Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:19 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

There were "hundreds" of students in my graduating class. And that was just the Senior Class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The school is just up the road from us, and the students there are very much dedicated to the community, and to their "school community." Unlike public schools where attendance (and walkouts) can affect state funding, this school gets $19,000 per student tuition. So far from those I have heard or talked to, the parents who pay that tuition are very much in support of the student protests.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No the acceptance of gays by Catholic youth.
As they get older they will take charge.
As they take charge they will change the rules.
But it will take time before gays can have church weddings along with the priest's blessing.

The Catholic church has silently accepted abortion and birth control.
They verbally say it's wrong and that's where it ends.

They have not said that you are excommunicated from the church if you have had an abortion or take birth control pills have they ?

Getting divorced once meant you were excommunicated from the church.
Now the Church says civil divorces don't count and they will issue you an annulment so you can remarry in the Church.
Of course not, because then there would be no one left. That wouldn't exactly be the smartest move by the church, would it?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
The Catholic church is becoming a joke, as well as those who say they believe in it. You want to pick and choose all of what you think you want to follow, you might as well just leave religion. No one is saying you have to live your life perfectly and that you wont sin, we all do. But to openly push or be okay with this sin or that sin and advocate for its acceptance, that is just foolish. Leave your religion if you are okay with all these things.

Religion isnt a country, it isnt your school. You dont just band together and push for changes. You either believe and try to follow it or you dont. The Word of God isnt for you to decide what you wish to follow. Believe or quit living a lie. Most Catholics dont even try to follow their teachings, yet claim to be Catholic/Christian. Those people are very foolish. They think they can live their lives however they wish, and as long as they dont commit horrible evil acts, that they are going to heaven. Going to heaven and following God's word isnt about just being a nice person, helping old ladies across the street. It isnt about living each week however the heck you wish, and then going to a booth every once in a while asking for forgiveness.

These young, dumb kids advocating for change are fools. Follow the teachings or get out of the church and the religion. You clearly dont belong.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:41 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Protests continue over departure of gay Eastside Catholic vice principal - Local - MyNorthwest.com

I'm not saying yea or nay, but it is an interesting sign of the times. A Catholic school VP banned, and students rally to his defense. Going back to my school daze, no student would rally to any VP's defense, for any reason.
For some reason, kids these days have a vastly inflated sense of their own wisdom - and that's saying a lot, since every generation has always thought itself vastly smarter than those before it. It's just that now they believe themselves ( and are fed more of it to exploit by liberals) entitled and worthy to control their education.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Protests continue over departure of gay Eastside Catholic vice principal - Local - MyNorthwest.com

I'm not saying yea or nay, but it is an interesting sign of the times. A Catholic school VP banned, and students rally to his defense. Going back to my school daze, no student would rally to any VP's defense, for any reason.
It is a sign of the times, and it's also the reason the Tea Party Conservatives are on a one way path to nowhere, and they're taking the GOP with them. The times, they are a changing, and regressives always get left behind.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

I would assume that many of our priests are gay. Most Catholics, given this, seem to have little problem with gays (it is a hell of a lot better than pedophiles). We certainly do not, as a family, have a problem with gays in the Catholic Church. I do believe that the Pope recently echoed these sentiments as well recently.

If the guy was an effective and popular principal, I can see why the students would be upset. As a parent of children who all went through the parochial school system, I would be similarly upset and would lobby for his reinstatement. Unlike the public schools, parents (particularly large donors) can demand changes which can be implemented, simply due to the power of the purse. We have had two faculty reinstated and a few "book nazis" muzzled over threats of funding cuts.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:49 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It is a sign of the times, and it's also the reason the Tea Party Conservatives are on a one way path to nowhere, and they're taking the GOP with them. The times, they are a changing, and regressives always get left behind.
Ah there's the moonbat lunacy I've come to know and love in my time on CD. This matter has next-to-nothing to do with the tea party.

Eventually what comes out of this debate, similar to the Sandra Fluke dustup, is that tea partiers stand on the side of freedom. Freedom for a gay couple to live as a gay couple, freedom for a church-based school to enforce policies based on church doctrine, and freedom for students to go to a different school if they disagree. When that comes out of the debate, these youngsters will realize that they need to be voting Tea Party if they wish to keep their freedoms.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The power of the "collective" seems to be working.
To change society you target the youth who are easily swayed because they have not formed any hard beliefs yet.

This is a perfect example of that.
You say that like it's a bad thing. To stand up for what they believe; for what they believe is good and right. I think it's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
People coming to the defense of other people. How did it ever come to this?
I applaud this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
High school students fighting injustice and religious-based discrimination. I love it. I think the future of our youth is bright and not just saying that because I'm a millennial.
And I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The Catholic church is becoming a joke, as well as those who say they believe in it. You want to pick and choose all of what you think you want to follow, you might as well just leave religion. No one is saying you have to live your life perfectly and that you wont sin, we all do. But to openly push or be okay with this sin or that sin and advocate for its acceptance, that is just foolish. Leave your religion if you are okay with all these things.

Religion isnt a country, it isnt your school. You dont just band together and push for changes. You either believe and try to follow it or you dont. The Word of God isnt for you to decide what you wish to follow. Believe or quit living a lie. Most Catholics dont even try to follow their teachings, yet claim to be Catholic/Christian. Those people are very foolish. They think they can live their lives however they wish, and as long as they dont commit horrible evil acts, that they are going to heaven. Going to heaven and following God's word isnt about just being a nice person, helping old ladies across the street. It isnt about living each week however the heck you wish, and then going to a booth every once in a while asking for forgiveness.

These young, dumb kids advocating for change are fools. Follow the teachings or get out of the church and the religion. You clearly dont belong.
Because change is bad? Sentiments like these will push your young right out of the Church. Is that what we want?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
In reponse to ringo.

Then start your own religion with your own beliefs and scripture. You don't just change the teachings of your religion because you feel like it. You don't try and force your views on your religion What's the point if you're just going to make it up as you go along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies