Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, but boomers were also relatively spoiled by their parents when compared to their parents' generation.
Maybe the late boomers but the early ones parents were Depression era babies and did not indulge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
Short people ruined America. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:52 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Back in the 50's & 60's we forgot how to pay our bills and thought we could give handouts freely to everyone.

Nothing has changed.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1978123 View Post
Welfare was for the disabled and the mentality ill.
Much of the welfare state began in the mid 1960s during the Civil Rights Era, under LBJ. The oldest boomers weren't able to vote until 1967 (they had to be 21 then). Their impact on Congress at this time was nil. LBJ and the Congress at the time were most certainly not boomers.

Quote:
Children weren't gender confused and homosexuality was considered wrong.
There have always been gay people. That they were forced to hide their true nature was criminal.

Quote:
Children played on the streets without fear of being abducted by low life pedophiles and school shootings were unheard of.
Schools are safer today than ever. Even with Columbine and Sandy Hook our children are more protected than ever. Violence is actually rare in schools. I do not believe pedophilia is more present today. If you have some facts to show otherwise, please do.

Quote:
Back in the day illegal immigrants weren't allowed to steal our money and we weren't forced to learn Spanish for employment.
I live in Texas and have never been forced to learn Spanish. I kinda wish I could speak Spanish. My kids took Spanish in high school and college. It is far more useful than taking Latin, French, or German.

Quote:
The Baby Boomers brought liberalism to America through their hippie culture and music and we have never been able to recover.
Were boomers liberal or conservative? The hippie era was largely gone by the early-1970s. Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix were born before the boomers were.

Quote:
The Baby Boomers allowed Union greed to destroy Detroit.
Unions grew in power in post WWII. Their power was reinforced at the same time Civil Rights became an issue. Detroit's automakers created their own mess - a joint effort by management, the unions, and general over confidence that Americans would buy American regardless of quality. Unions have been losing influence for decades. Perhaps a result of boomer age business leaders and legislators.

Quote:
They didn't close our borders and allowed the Fed Gov to abort millions of Children through Roe v. Wade.
How did boomers cause Roe v. Wade? That decision was made in 1973. The Supreme Court justices at the time were most certainly not boomers. And they would have been appointed by Kennedy, or LBJ, or Nixon. None of them were boomers.

Quote:
They ran up our debt on social programs ( Democrats) and unjustified wars (Republicans and Democrats).The Baby Boomers will be known as the most greedy generation in American history. Through debt, divorce, greed and immortality they destroyed the American dream. Also destroying the American family.
Which wars were unjustified? All of them? Vietnam? Vietnam was started and about finished before boomers could vote. GH Bush is not a boomer and he put us in Desert Storm. GW Bush is most certainly the person who took us into Afghanistan and Iraq. But lets not forget, whether you agree or not, 911 changed almost everything.

Last edited by hoffdano; 12-21-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 01:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's your show now though. Show us what you can do.
From my boomer perspective all i see of this modern generation is a bunch of whiners who like to blame every one and everything for their sorry lot in life.IMO the boomers ran the country rather well in their tenure of torch bearers of a generation but now this modern generation whatever they call themselves are doing one lousy job of it.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From my boomer perspective all i see of this modern generation is a bunch of whiners who like to blame every one and everything for their sorry lot in life.IMO the boomers ran the country rather well in their tenure of torch bearers of a generation but now this modern generation whatever they call themselves are doing one lousy job of it.
I blame that on their parents. Since about 1980's we've been overly concerned with our children's self esteem and stopped blaming them for their own failures. Now all they know to do is blame someone else if they can't figure it out. Unfortunately, whatever it is and whoever's fault it is it's theirs to figure out what to do with. If they choose to continue to just whine about their lot in life, their lot in life will surely get worse and they will have no one to blame but themselves but they'll never do that because they've been conditioned to believe that they cannot fail. That when things don't work out for them it's someone else who failed them.

I once read somewhere that we run in three generation cycles. Generation one works hard and builds something. Generation two, having grown up watching their parents work hard, appreciates what they have and work to keep it going. Generation three takes everything for granted because it's always been that way from their perspective and expects things to be handed to them because they did not see their grandparents build what was built and don't appreciate the hard work that went into it and needs to go into it to maintain it so it falls apart. If this model is correct, we can expect our children's children to build something but our kids are a lost cause.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-21-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Much of the welfare state began in the mid 1960s during the Civil Rights Era, under LBJ. The oldest boomers weren't able to vote until 1967 (they had to be 21 then). Their impact on Congress at this time was nil. LBJ and the Congress at the time were most certainly not boomers.

There have always been gay people. That they were forced to hide their true nature was criminal.

Schools are safer today than ever. Even with Columbine and Sandy Hook our children are more protected than ever. Violence is actually rare in schools. I do not believe pedophilia is more present today. If you have some facts to show otherwise, please do.

I live in Texas and have never been forced to learn Spanish. I kinda wish I could speak Spanish. My kids took Spanish in high school and college. It is far more useful than taking Latin, French, or German.

Were boomers liberal or conservative? The hippie era was largely gone by the early-1970s. Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix were born before the boomers were.

Unions grew in power in post WWII. Their power was reinforced at the same time Civil Rights became an issue. Detroit's automakers created their own mess - a joint effort by management, the unions, and general over confidence that Americans would buy American regardless of quality. Unions have been losing influence for decades. Perhaps a result of boomer age business leaders and legislators.

How did boomers cause Roe v. Wade? That decision was made in 1973. The Supreme Court justices at the time were most certainly not boomers. And they would have been appointed by Kennedy, or LBJ, or Nixon. None of them were boomers.

Which wars were unjustified? All of them? Vietnam? Vietnam was started and about finished before boomers could vote. GH Bush is not a boomer and he put us in Desert Storm. GW Bush is most certainly the person who took us into Afghanistan and Iraq. But lets not forget, whether you agree or not, 911 changed almost everything.
Hey, that's not fair using facts to fight hyperbole...

Old 12-21-2013, 06:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
These threads are silly. The OP usually latches on to some suspicion planted by a story eager to blame today's problems on someone. Instead they should look at historical events - and look at how these events unfolded.

Only two US Presidents, Bill Clinton, and GWB are boomers (both born in 1946). Their views and policies are hardly similar. Pelosi/Reid, who have done great damage to the US, are older than boomers. Boomers are not a homogeneous group of people. Just because sociologists and demographics assign them to a group, it is clear that throughout their lives the boomers have voted every which way, succeeded and failed, and have otherwise not behaved as a single minded group.
Obama's a Boomer too. Us Gen X people started about 1965.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1978123 View Post
America used to be a great country. We used to pull our own weight and we were the greatest country on earth. Welfare was for the disabled and the mentality ill. Children weren't gender confused and homosexuality was considered wrong. Children played on the streets without fear of being abducted by low life pedophiles and school shootings were unheard of. Back in the day illegal immigrants weren't allowed to steal our money and we weren't forced to learn Spanish for employment.The Baby Boomers brought liberalism to America through their hippie culture and music and we have never been able to recover. The Baby Boomers allowed Union greed to destroy Detroit. They didn't close our borders and allowed the Fed Gov to abort millions of Children through Roe v. Wade. The Baby Boomers have ultimately ruined the America their parents knew, and rebeled like immature children. They ran up our debt on social programs ( Democrats) and unjustified wars (Republicans and Democrats).The Baby Boomers will be known as the most greedy generation in American history. Through debt, divorce, greed and immortality they destroyed the American dream. Also destroying the American family.

Points for "Whine of the Week" will be deducted because you forgot "Christians are being persecuted for their beliefs" and "Gays make my marriage mean less". Difficult to read a run-on rant. Illogical conclusions. Errors of fact. Absolutely no originality. In 1967 you'd have driven a Rambler with a bumper sticker that said "America: Love It Or Leave It". Yawn.

Gotta give you a 2. Sorry.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:51 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not just the boomers my friend. Gen X and Gen Y are just as guilty.

I see 12 year olds wearing shoes that cost more than my entire wardrobe.
Ha. I got three kids that play sports. Those cleats aint cheap anymore.........lol. Unreal is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies