Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:08 PM

62,867 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Both are running thin through mismanagement and poor handling. When the economy is doing tough people believe that wealth and jobs are static quantities. There is still so much opportunity in America even with the amount of illegals we have. I agree with enforcing the immigration laws and deporting illegals but the amount of actual impact they have on the employment rolls is negligible.
Not true. Their presence here is a big negative impact on our blue-collared American workforce. Not to mention that they reduce the wages for those who are employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:11 PM

62,867 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
*Their primary language.

Also that's a generalization. Does every Hispanic choose Spanish? No, I know from first hand experience that is not true. First generation immigrants will just about always choose their native tongue but their children start to assimilate and their grandchildren are fully Americanized.
You're right, they don't "all" choose Spanish as their primary language of usage but a good majority of them do. Otherwise why do I constantly hear them speaking exclusively in Spanish out in public from every generation?

Old 12-25-2013, 09:21 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Another BS post. The jobs you are describing have been taken over by illegal aliens not legal immigrants. Why would an American worker work for half of what they use to get until the arrival of cheap, illegal labor? Americans have always done those jobs and many other blue-collared jobs for a fair wage and would continue to do so but these greedy employers break the law and hire illegal aliens instead to fatten their wallets.
And they're not paying the illegals $10 an hour, either.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
If all foreign born residents of America disapeared, what would happen?

We wouldn't have any foreign residents.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
I am mixed on my original question but one thing that I hear over and over from champions of huge increases of immigration is they have skills that American born residents don't have. I find this to be naïve and off-putting. You mean to tell me that because someone was born in America they lack skills, a work ethic and the ability to be creative?

With 250 Million people in the USA who were born in America, you can't find someone with the skills to keep our business and governmental organizations going?

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 12-26-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I am mixed on my original question but one thing that I hear over and over from champions of huge increases of immigration is they have skills that American born residents don't have. I find this to be naïve and off-putting. You mean to tell me that because someone was born in America they lack skills, a work ethic and the ability to be creative?

With 250 Million people in the USA who were born in America, you can't find someone with the skills to keep our business and governmental organizations going?
It really means immigrants that have the skills are willing to do the work for less money than Americans that have the skills. So great, America is slowly working its way toward paying highly educated, highly skilled workers peanuts. Once we sink to the level of the third world countries they come from, maybe we will stop importing them.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:08 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Both are running thin through mismanagement and poor handling. When the economy is doing tough people believe that wealth and jobs are static quantities. There is still so much opportunity in America even with the amount of illegals we have. I agree with enforcing the immigration laws and deporting illegals but the amount of actual impact they have on the employment rolls is negligible.
There was a recent article of how an illegal alien was working as an police officer. Apparently her mother didn't tell her she was illegal. I am sure there are thousands, perhaps millions of similar cases in other industries.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

I agree.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
*Their primary language.

Also that's a generalization. Does every Hispanic choose Spanish? No, I know from first hand experience that is not true. First generation immigrants will just about always choose their native tongue but their children start to assimilate and their grandchildren are fully Americanized.
I tend to disagree. Most hispanics I encounter will deliberately speak Spanish instead of English even though they know English. Very few that I know speak English over Spanish.

Becoming Americanize is speaking English as your first language & native tongue.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Americans would have to do the grunt jobs that they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies