Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

A South Carolina woman was arrested after authorities discovered she called 911 at least 100 times in the past seven years to get rides into Charleston. Audrey Ferguson, 51, allegedly faked illnesses and would immediately sign out of area hospitals upon arrival, telling doctors she was fine, WCSC reports.

Each of Ferguson’s trips cost $425 plus mileage, and officials say taxpayers may have to pay a bill of more than $400,000 to cover expenses that aren’t covered by Medicaid, WCSC reports.

Last edited by petch751; 12-23-2013 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
You and me busted our butts, did without so we can pay taxes so it can be wasted. Nice huh?

Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
The next thing on Obama's list will be an Obama Car. It's a right that everyone deserves.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
That is a good idea though. I would have got a evac on helicopter every time.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Happens all day, everyday, in cities all across the country. Simple fact: The general public are naive, ignorant, and down right stupid to the facts.

A drunk person passed out on the sidewalk. Two police officers, a fire engine (3 firemen), and an ambulance crew are sent. Ambulance crew is a paramedic and EMT; or two paramedics, and combos there of. Everytime, all day, each day, in the city I work in. I respond to 4+ calls of this a day. Everyday, on every shift I work.

Those are your tax payer dollars and you fools buy into it. You want it and are more then happy to pay more.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My aunt was very immobile, overweight, and shouldn't have been living alone...and she used to call the ambulance all the time when she fell down or something. They actually did tell her they weren't going to come anymore without her paying for it and without first calling another nearby family member to vouch. It was never life threatening. Now she's in a nursing home.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Happens all day, everyday, in cities all across the country. Simple fact: The general public are naive, ignorant, and down right stupid to the facts.

A drunk person passed out on the sidewalk. Two police officers, a fire engine (3 firemen), and an ambulance crew are sent. Ambulance crew is a paramedic and EMT; or two paramedics, and combos there of. Everytime, all day, each day, in the city I work in. I respond to 4+ calls of this a day. Everyday, on every shift I work.

Those are your tax payer dollars and you fools buy into it. You want it and are more then happy to pay more.
I think I can guess which city that is...

But what's the alternative? Just leave the drunk people passed out on the sidewalk? It's not like they'd freeze to death, right?

And before you leap to conclusions, I am NOT defending the actions of the lady described in the OP, or the "regular customers" who use up so many police and healthcare resources day in and day out. I just don't think that ceasing to provide services altogether is the answer.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I think I can guess which city that is...

But what's the alternative? Just leave the drunk people passed out on the sidewalk? It's not like they'd freeze to death, right?

And before you leap to conclusions, I am NOT defending the actions of the lady described in the OP, or the "regular customers" who use up so many police and healthcare resources day in and day out. I just don't think that ceasing to provide services altogether is the answer.
No, ceasing isn't the answer. However, this is the SF Bay Area. Rarely do people "freeze to death." Is it truly necessary to have all those resources for a passed out drunk?

You don't live and work in the environment and have no clue as to WHY this occurs. It occurs, because of YOU. Yes YOU and the liberal mindset. See, jails REFUSE to take a passed out drunk. Why? The civil liability. One of a million dies, its the front page of the newspaper on how the police "beat a drunk" person to death. Or "died in police custody."

So now, they get an ambulance ride to the local emergency room (even more money there, which isn't explained), semi sobered up, then I get called to come get them, and take them to jail, so they can sober up more. And then you call, complain to the city council, it took 5 hours for me to get to your house, because your house was broken into. Sorry, I had 3 falling down drunks I had to arrest at the local hospital and transport to our jail. And all of the accompanying paper work. And god forbid ONE of pieces of paper doesn't say: "Cleared for incarceration." I have to go back to the local hospital and have the doctor sign a form, saying just that.

Its easy, simple, and tidy; sitting at home in your recliner and few martini's. Unless you see it, breath it, and live it; you really have no clue what it is you are talking about.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Why if not covered is my question .Must be taypayer ambulance and that just means they eat the cost .Here it would be her and they would write it off like so many who do not pay even with insurance paying part.That is one of the big questions with Obamacare polciies. If the person does not pay their portion the cost of care goes up and there are more people more likely to not pay or be able to pay.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
you call, complain to the city council, it took 5 hours for me to get to your house, because your house was broken into.
Actually, the one time I called the cops (just after being mugged at gunpoint on the street outside my home) there were 3 units there within 3 minutes.

Quote:
Its easy, simple, and tidy; sitting at home in your recliner and few martini's. Unless you see it, breath it, and live it; you really have no clue what it is you are talking about.
I'm finishing up my workday at one of the 2 jobs I have to work in order to afford to live in this city. Where do you think your salary comes from? So you can just quit your stereotyping. I have nothing but respect for first responders -- too bad the reverse isn't apparently the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies