Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Like I said, I have no problem with gun ownership at home
As the idiom goes, "home is where your heart is." My home is where I require firearms the least. It is when I am away from home, either hiking, camping, or fishing that I need my firearms handy.

I do not conceal carry either. I may need immediate access to my firearms, so I always open carry. I do not care if others know I am armed or not. Sometimes I will have breakfast at a restaurant or do some early morning shopping at a grocery store before I venture out to do some hiking, camping, and/or fishing, and I am literally "armed for bear."

If people have an issue with a law-abiding private citizen exercising their constitutionally protected right, then that is their problem, not mine.

Those that do not carry a firearm in Alaska are either: 1) Terminally stupid, or 2) Never venture out of the city.

If it was not for our firearms, humans would find out in a hurry that they are NOT on the top of the food chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
If you get involved in trying to stop a robbery you run that risk anyway. A shootout could turn a robbery where only money is stolen and no one gets hurt into a blood bath.
How do you know that the robber only has the intent of taking the money? How do you know he has no intent of leaving any witnesses? You think people who carry in public don't know how to handle their firearm? I have a news flash for you. Most people who carry get more range time and are more proficient than the police are. I go to a range that trains police, sheriffs office, FBI, ICE, Border Patrol and most of the common citizens I know who go to the range are better than any of the so called professionals.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,934 times
Quote:
If you get involved in trying to stop a robbery you run that risk anyway. A shootout could turn a robbery where only money is stolen and no one gets hurt into a blood bath.
We can argue what ifs all day. I can post several news articles and Youtube vids where your "what if's" never happened. Please post credible articles and/or YouTube vids where your "what if" came true.

Also, I can post more videos where a criminal killed an unarmed victim during a robbery even AFTER he got everything.

I'll be waiting to see how many you can come up with if any.

[edit] For someone who claims gun owners are fearful and paranoid sure as a hell of a phobia and imagination.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As the idiom goes, "home is where your heart is." My home is where I require firearms the least. It is when I am away from home, either hiking, camping, or fishing that I need my firearms handy.

I do not conceal carry either. I may need immediate access to my firearms, so I always open carry. I do not care if others know I am armed or not. Sometimes I will have breakfast at a restaurant or do some early morning shopping at a grocery store before I venture out to do some hiking, camping, and/or fishing, and I am literally "armed for bear."

If people have an issue with a law-abiding private citizen exercising their constitutionally protected right, then that is their problem, not mine.

Those that do not carry a firearm in Alaska are either: 1) Terminally stupid, or 2) Never venture out of the city.
Your last paragraph, is that because of the risk of being attacked by a bear or some sort of deranged elk or something? Excuse my ignorance but I don't live in Alaska, I live in Pennsylvania and the local Starbucks is a pretty benign place, the only drama being the barista forgetting to add whipped cream to someone's latte.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
How do you know that the robber only has the intent of taking the money? How do you know he has no intent of leaving any witnesses? You think people who carry in public don't know how to handle their firearm? I have a news flash for you. Most people who carry get more range time and are more proficient than the police are. I go to a range that trains police, sheriffs office, FBI, ICE, Border Patrol and most of the common citizens I know who go to the range are better than any of the so called professionals.
Well generally the goal of most robbers is to rob, surely? Why would they risk a much longer jail sentence by killing all the witnesses just to rob a measly $5,000 from the Starbucks register? You'd have to be pretty stupid to take that kind of risk.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Ask Timothy Treadwell why Alaskans carry guns..... Wait you can't.. A bear ate him.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You run the risk of being injured or killed just stepping out of the door of your home, not to mention all the ways you can die inside your own home. You cannot live without taking risks. The point of carrying a firearm is to mitigate those risks.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Well generally the goal of most robbers is to rob, surely? Why would they risk a much longer jail sentence by killing all the witnesses just to rob a measly $5,000 from the Starbucks register? You'd have to be pretty stupid to take that kind of risk.
How many PhD's do you think rob Starbucks? Not many.. Criminals are anything but smart. They don't care about the jail sentence because they think they are going to get away with their crime. You would have to rob two dozen Starbucks to get a $5000 total.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Ask Timothy Treadwell why Alaskans carry guns..... Wait you can't.. A bear ate him.
Tredwell was also unarmed. The real tragedy in Tredwell's case is that he also got his girlfriend killed due to his terminal stupidity. Just another moron lower-48er (commonly referred to as "Tourons" in Alaska) who thought all wildlife were domesticated pets.

Which is why it is Alaska's policy that whenever there is a problem with the wildlife, we relocate the touron causing the problem.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Tredwell was also unarmed. The real tragedy in Tredwell's case is that he also got his girlfriend killed due to his terminal stupidity. Just another moron lower-48er (commonly referred to as "Tourons" in Alaska) who thought all wildlife were domesticated pets.

Which is why it is Alaska's policy that whenever there is a problem with the wildlife, we relocate the touron causing the problem.
Good policy.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies