Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkarr View Post
Not at all. I live in a major city and metropolitan area.
Again, 96% of Americans celebrate the national holiday.

Most Floridians are Christians as well
Then there isn't actually a war on Christmas is there? Even still, only half of those celebrate it as a religious holiday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:07 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Not true. Prior to 1870 only some individual states observed Christmas as legal holiday (Just like Good Friday today). My spouse work for the federal government.
Please read. Prior to 1968

Old 12-24-2013, 10:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
I want to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas; the most famous and celebrated holiday in the world and most celebrated national holiday in the United States.

Enough with political correctness in the U.S. and also Canada, while rest of the western world (even in the UK and Australia) where 'Christmas' is used exclusively looking at various mall, stores and McDonald's sites whereas in North America 'holiday' is used much more when referring to Christmas.

Why would somebody be offended by Christmas when 80% of Americans are Christians and 96% celebrated the holiday?! Gash!

The supposed "war on Christmas" is a manufactured crisis by Christians to spread hate and intolerance of non-Christians.

Society, Science & Soul Wisdom: Christmas Belongs to Everyone (or a Little History Lesson for Christians)

Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM

82 posts, read 63,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Oh look, yet another thread in which the poor persecuted majority whines that a national holiday, decorations everywhere, and Christmas music being piped into every store are not enough and instead chooses to use one of the two most important days in Christianity as an excuse to be angry and upset that they don't get to totally control the words that come out of everyone's mouths and don't get to completely ignore the other holidays people are also separating.

What sad, spiteful little people they are, taking one of the most joyous days they should have and twisting it into something to be mad about.
If cashiers stopped greeting people with "Happy Holiday" especially few days prior to Christmas, especially on Christmas Eve, and especially when they know most people are Christians and celebrate the national holiday, and especially for me wearing a visible cross then we would not complain.

How come in the UK, Australia and elsewhere besides the US/Canada there is no war on Christmas? Please explain.
Both nations have less percentage of Christians.

Why did Rhode Island governor call it holiday tree as one example?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
If someone says Merry Christmas to me, I say exactly the same thing I say if someone says Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, Happy Birthday....I simply say "Thanks you!"
You can't! Remember: There's a WAR!!!!! WAR, I tell you.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Political correctness is demanding a certain phrase be used. That's what you're doing.

I have no problems with either 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays'.

But you do. You're the one peddling political correctness by insisting that only certain terminology is acceptable. You're so self-centered that you think you deserve well-wishes, and you think you deserve only those exact well-wishes you want.

You really need to stop being so full of yourself.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Few Orthodox Churches celebrate Christmas in January according to Julian calendar.
What do you mean "few"? Russian, Ukranian, Greek, Armenian, Ethiopian, Bulgarian, Cypriot, Macedonian, Bosnian, Moldovian, Georgian, Romanian, etc., is hardly a few.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,559 times
Quote:
If cashiers stopped greeting people with "Happy Holiday" especially few days prior to Christmas, especially on Christmas Eve, and especially when they know most people are Christians and celebrate the national holiday, and especially for me wearing a visible cross then we would not complain.

How come in the UK, Australia and elsewhere besides the US/Canada there is no war on Christmas? Please explain.
Both nations have less percentage of Christians.

Why did Rhode Island governor call it holiday tree as one example?
Does Christmas have so little meaning to you that someone saying "Happy Holidays" or calling a tree something other than a Christmas tree makes a difference?

Perhaps the cashier does not notice your cross? Perhaps the cashier wants to be inclusive of all of her customers rather than inclusive. Perhaps the cashier isn't Christian. Perhaps her boss isn't Christian.

Just say thank you or Merry Christmas back and go on with your celebration. I will never understand why saying something that includes everyone is offensive.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:19 AM

82 posts, read 63,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What do you mean "few"? Russian, Ukranian, Greek, Armenian, Ethiopian, Bulgarian, Cypriot, Macedonian, Bosnian, Moldovian, Georgian, Romanian, etc., is hardly a few.
Greeks, Assyrians and Syriac Orthodox Churches celebrate Christmas on Dec 25.
Vast majority of Christians and the western world do it tomorrow.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
I want to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas; the most famous and celebrated holiday in the world and most celebrated national holiday in the United States.

Enough with political correctness in the U.S. and also Canada, while rest of the western world (even in the UK and Australia) where 'Christmas' is used exclusively looking at various mall, stores and McDonald's sites whereas in North America 'holiday' is used much more when referring to Christmas.

Why would somebody be offended by Christmas when 80% of Americans are Christians and 96% celebrated the holiday?! Gash!
The most famous and celebrated holiday is New Year's.
Who are you to demand an end to political correctness, especially in a country you don't live in?
I live in the most secular place in North America, and Happy Holidays suits us just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies