Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That's right, whenever you hear something you don't agree with, you cry racism, bigotry; any adjective to alter the thinking of other people to conform with your personal ideals.
You may as well just call it McCarthyism. During the McCarthy era, actors were released and subsequently blacklisted from working again strictly for thinking Communism was OK, without any evidence being given that would indicate nor prove that they had actually committed any sort of crime. Despite Communism being an anathema to the Constitution of the United States, the actions of Sen. Joseph McCarthy are generally looked upon as un-American by modern schools of thought. Regardless whether you believe in Communism or not, suppressing the First Amendment is far more subversive than anything that Communist minds of the 1950s could come up with in America.

Today, we have an actor (Phil Robertson) who gave an unflattering opinion of the homosexual lifestyle. Basing their judgement only on the article published in GQ, Phil was subsequently released from Duck Dynasty indefinitely despite never having actually committed any type of crime. This is McCarthyism at its finest. Phil had his First Amendment rights violated and was unfairly persecuted so GLAAD could push its agenda to restrict dissent by making an example of him. This is no different than what was done by the House Un-American Activities Committee to thousands of Americans at the height of the Red Scare.

While I may not agree with Phil Robertson's sentiments, I would give my life for his right to express them. The First Amendment which covers Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Political Expression is the cornerstone upon which all other rights are based. To persecute Phil Robertson for exercising those rights is not only un-American, but it demonstrates a deep-seated ignorance of a rather dark time in American political history.

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree with Jackson, Robertson is a racist and homophobic piece of trash.
But being racist and homophobic should not be a crime. Our government is racist and has institutional racism embedded throughout the law. Why are they allowed to be racist but Phil Robertson isn't? Our government (like every government before it everywhere and always until about 1975ish) was always homophobic, and the vast majority of the people in the country agree with Phil Robertson on principle, if not in vulgar delivery, so why can't he be homophobic? The answer is, he can be.

He didn't go to jail for his answers, he ticked off his "employer" under terms of a voluntary contract. His rights are so far intact, as are A&E's. His opinion is his. It's one of the few freedoms any of us have left, forming our own opinions. If A&E wants to fire him and take away their bag of money, and he wants to hold firm on principle, well good for both of them. As said before, what will be the biggest tragedy is if in deference to the big bag of A&E's money, Phil Robertson drives another nail into free speech's coffin by going on some ridiculous apology tour. Giving in to the forces of political correctness and the whole group think, Newspeak, whatever you want to call this forced homogenization of thought....that would be tragic. One hell of a lot more tragic than some backwoods redneck Christian saying he finds homosexuals icky and wicked.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I didn't expect you to see the hypocrisy.

Many liberals definitely are demanding that Phil be censored and/or fired, yet are very quiet about Ahmadinejad. If Phil was dismissed from the show because he quoted the Bible, do you agree with it?

Which liberals are demanding this?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Liberals - they support him being fired for speaking his mind.

No they support the idea that private companies have a right to choose whom they employ. I don't know why the right wingers here don't.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You are right, and the real issue should be with GLAAD for pressuring A&E into firing Robertson.

I have no issue with a group of people voicing their opinions.

Why do you?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Nope, but if liberals support the free choice of A&E to make such decisions that they made concerning Phil Robertson, then they should support the right of Phil Robertson to make the statements which he did.

They are not, and that is troubling.

Intolerant and bigoted liberals wish to censor the man.

Yes, we do support his right to speak his mind. No one I know wants anyone to be censored.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
So does Harrier, however, too many liberals(not yourself) want to go much further and silence any dissent against their narrow point of view.

Who wants to silence dissenting opinions?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,342 times
Call me crazy, but this whole thing sounds like a set up to me. I looked up GQ or whatevertever it is called) and it's a fashion magazine. Why is a fashion magazine interested in Duck Dynasty? Especially Phil Robertson? Did they even interview the other family members? Why did he ask him questions that had nothing to do with Fashion or Duck Dynasty? It doesn't seem legit to me.

Regardless however, Phil Robertson has the right to speak his mind, A and E is a private company that does have the right to suspend him. Is it unfair? Absolutely. Phil Robertson didn't do anything wrong really, just quoted the Bible and expressed his Christian beliefs, beliefs that millions of people share. He wasn't even rude about it, he stated that he loves everyoneand would never treat them differently.

He's not homophobic at all, he's also not racist either, he simply stated that in the place he grew up he never saw the mistreatment of black people because everyone was poor and lived and worked side by side. People who are calling him racist or homophobic are taking things out of context, just the media doing it's thing again. The gay activists and the liberal thought police are out on a witch hunt again over a different opinion. Just like Chick - Fil A or that Pasta company. The hypocritical part too is that if a person was fired for expressing pro gay beliefs they would be standing behind that person, but if it's a Christian they want to hang them high.

In reality, it doesn't matter. A and E are taking a huge hit.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Call me crazy, but this whole thing sounds like a set up to me. I looked up GQ or whatevertever it is called) and it's a fashion magazine. Why is a fashion magazine interested in Duck Dynasty? Especially Phil Robertson? Did they even interview the other family members? Why did he ask him questions that had nothing to do with Fashion or Duck Dynasty? It doesn't seem legit to me.

Regardless however, Phil Robertson has the right to speak his mind, A and E is a private company that does have the right to suspend him. Is it unfair? Absolutely. Phil Robertson didn't do anything wrong really, just quoted the Bible and expressed his Christian beliefs, beliefs that millions of people share. He wasn't even rude about it, he stated that he loves everyoneand would never treat them differently.

He's not homophobic at all, he's also not racist either, he simply stated that in the place he grew up he never saw the mistreatment of black people because everyone was poor and lived and worked side by side. People who are calling him racist or homophobic are taking things out of context, just the media doing it's thing again. The gay activists and the liberal thought police are out on a witch hunt again over a different opinion. Just like Chick - Fil A or that Pasta company. The hypocritical part too is that if a person was fired for expressing pro gay beliefs they would be standing behind that person, but if it's a Christian they want to hang them high.

And they are curiously silent when it comes to how MUSLIMS persecute homosexuals.

LIberals are between a rock and a hard place there - they want to protect the gays, but are scared TO DEATH of offending the Muslims.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post

You have never heard of GQ? I know the magazine industry is dying, but that is a big magazine. If Phil didn't wish to be suspended from his employment, then he should have watched what he said better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies