Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

The world is willing and ready to pay for VALUE. The truth is, you must have something of value to offer to people before their money can flow to you. The more valuable and essential your products and services are, the wealthier you can to become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 03:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
For example, China is a very populous nation of over one billion people. If you can provide a product or service that compels just one percent of that population to pay you just one cent each, then you are already a millionaire!

Then Uncle Sam will come calling and want a chunk of those profits.

So now you will have to sell to more than a million customers, then the government will want a chunk of that too. Making money is one side of the coin, getting to keep it is the other side.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Please give a source for your estimations. Especially your 'one quarter of jobs in this country make close to minimum wage' nonsense?
It depends on how you want to look at his claim. According to this, Fully 30% of income-makers make under $15,000 per year. A full time, 40-hour 52-week minimum wage job pulls in $15,080. So, even if not everyone is working "for" minimum wage, nearly 1/3 of wage-earners in this country make less than the equivalent. I find it hard to believe that 1/3 of wage-earners are lazy, no-good, moochers.

Quote:
Can you also talk about low wage earners who refuse to look for more work, refuse to get a car, refuse to look for a second job, refuse to get more education and somehow still blame someone other than themselves?
Except that is not possible for everyone to do. And I don't mean that it's not possible for any given individual. I mean it's not possible for everyone as a whole. There's no way for everyone to have two jobs when we don't even have enough for everyone to have one job. And if the jobs they do have pay crap, well…you end up with what we have now. But of course, it's all because of lazy people.

And it's kind of funny that one guy above disparages the poor having a vehicle, and you call them out for not having one. I wonder which one of you is right.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:25 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
And being poor and having two vehicles is kind of funny.

Do you know why those poor families have two vehicles?

Because they are both clunkers, and the couple both work, often very far from each other.

Why cant they just own one, and just have one of them drive the other to work? Because then when their clunker of a vehicle dies they both lose their job and are SOL.

But hey-those bad poor people for owning two vehicles!
And those BAD poor people that can't suffer enough to get a vehicle, along with all the associated costs!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Please give a source for your estimations. Especially your 'one quarter of jobs in this country make close to minimum wage' nonsense?

Can you also talk about low wage earners who refuse to look for more work, refuse to get a car, refuse to look for a second job, refuse to get more education and somehow still blame someone other than themselves?

The ranks of the working poor are growing, dueto manufacturing job losses, welfare-to-work policies, wage stagnation,and cost-of-living increases.

In 2006, one-fourth of all jobs in

the United States paid $10 per hour or less,

Heather Boushey, Shawn Fremstad, Rachel
Gragg, and Margy Waller, “Understanding Low-
Wage Work in the United States” (2007).
[SIZE=2]
http://www.solutionsforprogress.com/...y_Study_NC.pdf[//SIZE=2]

I've seen this on other sites but can't find anything from, say, BLS, that sounds official.

Do people who can't afford a car 'refuse' to get a car? Do people who can't afford more education "refuse" to get more education? Do older unskilled workers with medical issues and difficult scheduling constraints "refuse" to get more work?

Some numbers I've seen from Washington State (the state, not the university) suggest that just about one-fourth of the JOBS in WA do pay $10/hr or less, but when FTE (full time equivalent) jobs are considered, that 25th percentile job (the top of the bottom quartile of jobs) pays closer to $15 per hour..

http://s3.amazonaws.com/zanran_stora...s/18402027.pdf

Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The world is willing and ready to pay for VALUE. The truth is, you must have something of value to offer to people before their money can flow to you. The more valuable and essential your products and services are, the wealthier you can to become.

Yes and no. Sometimes the 'first mover' advantage can be seemingly insurmountable and for an extended time.

Many eBay sellers yearn for a competitor to offer a viable selling alternative, but as first mover, eBay is an 800-pound gorilla that so far has rendered every competitive effort ineffectual. At least 80% of the items I sell are not valued sufficiently high to make Amazon's higher minimum fees worthwhile.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The 7 Self-Destructive Habits Of Poor People You Must Avoid, To Become Rich!

Habit 1: Inability to Save and Invest.
Habit 2: The Poor keep poor company.
Habit 3: The Poor focus on financial survival.
Habit 4: The Poor expect a financial miracle!
Habit 5: The Poor fail to recognize potential Money.
Habit 6: The Poor lack solid money-making ideas.

Habit 7: The Poor give reasons.
The poor give all sorts of reasons and excuses for their failure. The poor are good at not accepting responsibility for their financial status or station in life. They will rather blame other people and circumstances for their plight, failure and lack of achievement. Hear them. If I had a university degree! If I did not have a wife and children! If the economy was not into recession! If I were younger! If I had rich parents, etc.

However, no matter what alibis they come up with, they still remain poor because alibis cannot translate into money.

Yes, it is difficult to save and invest when more than half your income is consumed by housing expenses. Half of all low-income renters spend at least half their income on housing, according to Mortgage News Daily.

Some writer once said that the rich play the Money Game to win, and the poor play the Money Game to not lose. Well duh, when you are poor you cannot afford to lose what little you have and naturally tend to be risk-averse. (Except, perversely, when it comes to playing lottery games with astronomical odds.)

Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? No, I'm saying government literally prohibits the same of said property; I do not know of any non-rural places where government allows the sale of a 400-sf house on a 2,5009-sf piece of land. In my area, minimum lot sizes of 6,000 sf to 10,000 sf prevail.
Ah, building codes. Better than one area at The Canyons ski area. Minimum house size is 6000 sf!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It depends on how you want to look at his claim. According to this, Fully 30% of income-makers make under $15,000 per year. A full time, 40-hour 52-week minimum wage job pulls in $15,080. So, even if not everyone is working "for" minimum wage, nearly 1/3 of wage-earners in this country make less than the equivalent. I find it hard to believe that 1/3 of wage-earners are lazy, no-good, moochers.
I was using current BLS numbers, not wikipedia. Let's use valid sources.

Quote:
Except that is not possible for everyone to do. And I don't mean that it's not possible for any given individual. I mean it's not possible for everyone as a whole. There's no way for everyone to have two jobs when we don't even have enough for everyone to have one job. And if the jobs they do have pay crap, well…you end up with what we have now. But of course, it's all because of lazy people.

And it's kind of funny that one guy above disparages the poor having a vehicle, and you call them out for not having one. I wonder which one of you is right.
The poster to which I was responding works 23 hours/week, does not even LOOK for new jobs, spends no time at the library studying new skills, and makes no effort to even get a drivers license. Is everyone on a low income lazy? Absolutely not, but I was responding to one person in particular, not everyone.

I am not disparaging anyone for having or not having a vehicle. I am disparaging people who refuse to try to improve their situation. Not having a vehicle is fine. Not even bothering to look into whether or not having a vehicle could get you a better job is not fine. Do you see the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The ranks of the working poor are growing, dueto manufacturing job losses, welfare-to-work policies, wage stagnation,and cost-of-living increases.

In 2006, one-fourth of all jobs in

the United States paid $10 per hour or less,

Heather Boushey, Shawn Fremstad, Rachel
Gragg, and Margy Waller, “Understanding Low-
Wage Work in the United States” (2007).
[SIZE=2]
http://www.solutionsforprogress.com/...y_Study_NC.pdf[//SIZE=2]

I've seen this on other sites but can't find anything from, say, BLS, that sounds official.

Do people who can't afford a car 'refuse' to get a car? Do people who can't afford more education "refuse" to get more education? Do older unskilled workers with medical issues and difficult scheduling constraints "refuse" to get more work?

Some numbers I've seen from Washington State (the state, not the university) suggest that just about one-fourth of the JOBS in WA do pay $10/hr or less, but when FTE (full time equivalent) jobs are considered, that 25th percentile job (the top of the bottom quartile of jobs) pays closer to $15 per hour..

http://s3.amazonaws.com/zanran_stora...s/18402027.pdf
And can you use numbers that aren't so old? Also, I was using numbers from BLS surveys, you are using sources like 'solutions for progress', which is a liberal thinktank. Let's use valid sources, ok?

We aren't talking about people who cannot afford to get a car. We are talking about you. You refuse to as much as get a drivers license or work more than 23 hours/week. You could absolutely afford to get a car.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Loss of unions probably doesn't help. There was a time when unions were necessary but there are so many laws that protect workers now that unions have been run out and the ones that still exist rape employers and employees alike. Still, there went their bargaining power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies