Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times

Advertisements

It's pretty much common knowledge in medical profession many people on mediciaid will abuse the ambulance system for "non emergencies".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Really? Your ignorance to the issues astound me. First off, the fire department goes to the scene because they are paramedics and will get there before anyone else; including the ambulance. In the city I work in, the ambulance could be coming from 20+ mins away and that is not unusual. That way, the fire department paramedics can stabilize the patient long before the ambulance gets there (that was one of those union things, which came about 20+ years ago, in order NOT to downsize the fire department).

The police must clear the scene? Huh? For a medical call, the fire department can roll "Code 3." That means lights and siren. I CANNOT (more liberal, attorney reasons). The fire department is onscene at these calls, 95% of the time before I am or any other police officer. They have the person awake, which 99% of the time its just a drunk, and ready when I get there. Then the BIG question comes into play: Do I arrest them and take them to jail? Or have the ambulance take them to the emergency room and medically clear them first.

9 out of 10 times, they go to the emergency room first (at your tax dime). Why? Because if I take them to the jail, the jail will just call out another fire engine and ambulance and have them transported to the hospital anyway. Too much (read again, liberal) liability, for accepting them, without a doctor medically clearing them before incarceration.

Yeah, I know, its simple and easy when you are sitting at home, having a few martini's to "do the right thing." Its a whole different issue when you actually live it, breath it, and have to do it for real.
Why arrest someone for being drunk?

Do they need medical attention - yes/no?

If 'no' then don't call for medical support.

Are they being aggressive or stupid and threatening law abiding citizens - yes/no?

If 'no' then don't arrest them.

Most drunks are no danger to anyone including themselves. Why waste tax dollars on them?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
That's just pretty bad. One of those "wow" stories.

Sad that the taxpayers have to foot the bill but also sad that the medical expenses in this country have gotten so high. It's a shame.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I think the firemen show up in case the medics need help moving the patient. With close to half the people in this country obese and 30% morbidly so it often takes more than two people to move someone.
Does that explain the need for the fire truck? Or trucks?

This may not be accurate for all places but pinpoints the situation"

http://marginalrevolution.com/margin...ght-fires.html

[LEFT]According to Nightline it costs $3,500 every time a fire truck pulls out of a fire station in Washington, DC (25 calls in a 24 hour shift is not uncommon so this adds up quickly). Moreover, most of the time the call is not for a fire but for a minor medical problem. In many cities, both fire trucks and ambulances respond to the same calls. The paramedics do a great job but it is hard to believe that this is an efficient way to deliver medical care and transportation. A few locales have experimented with more rational systems. For example:For calls that are not a life or death, Eastside Fire and Rescue stations [in WA state] will no longer send out a fire truck but instead an SUV with one certified medic firefighter.
Sounds obvious, but it’s hard to negotiate with heroes especially when they are unionized with strong featherbedding contracts.[/LEFT]
- See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/07/firefighters-dont-fight-fires.html#sthash.kHhzdWxX.dpuf"

Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's just pretty bad. One of those "wow" stories.

Sad that the taxpayers have to foot the bill but also sad that the medical expenses in this country have gotten so high. It's a shame.
It's just an example of people who don't pay have no respect for those who do pay for these services. These people are only concerned about themselves.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
Each of Ferguson’s trips cost $425 plus mileage, and officials say taxpayers may have to pay a bill of more than $400,000 to cover expenses that aren’t covered by Medicaid, WCSC reports.
1) THATS INSANE THE TRIPS COST THAT MUCH,ITS JUST DISGUSTING AND GREED!!!!!

2) She should have to pay this!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp
It's pretty much common knowledge in medical profession many people on mediciaid will abuse the ambulance system for "non emergencies".
I wouldnt ever do that buddy,thats mean and wrong!

Old 12-28-2013, 01:45 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if you don't 'need' an ambulance but you're not allowed to refuse one?

Let the person who required it pay. If it is a doctor, they can add it to the bill and send to the patient if they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies