Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:04 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
These companies should start working with the school districts to better hone the skills needed in the future labor market. Force kids to take at least two years of computer science like they do for foreign languages. Don't just teach them how to use a computer, teach them how to write programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Here is the thing...computer science does almost nothing for somebody looking to go to work in the networking field. And neither does programming language or coding.

Networking is pretty much a cornered market by Cisco which has proprietary hardware and routing protocols.

It's not like going to learn....plumbing. It's a specialized field. Maybe if they didn't wipe out all the vocational schools in the country, this could have been a reality. But, you have to pay your way for everything now.
You're both right, but there's no amount of training that will prepare you for the grim world of production environment. All professionals have their battle scars from major mess-ups, myself included. And no organization wants to be the one where people get that sort of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yeah, all paid under fake or stolen numbers. Those who had their SS numbers used by illegals will be the benefactors of that not our government. Illegals shouldn't be given back anything as their social costs are much higher than any taxes they pay into the system.
Actually, I knew a woman who was born in Mexico and a couple in South Texas adopted her (probably illegally) when she was an infant. She got her Social Security number at the Social Security Office as a young woman. It's not hard to get a number, or at least it wasn't back then. She lived and worked in this country her whole life, and when it was time to retire she found out she couldn't get the social security she had paid into the system.

It wasn't someone else's card, it was her own. She worked at the same company for over 25 years. That's why I say the immigration issue is not that simple. This woman knows as much about Mexico as I do, which is not much. She didn't walk across that border, she was brought here. I'm not even sure she knew she wasn't legal for a long time.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM

62,931 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Actually, I knew a woman who was born in Mexico and a couple in South Texas adopted her (probably illegally) when she was an infant. She got her Social Security number at the Social Security Office as a young woman. It's not hard to get a number, or at least it wasn't back then. She lived and worked in this country her whole life, and when it was time to retire she found out she couldn't get the social security she had paid into the system.

It wasn't someone else's card, it was her own. She worked at the same company for over 25 years. That's why I say the immigration issue is not that simple. This woman knows as much about Mexico as I do, which is not much. She didn't walk across that border, she was brought here. I'm not even sure she knew she wasn't legal for a long time.
Not sure how she was able to get a valid SS number for herself if she was here illegally. On what basis was she denied SS under her own valid number then? Something is amiss with this story. However, I have no sympathy for what happens to illegal aliens that don't even have a right to live or work in this country. Even if they are brought here as children they are still here illegally. The blame is on the parents and in no way should the parents be rewarded for doing so by allowing their children to remain here and retain any American benefits.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
It would be pretty boring to go out to eat in a restaurant.

In LauraC's America, people who open restaurants specializing in dishes from their native countries, go to the front of the immigration line. I'll throw in bakeries and delis, too.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:07 AM

37,187 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If today, everyone who currently lives in America, but was born overseas (legal and illegal), went back to the country they were born in and did not return, what would happen?

These include: the immigrant scientists, engineers, computer geniuses, landscapers, restaurant workers, wonderful people, criminals and, legal and illegal residents. Everyone who was born overseas leaves tomorrow.

Would this eventually be good for America because we would all speak a common language and share a common culture, or bad for America because we would lose the skills and talents of the foreign born residents? Your thoughts.
Go rent the movie "A Day Without A Mexican". It's probably on Netflix.

Pretty good summary of what would happen.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Go rent the movie "A Day Without A Mexican". It's probably on Netflix.

Pretty good summary of what would happen.
You're kidding, right? That movie is about illegal aliens not "immigrants". A day without illegals would be heavenly.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It would be pretty boring to go out to eat in a restaurant.

In LauraC's America, people who open restaurants specializing in dishes from their native countries, go to the front of the immigration line. I'll throw in bakeries and delis, too.
That's not a good reason to import more foreigners. We already have every conceivable foreign born person already living here. How many more ethnic restaurants do we need?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM

37,187 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
You're kidding, right? That movie is about illegal aliens not "immigrants". A day without illegals would be heavenly.
However you choose to designate them. The fact is, the illegals have not been rounded up because they represent too valuable a source of cheap labor to let them go, and the big republican farmers are the ones who need them the most.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
That's not a good reason to import more foreigners. We already have every conceivable foreign born person already living here. How many more ethnic restaurants do we need?
Every "conceivable" foreign-born person is 7.137 billion minus 279 million (currently about 12% of the U.S. population is foreign-born). Your statement shows involvement of hyperbole. I need to resurrect my "Quote of the Day" on my C-D profile if I start seeing gems like this again.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
However you choose to designate them. The fact is, the illegals have not been rounded up because they represent too valuable a source of cheap labor to let them go, and the big republican farmers are the ones who need them the most.

Um no, there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers. So we don't need illegal aliens to do those jobs. You have proof of course that the farmers that do hire them are Republicans? Thought not! Only 3% of illegals are picking crops anyway. The other 97% are doing jobs that Americans have always done for a fair wage. If you want to get into party affiliations what about those Democrats that are advocating amnesty for them? You don't think they have an ulterior motive to pander to ethnocentric Hispanic citizens for votes and eventually citizenship for these illegals who will also vote Democrat?

It's not only Republican businessmen that hire illegals. Democrats do it also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies