Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:08 PM

23,537 posts, read 17,211,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Many ppl love to focus on how certain minority groups commit disproportionate levels of crime but don't they realize that when those groups are middle class or affluent, their criminal offending rates goes down CATASTROPHICALLY. It's crazy how ppl love to parade around these statistics in a desperate effort to paint blacks as a criminal race when the main indicator is clearly just income.

And how come there are no/very few stats on the class of criminal offenders? Why does the government REFUSE to publish these stats?

Well upon my own research, here's what I discovered:

Woodmore, MD:
- 82% black
- Median Household Income: $161k
- Violent crime is 61% lower than the state avg:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
//www.city-data.com/city/Woodmore-Maryland.html

Brandywine, MD:
- 70% Black
- Median household income: $104k
- Violent crime is 74% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/Brandywine-Maryland.html

Ladera Heights, CA:
- 79% Black
- Median household income: $91k
- Violent crime is 74% lower than state avg
Ladera Heights, CA Crime Rates & Statistics
//www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html

Forest Park, OK
- 76% Black
- Median household income: $66k
- Violent crime is 78% lower than state avg
//www.city-data.com/city/Forest-Park-Oklahoma.html

Hillcrest, NY:
- 59% Black
- Median household income: $95k
//www.city-data.com/city/Hillcrest-New-York.html

Olympia Fields, IL:
- 69% Black
- Median household income: $75k
- Violent crime is 85% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/Olympi...-Illinois.html

Springdale, MD
- 90% Black
- Median household income: $106k
- Violent Crime is 76% lower than state avg:
Springdale, MD Crime Rates & Statistics
//www.city-data.com/city/Springdale-Maryland.html

View Park-Windsor Hills, CA:
- 83% Black
- Median household income:$73k
- Violent crime is 51% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/View-P...alifornia.html

Rosaryville, MD:
- 81% Black
- Median household income: $110k
- Violent crime is 44% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/Rosaryville-Maryland.html

..I can go on and on but I have other things to do.

So does anybody have anything of value to add? or disagree in any way?

Or are we just gonna ignore this?
Violence is downstream of gangs and drug sellers and your good buddies who use illegal drugs.
Gangs are reaping a bounty of drug related cash and some may qualify as upper class yet they master in violence.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 03:00 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That can't be the case. I know In the UK and France black people are responsible for a very disproportionate amount of crime and they are immigrants or descended from immigrants.

Sounds like two valid refutions were given to the op's claim and People just say excuses. Poor whites are rural! Poor Hispanics are immigrants and have dreams!

I'm the most liberal person around but I won't give black people a pass on this. Black people are disproportionately represented in crime statistics wherever they live on this earth. It is something THEY need to deal with, but I don't see them doing much. My black friends just prefer not to associate with ghetto black people rather than help that culture to change.
Very interesting point.

I don't know much about the U.K. so I can't really speak on it.

Do Black immigrants in the U.K. tend to come from poor backgrounds in their original country or successful backgrounds? This is a huge indicator of how the group will generally perform in the host country.

As for the US, most Black African immigrants come from successful/stable backgrounds in their country so they cause minimal issues. They actually tend to be very successful in the U.S. and have one of the highest educational attainment rate in the country (btw: Somali's tend to be an exception since they usually come as refugees). More-
Black Immigrant Model Minorities | Far Outliers

Performance in the host country depends on social standing in the home country (when they're not white). Here are some examples of other immigrant groups in the US and how they're generally fairing:
- Cubans tend to be successful in the US since most [white] Cuban immigrants are from the Cuban upper class and in order to profit off of their skills they had to escape communism and go to the US)
- Mexicans, Salvadorians and other [mainly Mestizo] Central American immigrants tend to be poor and crime-prone in the US since they tend to come from the lower classes of their society.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-22-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 05:02 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I don't know that it does get totally ignored. It's well known that income is a much better predictor of crime than race. The stats are certainly harder to come up with though. Race is a relatively easy bit of nominal data. Income is harder; first you need to find out what someone's income is, then you need to put the various incomes into various bins with appropriate ranges, and those ranges will differ by location.

It's only the racist nuts who want to make some weird argument about how being black inherently makes one a criminal that ignore basic facts.
An IRS agent once told me he only needed to know one thing to determine whether someone was a criminal.

I asked him what it was, and he said, "What kind of car does he drive?"

Old 12-22-2013, 05:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I think the main reason for that is geographic. Poor white neighborhoods are usually rural, or old suburbs. Those environments aren't conducive to gangbanging. You need high population density.
Poor whites don't live in high population density areas? I can show you communities around where I live where there is predominately poor whites, predominately poor blacks and even mixed. I also add 30 years ago these areas were all predominately white. The violence is no where near the same rate as is amongst blacks.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
That was pitched forever until people started to realize that just some in poverty in the past were criminals and as overall we got higher standard of living crime often increased. rich are convicted of crimes you know from murder to felony theft.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:47 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Because there is no class related crime.
If you think that you should probably spend some time in your local misdemeanor court. Most of that is class related crime. Just an example is the sheer number of people who commit larceny or shoplifting at places like Walmart or Target. No one with any money would steal from the local Walmart. Then there are all the drunk crimes not to mention trespassing. Folks with money almost never get ticketed for trespassing because folks tend to want them around and they generally have a place to drink booze where they wont get in legal trouble. There are tons of class related crimes.

Last edited by Egbert; 12-22-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times
Quote:
Very interesting point.

I don't know much about the U.K. so I can't really speak on it.

Do Black immigrants in the U.K. tend to come from poor backgrounds in their original country or successful backgrounds? This is a huge indicator of how the group will generally perform in the host country.

As for the US, most Black African immigrants come from successful/stable backgrounds in their country so they cause minimal issues. They actually tend to be very successful in the U.S. and have one of the highest educational attainment rate in the country (btw: Somali's tend to be an exception since they usually come as refugees). More-
Black Immigrant Model Minorities | Far Outliers

Performance in the host country depends on social standing in the home country (when they're not white). Here are some examples of other immigrant groups in the US and how they're generally fairing:
- Cubans tend to be successful in the US since most [white] Cuban immigrants are from the Cuban upper class and in order to profit off of their skills they had to escape communism and go to the US)
- Mexicans, Salvadorians and other [mainly Mestizo] Central American immigrants tend to be poor and crime-prone in the US since they tend to come from the lower classes of their society.
Black people in the UK are from two areas, the Caribbean and Africa. I'm not sure if they are from poor families or not. The UK has a different immigration system than America and I am not sure of its rules.

But in red, this is not really that accurate either. Hispanic immigrants are mostly from poor backgrounds, yet they don't have near the incarceration rate of black people. You also have to consider that a large degree of Hispanic incarceration is due to immigration issues that are non-violent.

In American black families, something I notice is the breakdown of the family unit. But more so than that, I notice this breakdown coupled with a complete lack of desire to repair it. Something I see among my black friends and co-workers is that literally all of them have members of their family that they absolutely refuse to talk to. It seems like when disputes arise within black families the relatives are more likely to blacklist each other rather help that person through their problems or come to an agreement.

I think more than class or race the family breakdown is what will influence crime within a group of people. I have a cousin for instance that gets out of jail next year (drug problems). The family is already coordinating how we will help him get his life back in order when he gets out. I even invited him to move in with me so that he can stay away from his bad influences. If our family just blacklisted him as a lost cause then he would have no choice but to go back to his old crew and his old bad ways.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 PM

204 posts, read 309,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
When someone poor gets either a education and makes money, or via sports or luck (lottery, inheritence) they will move to a more upscale neighboorhood just like any white or hispanic in the same situation would.

People regardless of race like to hang with like minded people and also want to protect their familes and buy nice things.

It is a class thing not a race thing. A rich black person will be acceipted in a white rich neighborhood if they fit in. If they act thug life they will not fit in. Same with a white family who acts like thugs.

People in nice areas want nice neighbors.

Its as simple as that.
You wish it was that simple. Racism exist everywhere. Some people call me the "whitest" black person ever. I would love to correct the ignorance of it, but I hear it so much i don't have the time. That doesn't change the fact that some people are racist snobs that refuse to eat in the same restaurant as you, play golf with you, or even recognize you in a conversation.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times
Quote:
Many ppl love to focus on how certain minority groups commit disproportionate levels of crime but don't they realize that when those groups are middle class or affluent, their criminal offending rates goes down CATASTROPHICALLY. It's crazy how ppl love to parade around these statistics in a desperate effort to paint blacks as a criminal race when the main indicator is clearly just income.

And how come there are no/very few stats on the class of criminal offenders? Why does the government REFUSE to publish these stats?

Well upon my own research, here's what I discovered:

Woodmore, MD:
- 82% black
- Median Household Income: $161k
- Violent crime is 61% lower than the state avg:

//www.city-data.com/city/Woodmore-Maryland.html

Brandywine, MD:

- 70% Black
- Median household income: $104k
//www.city-data.com/city/Brandywine-Maryland.html

Ladera Heights, CA:
- 79% Black
- Median household income: $91k
- Violent crime is 74% lower than state avg
Ladera Heights, CA Crime Rates & Statistics
//www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html

Forest Park, OK
- 76% Black
- Median household income: $66k
- Violent crime is 78% lower than state avg
//www.city-data.com/city/Forest-Park-Oklahoma.html

Hillcrest, NY:
- 59% Black
- Median household income: $95k
//www.city-data.com/city/Hillcrest-New-York.html

Olympia Fields, IL:
- 69% Black
- Median household income: $75k
- Violent crime is 85% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/Olympi...-Illinois.html

Springdale, MD
- 90% Black
- Median household income: $106k
- Violent Crime is 76% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/Springdale-Maryland.html

View Park-Windsor Hills, CA:
- 83% Black
- Median household income:$73k
- Violent crime is 51% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/View-P...alifornia.html

Rosaryville, MD:
- 81% Black
- Median household income: $110k
- Violent crime is 44% lower than state avg:
//www.city-data.com/city/Rosaryville-Maryland.html

..I can go on and on but I have other things to do.

So does anybody have anything of value to add? or disagree in any way?

Or are we just gonna ignore this?
This is why I always say 99% of "racism" is actually "classism". People don't fear the Doctors cited moving in next door or flooding into their kids' school system. They fear poor, low class blacks moving in next door or into their kids' school. Sadly there are soooo many poor, low class blacks that it often gets confused. That and self appointed black leaders like Sharpton, along with the mainstream media love to just call everything "racism" because it requires very little thought and of course you can still support the Democrats this way because you don't have to think about what they're actually doing to the poor they pretend to protect.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,745,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
You wish it was that simple. Racism exist everywhere. Some people call me the "whitest" black person ever. I would love to correct the ignorance of it, but I hear it so much i don't have the time. That doesn't change the fact that some people are racist snobs that refuse to eat in the same restaurant as you, play golf with you, or even recognize you in a conversation.
Sure true racism exists, but it's such a small % of what is confused as racism that it's barely preceptable. What I do see with some frequency is true racism from poor blacks aimed at other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies