Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 09:15 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
And they are curiously silent when it comes to how MUSLIMS persecute homosexuals.

LIberals are between a rock and a hard place there - they want to protect the gays, but are scared TO DEATH of offending the Muslims.
Why do people here always seem to speak of liberals as if they are some massive, monolithic hive-mind, rather than a loose collection of individuals with similar but varying beliefs, experiences, and expectations?

I for one have no problem offending muslims, or any followers of any of the Abrahamic religions for that matter.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Why do people here always seem to speak of liberals as if they are some massive, monolithic hive-mind, rather than a loose collection of individuals with similar but varying beliefs, experiences, and expectations?
Because they all have the same uninformed talking points they gleen from their propaganda sources.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Because they all have the same uninformed talking points they gleen from their propaganda sources.
Really? I hadn't noticed. I suppose it would be easy enough to say the same things about conservatives and their sources and talking points, (especially when they try to use non-academic sources and/or known hate groups such as the Family Research Council as references) but I refrain from doing so.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Getting somewhat back on topic:

A&E has itself in a trick bag right now. Stand firm and their money maker walks, taking with it (what was the number?) $400 million in product tie-ins. Cave and reinstate Robertson with no real discernible punishment and it opens itself up to more complaints from the original complainers. And likely some sort of half assed boycott and complaints to the FCC.

Punishment only works with people who give a ****. Phil Robertson, nor the family apparently, doesn't.

As far as someone earlier poo-pooing the financial piece and claiming that Storage Wars, in all its iterations, was the money maker while Duck Dynasty was an also ran. Well, I went looking for a Brandi and Jason flashlight for Christmas. Didn't see one. But there were an awful lot of Duck Dynasty items, or rather, empty racks where those products had been.

What seems to have been missed was that several months ago, in another interview, Phil had said he was going to back away from the show this season. At that point the family members interviewed said, basically, "Ok, that doesn't mean the show will end". Now it does. But the situation of that exit has changed.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually no, he didn't. His comments were PUT ON TV by others not related to him.
His comments were in a magazine and the latest ones (that has everyone's panties in a wad) that were televised were actually in his church and would have NEVER been placed on TV had he not A. Been on a popular TV show. B. Been embroiled in a P.C. controversy. C. Been able to make the "media" money or ratings. National Enquirerer anyone?

How about someone following you around recording what you say on a daily basis, or going back in your past and digging up something you said while in a group of your friends. I'd bet that most people have said things in a group that would look pretty darn bad to the general public if aired out.
Well, shouldn't one expect that when they collect wads of money to put their life on television? Just ask Kate +8 or Teresa Guidice. It reminds me of movie stars who complain about people wanting their autograph. No sympathy from me.

His comments were made to a quite popular men's magazine ~ did he think they were private when he was talking to the reporter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
And they are curiously silent when it comes to how MUSLIMS persecute homosexuals.

LIberals are between a rock and a hard place there - they want to protect the gays, but are scared TO DEATH of offending the Muslims.
So silly and off topic. Are we discussing muslims or the duck dynasty? It is CONSERVATIVES who are between a rock and a hard place on *this issue*.

Tell me, who should have the power to tell the employer, A&E, who they can hire, fire and/or suspend? Please tell me who should have the power to do that.

It is conservatives who have argued for employment at will; it is conservatives who argue that a job creator should be able to determine who they will hire/fire/serve/provide services to, etc.

If only poor Phil had a union.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Why do people here always seem to speak of liberals as if they are some massive, monolithic hive-mind, rather than han han a loose collection of individuals with similar but varying beliefs, experiences, and expectations?

I for one have no problem offending muslims, or any followers of any of the Abrahamic religions for that matter.
I admit I was generalizing, obviously invidividual liberals have varying degrees of beliefs. However by and large the only people who are offended by Phil hil hil Robertson and want him suspended are Liberals (particularly the overly sensitive politically correct kind) and gay activists.

It is odd however that liberals and gays are always silent when it comes to Muslims but are on the hunt for Christians constantly. Especially seeing as how Islam is NOT tolerant towards gays, they hate them and in their own countries they kill them. Christians, while we do see it as a sin, are taught to love and forgive others and not to judge them, for we are all sinners in one way or another.

I know many Christian's don't follow this, but that is the key difference between Islam and Christianity. Nothing Phil said was of hate.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:03 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What ticks me off about this entire fiasco is that these business entities listened to a vocal activist group and acted.
They didn't wait for viewer/customer feedback.
This is what the left will never get.....

Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Liberals.
How so?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What ticks me off about this entire fiasco is that these business entities listened to a vocal activist group and acted.
They didn't wait for viewer/customer feedback.
They are a private company, they can listen to whomever they choose to. Heck, they could have fired him before getting any feedback from the public at all.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How so?
Witness this entire controversy manufactured by GLAAD.

They want to squash any contrary views or statements to their own concerning homosexuality.

They want to eliminate dissent and are using Phil Robertson as a public way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies