the difference between persecution and "talk back" for saying something unpopular. Ask my Holocaust-survivor Great Aunt about persecution, and if she thinks being fired (by a private company) over saying something dumb qualifies.

Quote:
Your gay friend has loads of common sense. Maybe GLADD should have taken that position. Why ask the man a loaded question, if his answer was sure to cause a stir?
I don't know, but he wasn't very smart to take the bait - now was he?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:

I don't think even A&E could predict that level of stupidity.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:

I believe that it is wrong to kowtow to any group that decides
their agenda supercedes the Bill of Rights.
Please for the love of God, read the first amendment, and repeat the first phrase so it will penetrate your grey matter. Then show me, exactly, where Phil's rights were violated.

Here, I made it easy for you:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Unless A&E magically became a part of the US government and we all missed the memo, they did not violate Phil's Constitutional rights.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
You might want to ask the Martin guy from MSNBC how he feels about it. Funny how people twist reality to meet and feed their political agenda. I just hold on to my popcorn and feel sorry for any sheeple who feel a single party has all the answers for our nation.
Agreed.

[no butter please]

Old 12-20-2013, 01:45 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Please for the love of God, read the first amendment, and repeat the first phrase so it will penetrate your grey matter. Then show me, exactly, where Phil's rights were violated.
Umm where did he say he was talking specifically about Phil?
Not to put words in his mouth but to me it read like more general terms.

Same thing with the OP for that matter.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There are simultaneous assaults on all of our Constitutional rights, but the greatest immediate threat I see is the LGBT anti-Christian advance. This is a bigger threat to core American values than anything else right now. I say set aside for the moment concerns about illegal immigration, gun control, abortion, Obamacare and all else and concentrate of ridding Washington and the courts of those that promote the corrupting of America's morals. Save our country. This really is a war for the soul of America. It is way past time to push back.
This is ridiculous. The LGBT community might represent 5% of the population of the US. Their fight to live their lives as they want is not really anti-Christian. It only appears that way because some Christians stand in the way.

Our morals do not depend on Christian religions.

Nothing the LGBT community has done has harmed me, my wife, or my three children. I don't agree with everything they want, but I see little problem with most of what they do. The impact of the LGBT community is swamped by unemployment and the expansion of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies