Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Jesus was more interested in disarming the Pharisee's weapon than making any statement on paying taxes.

Read the chapter. The Pharisees were astounded at his response.

Remember, they were trying to trap Jesus, and catch him in political rebellion against Rome, so they could curry favor with the Judean governors, who would have loved to report to the emperor that they suppreses an uprising.

Jesus avoided the bait and refused to get drawn into a political snare.

2,000 years later, liberals take his words out of context, and worship his words, but hate those who identify as Christians

Bizarre, to say the least.
Something is bizarre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Nevertheless, the bible is clear, pay taxes to whom taxes are due.

Romans 13:1

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Romans 13:2

"Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

Romans 13:5-7:

Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor

Matthew 17:26

“From others,” Peter answered.“Then the children are exempt,” Jesus said to him. “But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Further, just for kicks.

Ezekiel 16:48-50

"As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "Sodom, your sister and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. "Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it.…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Redistribution of wealth is not a free market activity.
I said practically all liberals in US support free market economy along with welfare programs, and that is a fact. Same is true about west Europeans. They favor free market economy with support for welfare programs. US and Europe both have free market economies and both have welfare programs, so it is very possible for both to exist at the same time. I do not know a single liberal in US who wants to do away with free market economy.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Complete BS, all you are doing is putting your fingers in your ears and trying to twist what the bible says.

It's been written in countless versus that those with wealth are to use it to help the poor, thy fellow man, and that the greedy who don't won't enter the kingdom of god.

Essentially every GOP supporter is looking forward to a toasty place according to the bible.
Yes, they are, but that does not mean that the money is supposed to go to government redistribution programs.

All that is required to enter the kingdom God is to confess ones sin and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior .

Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
2,000 years later, liberals take his words out of context, and worship his words, but hate those who identify as Christians

Your statement is dishonest, because it suggests you cannot be liberal and Christian at the same time, although millions of Christians are liberals. Worse, you accuse them of hating Christians. You are a good example of someone who pits Christians against Christians. Like I said earlier, politics is Satans favorite tool to bring division within the brethren,

Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Liberal Christians believe the best way to give to the poor is through the government. It is not sinful to believe so.
I really dislike when someone starts quoting a text out of the bible or from some religious text attempting to say that god is on their side of politics and both sides are guilty of it. Which is why I rarely will because it is dangerous to presume that you are speaking on behalf of the almighty specially on something so divisive as politics.

But I will say if liberal Christians believe the best way to give to the poor is through government I'd say maybe one should step back and think about that situation because how is one to know that those in charge of government have god's work in mind? If anything more often than not those in charge of government are wasteful if not corrupt.

As a example over 680 million spent on a website recently. Of which went to a business who has ties to the 1st lady. What could have been done with 680 million dollars had it been shared with the American people directly or better through a personal health fund only for health use payments? That would have almost completely eliminated anybodies future health problem of how will they pay because 2 million per American is more than most would ever need to pay on health services or medicine.

Of course that wouldn't be done because in the end greed rules the day. We can't solve American's problem of how will they ever pay for health treatment or create a nation where the people would never have to worry about such a thing because it would cost certain people and business lost profit.

So I'd say trusting the government to do the right thing or god's work or the humanitarian thing is a set up for being let down.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
I said practically all liberals in US support free market economy along with welfare programs, and that is a fact. Same is true about west Europeans. They favor free market economy with support for welfare programs. US and Europe both have free market economies and both have welfare programs, so it is very possible for both to exist at the same time. I do not know a single liberal in US who wants to do away with free market economy.
Yet, they support non free market activities such as redistribution of wealth .

That is an incongruency.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM

524 posts, read 400,025 times
Quote:
This is in regards to your comment on the U.S. having a free market economy. This simply isn't true. It was supposed to be fashioned that way, but it's turned to more corporatism than anything else.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Yet, they support non free market activities such as redistribution of wealth .

That is an incongruency.
Like I told you in the very post you replied to, it is possible to agree with a program like medicaid AND support free market economy at the same time. Every liberal I know support both, and I don't' know any who would want to do away with free market economy. Most people understand free market economy makes welfare programs possible.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
This is in regards to your comment on the U.S. having a free market economy. This simply isn't true. It was supposed to be fashioned that way, but it's turned to more corporatism than anything else.
US has free market economy. You can debate about the definition of the terms, but it won't change the fact that we have it.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,207,834 times
Quote:
Jesus was more interested in disarming the Pharisee's weapon than making any statement on paying taxes.

Read the chapter. The Pharisees were astounded at his response.

Remember, they were trying to trap Jesus, and catch him in political rebellion against Rome, so they could curry favor with the Judean governors, who would have loved to report to the emperor that they suppreses an uprising.

Jesus was a Middle Eastern guy who hung out with whores, rejects, homeless poor people and preached about turning the other cheek and loving your enemy.

If he were alive today you'd despise him more than you despise liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies