Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,642,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You haven't done what you claimed. You showed where two people each with a $7.45 an hour jobs can survive.
Having a roommate and splitting costs definitely IS part of survival, if that's what it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 08:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Plan B: Stop whining online about not being able to get gov't handouts.

How does that solve the problem of how to live on $7.45 an hour?

Old 12-25-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I thought anyone who met the financial need could get a Pell Grant. Go to an inexpensive state U and a Pell should just about cover tuition and books

BZZT! I live on a poverty-level income and I can't get a Pell Grant.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

Thanks, this is a start...the second one says I am eligible for 5 programs...now when i give them my email address that's when the spamming starts and doesn't stop for 12 months. I've seen this before...apparently a lot of scholarships are geographically specific, my zip code eliminated about 2800 of them.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:24 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Having a roommate and splitting costs definitely IS part of survival, if that's what it takes.
Perhaps so but that isn't showing how a person can make it on $7.45 an hour. Again, it's showing how two people making $7.45 an hour can make it together.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:27 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You haven't done what you claimed. You showed where two people each with a $7.45 an hour jobs can survive.
No, it was asked how to accomplish it, I provided the info, if you can't make it on your own, share an apt with someone else.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:32 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
No, it was asked how to accomplish it, I provided the info, if you can't make it on your own, share an apt with someone else.
I actually explained previously, how someone can live on 7.45 an hour.

Again, you showed how 2 people making $7.45 an hour can make it together. As far as your example goes it would prove out how someone could make it making absolutely nothing.

1. Find a roommate making good money and move in with them.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM

237 posts, read 191,530 times
Quote:
I actually explained previously, how someone can live on 7.45 an hour. I'll type slowly for the impaired.
1. Find a place to live that is within your means. My "X" lives in Williamsburg, in a 2 bedroom apt that's $800 a month with all utilities included. It's on the bus route, right up the rd from a grocery store and a drug store.
2. With a spouse, or a room mate, that splits the rent in ½ to $400 each. at $7.45 an hour, you earn app, $1291.33 a month. let's say you pay ¼ in taxes, that's $322.83, leaving $968.50 each. Subtract your half of the rent, leaving $568.50, EACH. While that means you won't have hbo, show time, cinemax, 100 mb internet, 2 iphones, and a jaguar, you can live off of that. Getting a part time job to suppliment that, or going to school part time to work towards a degree, with any of the THOUSANDS of grants, scholarships, or student loans available, is workable, especially since I know several people doing just that.

So, now that I have told you how you can live off of $7.45 an hour, now what?

BTW, In addition, you stated you paid people $10 an hour. If you started losing money, what are your options? Reduce money going out, or increase money coming in, increase prices, or reduce expenditures. Employee wages are an expenditure, so let's say you are getting the items of quality you require, and cannot spend less on your stock, that means reducing wages. Cutting back hours, cutting back on employees, or cutting back on wages, right? If you don't care about YOUR profit, then you either go out of business, or you HAVE to make a profit to stay in business, which means you HAVE to care about your profit.
First of all, I want to say thank you. Your the only post on here that made an actual argument back to me.

Second, I'd like to point out minimum wage is 7.25 an hour. That leaves with 1158.4 a month before taxes.

Unfortunately, not everyone lives in Williamsburg, VA. New Jersey taxes are much higher and so is rent. The only place you'd live with that money is the ghetto slum.

After taxes it leaves you with about, $900 (1158 * .22 and I took of the rest state income tax). $900 isn't a lot. Do a quick of New Jerseys Craig'slist check most roomates are charging over $600 plus. Say you get one for $450 like you said. Thats going to be a slum. Your left with $450 a month. You got to pay utilities. I'm talking only gas ($15 a month), electric ($75 a month), water ($30 a month). Your left with $330 a month. You better have good transportation if your trying to keep your job. Say you own a Craig's list beater. You're stilling paying 100 month for insurance and throw in $30 for repairs. Your left with $200 month. That's a food bill a month if you don't eat ramen noodles. But let's say you only spend $100 a month. You have to have a phone number to get job interviews. So throw $35 a month on to their. $65 is not going to pay for college. You best not get sick either or have your car breakdown.

Listen, depending on your age. You're fafsa isn't based on what you make. It's based on what your parents make. That could mean you get nothing. My parents kicked me out when I was 18. I used my computer skills to get a nice paying job, but most people didn't have my skills. Scholarships aren't guaranteed. That's like basing my education on the lottery.

Its possible in Williamsburg, but not everywhere.

And to address the business question. Of course I care about my profit. There's a difference between making 400k a year and paying your workers like slaves then making 120k a year and paying them well. How much money does one really need? I hope to make more money, but ill do it the right way. There's are other ways to cut expenditures. Employees aren't the only expenditures in a business.

Yes, its true if I wasn't making a profit, I would have to downsize. However, Costco and Apple and a lot of other stores can treat their employees nice and make a profit so it is possible. BTW, if I wasn't making a profit it wouldn't be because a small $3 pay increase, it would be because of poor cost management skills and poor marketing.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How does that solve the problem of how to live on $7.45 an hour?
Its 7.25 btw.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I highly doubt this sandwich shop is raking in "billions".

You are lumping all business together and speaking like they are all JPMorgan or Walmart.
They don't have to be... I'm not and still pay employees decently.

Oh and he messed up big time. He's going to have to find people who are servsafe certified or his insurance will be through the roof. And he'll have fun paying a high unemployment insurance. Then he has to find people and retrain them. That cost time. And that cost money. Considering his store won't be open he is also losing money with the rent and bills he has to pay. He also has bad publicity and his money may be gone. A lot of small businesses don't make it and I don't this one will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies