Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I am 100% sure MOST of those that are saying the Pharm should have given her the pen with NO script would be saying WHY did he? give it to her without a script had the child died from an OD ... I KNOW how they think.
I wouldn't. Not to mention the likelihood is extremely remote an EpiPen would kill somebody - especially a person without an underlying heart condition.

Quote:
The Mom was 100% at fault here.
Really? Sure, she bears some of the fault, but the person most at fault here is the girl who died.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I am 100% sure MOST of those that are saying the Pharm should have given her the pen with NO script would be saying WHY did he? give it to her without a script had the child died from an OD ... I KNOW how they think. The Mom was 100% at fault here.
i will say one thing that the pharmacist could have done, and that was call 112 or 999(the irish emergency numbers) and get medical help for the girl. other than that....

Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
This is EXACTLY what happens when so much power is restricted to a very few, who are legislated and sued in acting like monsters.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
This case was in Ireland but in the USA with the government regulating so much, the pharmacist and pharmacy could not only be sued but could be sent to prison for practicing medicine without a license.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The mother could have grabbed some over-the-counter antihistamine like Benadryl and had the child swallow it quick and rush her to an emergency room.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This case was in Ireland but in the USA with the government regulating so much, the pharmacist and pharmacy could not only be sued but could be sent to prison for practicing medicine without a license.
Probably not the case. Like Ireland, many states specifically allow pharmacists to administer adrenaline without a prescription in an emergency situations. Arizona for instance:

http://www.azpharmacy.gov/rules_and_...ion%20rule.pdf

Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Probably not the case. Like Ireland, many states specifically allow pharmacists to administer adrenaline without a prescription in an emergency situations. Arizona for instance:

If the pharmacist was legally allowed to do it . . why did he/she not do so?

I agree the mother was negligent but STILL. Whatever happened to standing up for what is good and right?

I'll bet that pharmacist feels like crap now.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
The pharmacist was very rigid in her thinking - she may have been worried about legal issues, and as some have mentioned, money, and she let all those other "concerns" override her moral obligation to do what was decent and right.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If the pharmacist was legally allowed to do it . . why did he/she not do so?

I agree the mother was negligent but STILL. Whatever happened to standing up for what is good and right?

I'll bet that pharmacist feels like crap now.
as i have said before, pharmacists are NOT trained in the finer points of the law in regards to their profession. they get the standard "you are to dispense controlled medications with a prescription only" mantra hammered into their heads all through school. at some point they MAY get a quick lesson in some fo the finer points, probably all of ten minutes at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
The pharmacist was very rigid in her thinking - she may have been worried about legal issues, and as some have mentioned, money, and she let all those other "concerns" override her moral obligation to do what was decent and right.
stop looking at this on monday morning, and try to see it like pharmacist saw it then. mom likely didnt communicate the seriousness of the situation, because mom DIDNT understand the seriousness herself. and if mom didnt understand, then how could the pharmacist understand?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
stop looking at this on monday morning, and try to see it like pharmacist saw it then. mom likely didnt communicate the seriousness of the situation, because mom DIDNT understand the seriousness herself. and if mom didnt understand, then how could the pharmacist understand?
Mom thought it wasn't serious enough to call 911 and thought she had enough time to walk the 6 blocks to the hospital. Given this ...there is no way she communicated the deadly urgency to the pharmacy person (we still don't know that it was a pharmacist or a clerk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies