Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

I still can't figure out why "full time" begins at x hours, and suddenly the effective minimum wage goes up. This isn't the 18th or 19th century where businesses comply.

In addition, Republicans, I cannot agree with the lowering of the minimum wage AND getting rid of welfare unless this farce involving effectively raising the minimum wage if a worker works x hours is dealt with.

As a conservative, I believe workers should work for a living, but as a liberal, I believe a worker should be able to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:18 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Once upon a time you could get a decent job if you chose not to attend college but our politicans chose to tax,regulate and export our jobs through bad trade deals.People use to take pride in their work they had a work ethic and there were incentives for good work innovations.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I still can't figure out why "full time" begins at x hours, and suddenly the effective minimum wage goes up.

where do you see that?

my understanding is that federal minimum wage laws apply the same for full-time and part-time employees.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
I still can't figure out why "full time" begins at x hours, and suddenly the effective minimum wage goes up. This isn't the 18th or 19th century where businesses comply.

In addition, Republicans, I cannot agree with the lowering of the minimum wage AND getting rid of welfare unless this farce involving effectively raising the minimum wage if a worker works x hours is dealt with.
There is no time requirement for the federal minimum wage. Where do you get this from?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:02 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
where do you see that?

my understanding is that federal minimum wage laws apply the same for full-time and part-time employees.
Pardon for not explaining better.

Essentially the democrats support laws that when a worker works more than 30 hours, the employer needs to provide health benefits to that employee, thus the law EFFECTIVELY raises the minimum wage, at least in terms of total compensation received.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
Pardon for not explaining better.

Essentially the democrats support laws that when a worker works more than 30 hours, the employer needs to provide health benefits to that employee, thus the law EFFECTIVELY raises the minimum wage, at least in terms of total compensation received.
Well, that is not adding to wages then.

Health benefits are treated differently. The ACA only affects businesses that have more than 50 full time employees, and is tax deductable to the businesses. It does not affect contract or temp labor.

Walmart, the largest resistor of full time benefitted workers, has changed their mind about offering health benefits as well after trying to avoid the ACA. They switched 35,000 employees from 6 month temps to full time after sales tanked, retention sucked out good employees, and such a cost stores were looking at closing. They followed Costco and Home Depot in doing so. Much research has been done about the benefits, and general lowering of costs, of providing health care in the workplace. Not just benefitting the business either.

Some things do increase wages to the benefit of all. What also increases cost is providing employees a safe place to work, not using child labor, and properly disposing of hazardous materials. Life is not all about money.

Doing things right costs more money in some places, that is not in doubt. Health care for workers costs the business more, and the customer. Cusomters and non-cusomters are paying for it anyways with higher taxes for Medicaid...or costs subsidizing high cost emergency departments instead of low costs doctors offices for the uninsured. Employees can be covered for health issues before they get severe. It can cover health issues that can be minor if treated (like epilepsy, or diabetes, or high blood pressure) instead of costing too much so they get sicker, lose their jobs, and go on disability.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 12-23-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 04:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
they don't tis just the unintended consequences likely not fore seen but some say it was clear just not on the dependency agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies