Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:16 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times

Advertisements

Just a thought for today. The company pays you minimum wage. Is that all the company pays? No, they pay others more. That's just how much the company pays YOU. Now, what will you do to make yourself better to earn more. Courtesy of Jim Rohn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 02:01 PM

204 posts, read 309,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Just a thought for today. The company pays you minimum wage. Is that all the company pays? No, they pay others more. That's just how much the company pays YOU. Now, what will you do to make yourself better to earn more. Courtesy of Jim Rohn.
Explain to me the purpose of Minimum Wage. Can anybody explain to me the purpose? If No one does I will.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:25 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
What would be better then raising min wage is a negative income tax or basic income

Old 12-25-2013, 05:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Explain to me the purpose of Minimum Wage. Can anybody explain to me the purpose? If No one does I will.
To get votes for Democratic candidates.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
To get votes for Democratic candidates.
True.

Liberals are all about symbolism and zero substance.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
What would be better then raising min wage is a negative income tax or basic income
You mean paying people for not working or contributing to society?

You must be a Democrat.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Just as other wages have stayed the same unless one does something extra of value. Its just a starting point minimum and doesn't change like the goals of people to upward movement.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:49 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
The policies of the Fedgov and Federal Reserve have stripped hundreds of billions of dollars from seniors....and put them into the pockets of the very, very rich. But hey, for some reason the Stinkocrats/Liberals/Hipsters seem ok with this fact.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
But can you afford anything else, or is that a secondary problem?
That's the question the "livable wage" people never want to answer. Exactly what is a "livable wage"? Is it being able to buy enough to eat? Or is it being able to buy enough to eat and pay a share of the rent if you have 3 or 4 room mates? Or is it enough to buy a house, new car every 3 years and support a wife and kids?

If you can buy food chances are you're going to live. It won't be a great life, but no one is guaranteed a long or happy life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
No it is not should be $14 min
Why? Did you just pull the number from...thin air... or do you have a real justification for it? Should it be $14 in Manhattan, or in Beaver Nebraska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
I agree. I also think livable wage should be 15.50$ an hour at 40 hours a week that's 29,760$ a year. I make less than that and can provide for my family.
If you are providing for your family at LESS than $15.50 (the dollar sign goes in front of the amount) then clearly that is MORE than a "livable wage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Adults shouldn't be making minimum wage.
Adults who never gained any skills to be worth more than minimum wage are lucky to get that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
Some people can't,won't or don't want to. Maybe they enjoy their job. That doesn't mean they should be given a livable wage. If you want to continue paying for these people's welfare then so be it. I really don't. I want the corporations to cut just a little from their CEO's MILLION dollar salaries and give just a tad more to their workers.
You've clearly swallowed the CEO's are evil party line, hook line and sinker. Small businesses create something over 60% of jobs in this country, all those "CEOs" running these small businesses do not have million dollar salaries.

Sounds like a great reason to cut welfare. It's not my responsibility to support someone beyond their means because they like their minimum wage job.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:59 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djboutit View Post
cost of living has been going up every yr but minimum wage stays the same so more and more people will be homeless . I think there needs to be a minimum wage that fixed to cost of living like obama has proposed. I think everyone who makes $12 hr or less needs to do a mass walk out then that might get these employers and the government to change things
ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies