Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbohm

the jewish dietary laws dont apply to
christians. as to the rest, most of us accept all people because we know that we
also are sinners and fall short of the glory of god. that doesnt mean we have to
accept the lifestyle, or the choices people make when they go against god. hate
the sin, love the sinner
I wonder if Jesus had to follow Jewish dietary laws. I suppose he must have, what with being Jewish and all.
Oh, but wait! Being Christ, was he a Christian? So he didn't have to follow Jewish dietary laws?
It's all so confusing.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the jewish dietary laws dont apply to christians. as to the rest, most of us accept all people because we know that we also are sinners and fall short of the glory of god. that doesnt mean we have to accept the lifestyle, or the choices people make when they go against god. hate the sin, love the sinner.
In other words, these so called Christians pick and choose what parts of the Old Testament applies to them and what parts they can handily skip, eh?

Old 12-24-2013, 03:45 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I seems that many right wingers, mainly from the south, use religion as an excuse for their hatred.

The whole Duck Dynasty issue has been making headlines and the right winger are using the "it's his religious views" excuse.

The interesting thing with the hard right is that they choose the cherry pick only two issues, gay marriage and abortion. If they were "true christians" why are they not also attacking other teaching of the bible like:

Premarital sex is a sin?
Masturbation is a sin?
Divorce is a sin?
The those with wealth are to share with those that are poor?

and a big one Leviticus 11:10: And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you

It's funny as the DD did a whole show on crawfish (forbidden by the bible) and is also a common cuisine for other southern "christians"

The big question is why do these supposed "christians" choose to cherry pick certain versus yet completely ignore the rest of the bible?

Your regional prejudice is noted.

Having grown up on the north (New York) I can say I have seen much more prejudice exhibited there than I have witnessed living in the South.

The reason?
They are sins that are pushed upon others to accept that they do not agree with.

Thieves, masturbators, and other sinners et al do not go around asking to be validated by society.

All sin, only some promote it.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:54 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
hy·poc·ri·sy (h-pkr-s)
n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies
1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.

Religion in a nutshell.
no, people in a nutshell.

Quote:
If so, that does describe how many treat homosexuals. Do you know the meaning of prejudice?
you do understand that hating a sin is different from hating a person right?

Old 12-24-2013, 03:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
This is where the battle is now. In years past it has been alcohol, gambling, dancing, divorce, divine right of kings, etc, with a centuries long battle over the Trinity. As a new issue becomes prominent it is then the issue to be dealt with. You don't worry about a blister until it appears on your skin.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:17 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I wonder if Jesus had to follow Jewish dietary laws. I suppose he must have, what with being Jewish and all.
Oh, but wait! Being Christ, was he a Christian? So he didn't have to follow Jewish dietary laws?
It's all so confusing.
Because most Christians do not understand the bible and are easily lead to put themselves under the law of Moses. When the apostle Paul came onto the scene he was gave a new gospel of Jews and Gentiles together in one body serving Christ. He also freed believers from the law because the thrust of his gospel was " we are under grace and freed from the law.

Most Christians can not comprehend this freedom and get lead astray by the church. Such as, Christians are taught sometimes by their church that they should tithe 10%. But that law was gave to the Jews and Jews only and no where in Paul"s gospel who was the apostle of the gentiles do Christians find that requirement. Instead Paul says to give with a cheerful heart.

What a lot of Christians do is take the Law, the life of Jesus, and Paul"s new gospel and mix and match them into one message. In ignorance they did not heed the Apostle of the Gentiles {Paul} words where he said " we should divide the word of truth". And they get in jams like this thread of why are they not obeying the law themselves. So it is a good question of where does this logic come from? how is it right for me to point to the law about homosexuality and ignore almost all the rest? Why do Christians shackle themselves with the Law of Moses that was gave to the Jews and Jews only and think that have to tithe 10%?

Myself, being logical and all have choose to heed the words of the apostle of the gentiles Paul since I am non Jewish. The thrust of Pauls message was freedom, freedom from the Law. Instead of shackling down my self and others with the law I think about Paul's words of " working out your own salvation with fear and trembling" .

Old 12-24-2013, 04:20 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Because most Christians do not understand the bible and are easily lead to put themselves under the law of Moses. When the apostle Paul came onto the scene he was gave a new gospel of Jews and Gentiles together in one body serving Christ. He also freed believers from the law because the thrust of his gospel was " we are under grace and freed from the law.

Most Christians can not comprehend this freedom and get lead astray by the church. Such as, Christians are taught sometimes by their church that they should tithe 10%. But that law was gave to the Jews and Jews only and no where in Paul"s gospel who was the apostle of the gentiles do Christians find that requirement. Instead Paul says to give with a cheerful heart.

What a lot of Christians do is take the Law, the life of Jesus, and Paul"s new gospel and mix and match them into one message. In ignorance they did not heed the Apostle of the Gentiles {Paul} words where he said " we should divide the word of truth". And they get in jams like this thread of why are they not obeying the law themselves. So it is a good question of where does this logic come from? how is it right for me to point to the law about homosexuality and ignore almost all the rest? Why do Christians shackle themselves with the Law of Moses that was gave to the Jews and Jews only and think that have to tithe 10%?

Myself, being logical and all have choose to heed the words of the apostle of the gentiles Paul since I am non Jewish. The thrust of Pauls message was freedom, freedom from the Law. Instead of shackling down my self and others with the law I think about Paul's words of " working out your own salvation with fear and trembling" .
There's nothing logical about heeding the bible. Faith isn't logical.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
There's nothing logical about heeding the bible. Faith isn't logical.
You are correct. Logic is a man made discipline that has flaws as every one who has studied logic knows.

Faith transcends human logic.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:50 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You are correct. Logic is a man made discipline that has flaws as every one who has studied logic knows.

Faith transcends human logic.
Faith-Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence
Yep no flaws in that. I want to know where Christians got the idea of hell from.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:35 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

Thieves, masturbators, and other sinners et al do not go around asking to be validated by society.
You are correct, you do not have to recognize (validate) the 1 out of 4 Americans who do not share your religious beliefs. Or the 2 out of 3 humans on this planet that do not share your religious beliefs.

Quote:
They are sins that are pushed upon others to accept that they do not agree with.
Just who is it that is pushing you to accept a sin that you do not agree with? Are there people out there telling you what you have to agree to?
It is no wonder Christians feel persecuted. They do not understand the difference between agree and accept. With all due respect, the entire world is aware of the Christian objections to our current society. We have heard you loud and clear. I have to assume you have tried to pray the gay out of people, to pray the thought out of women considering abortion. Do you have any other actions planned to rid the world of gays and potential abortions, or can we expect more redundant speech?

Last edited by Bulldawgfan; 12-24-2013 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies