Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oklahoma has one of the lowest abortion rates in the nation, so it need not be raised as such a big issue every year, unless Republicans think it's necessary to get more votes at reelection time. I don't hear Republicans complain about Oklahoma's high unwed teen pregnancy rate. But I reckon that simply is what you have to accept with the low abortion rate.
Personally, it is an apolitical issue for me. Although it has been politicized (sad), it is of vastly greater importance than the jokers (either party quite honestly) getting voted into public office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Austin was a great place to go through high school and be in your early 20's back in the 80's through the early 90's. Of course, in classic human fashion, I didn't realize how cool it was while I was there at the time.

I didn't like it by '95, but post internet/tech boom it really started to suck. Haven't been back since 2003 and have no interest in ever going back. I did my time....
I lived there 93-97 as a student at UT and again 99-01 as a working stiff. I won't go back. It's ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2432 View Post
Its pretty sad that a few Californians can run rough shot over you Texans and turn Texas into California slowly but surely. I wouldnt be proud of that if I were a Texan. You are admitting that you cower like sheep to slaughter when Californians run through your town.
What do you expect me to do, run them off at gunpoint? Would you tell me to use a single can of Raid on a plague of locusts?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
There are extremely few people in Oklahoma who are like you describe. I think you're really referring to libertarianism.
Not at all. I am saying the neo-con social conservatives who advocate for government interference into such personal, private issues as abortion and what consenting, adult couples can marry (or not) are not in any sense actual conservatives.

Actual conservatives would never advocate for that kind of government regulation and interference.

I realize most Oklahoma voters on the right do not fit in that category.

Unfortunately, neither do any politicians in the GOP.

This is why I say, quite accurately, that the Republican Party is completely devoid of true conservatives, and have been for decades.

There ARE no conservatives in American politics any more, and precious few among the citizenry.

Instead, we have neo-con social conservatives and the Religious Right. The complete antithesis of actual conservativism.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Since California has been ahead of its time for decades, it is probably just a matter of time before the other states will catch up so to speak. Maybe the development can't look any different as with increasing sophistication and urbanization people become more liberal and progressive, it's automatic. I am not saying that is a good or bad thing, but it is the same all over the world. Be it in China, India, etc., everywhere city folks are much more progressive than rural ones, challenging and replacing old customs and views.

In terms of political power, California vs the rest of the country is also a global problem seen in many countries where some people feel like they are dominated by other people outnumbering them. I guess there is an innate human tendency to reject what comes from another group of people. There probably is no fair solution. On the one hand every human should have the same weight politically speaking, but if that were the case, the majority would always dictate everything. A problem we have in Europe as well, where Germans are trying to force their views on everyone.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Austin is going through that now.
Poor and middle class being driven out of the city by high home prices, high taxes and expensive regulations.
And while they talk of wanting affordable housing they are quite content to see the gentrification of the bad neighborhoods spread and increase home values even more.

I have a home in Barton Hills that I pay $7900 in taxes on.
I have a home in OakHill that I pay $3000 in taxes on and the OakHill home is bigger.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
California is the number 1 state for a reason...

Haters want to live here but can't... hahaha...

Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
California is the number 1 state for a reason...

Haters want to live here but can't... hahaha...
I'd rather move to Canada then California. California is #1 alright. The #1 cesspool of humanity. Most of us don't worry about ya'll too much cause Mexico is taking it back one illegal alien at a time......

Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
The basic premise of "Californication", at least as I've always understood it, is that hoity-toity liberal suburbanites from the outer CA coast, fed up with the traffic, taxes, business regulations, population density, etc., move to a generally less populated, comparatively business-friendly, often Republican-leaning state, and, by way of the voting booth, will sooner or later tear the guts out of whatever local culture exists in their new home(s) away from home (Nevada, Colorado, Oregon and Washington are the most commonly cited examples of this).

I don't know. I live in a sparsely populated state in the Interior Mountain West where, at least in certain areas in the Western region of the state, transplants from California have been a fairly noticeable presence over the last twenty years or so. I'm not at all reluctant to say that I've usually liked CA's people just fine, regardless of whether or not I meet them as incoming residents of my own state or while visiting their state myself. In the case of MT, I can't really say what the political consequences of their presence will ultimately be.

And let's be fair. I think that a lot of these people who have transplanted from CA to elsewhere in the Western U.S. have truly done so with hopes of finding--and helping to preserve--a place with an overall slower pace in terms of work, travel and social interaction, conservative (or libertarian) socio-political trends, lower crime rates, etc., etc.

Hell, why drag this on any further? If I lived in CA, I'd want to move, too.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:58 PM

62,951 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I'd rather move to Canada then California. California is #1 alright. The #1 cesspool of humanity. Most of us don't worry about ya'll too much cause Mexico is taking it back one illegal alien at a time......
If I were younger I would move Canada. This whole country is going to hell in a hand basket, IMO. California does have a lot of beauty but I agree with you the liberal mindset here and the millions of illegals here will make us Mexico del Norte soon or Mexifornia as some call it. No thanks.

Most of my fellow Californians that are moving to another state are conservatives who are fed up with all of this nonsense. So fear not.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
This is a bit hyperbolic.

There are many wonderful, beautiful areas of California. You and others act as if that entire, vast state is like Compton or something. It's nonsense.

California has some economic troubles. Very few states aren't struggling with those right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies