Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
So it doesn't have to be cost effective in your opinion? They can waste as much money as they see fit. That is the problem with virtually every agency in the US government. They have a signed blank check. They aren't expected to act in a cost effective manner. That is exactly why single payer won't work in this country. Ask anyone in the federal government what time it is and they will try and tell you how to build a watch, irrespective of having no knowledge of watchmaking.

It should be cost effective but if it is running at a deficit, I don't think it means the program is bad or should be discontinued. Like I said, government isn't a business. It is its own animal and has completely different goals from a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm sorry you're having such difficulties following with the thread.. Heck, AA didnt even know the doctors in question were already seeing 13K medicaid patients, but they were whining that they should see more because its unfair they need a "profit"...

No need to apologize to me. I'm following along quite nicely, thankyouverymuch.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Everyone should be taxed and many of the loopholes in the system need to be sewn shut.
So even those on welfare, not paying anything, should pay taxes..
Quote:
IME and IMO, yes they did what they were designed to do.
They are keeping people in poverty, I'm sure thats not what they were designed to do
Quote:
Nope. And I don't care. Government isn't supposed to be run like a business. Its goal is not to turn profits. Its goal is to work for the people.
Actually it is.. Government has to pay its bills just like everythign else in the world. While its not designed to turn a profit, its not designed also to run deficits forever.. How many nations have crashed due to debt, and people who think its ust ok..

Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
LOL!!!!

I said I'm perfectly fine with MY TAXES (see that word "MY"???) going up.
Yeah, I'm sure if you're paying health insurance costs, you're all more than fine and dandy with just sending part of that money to the government so you can have insurance, as long as those who have more money, have to subsidize your expenses..

Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
It should be cost effective but if it is running at a deficit, I don't think it means the program is bad or should be discontinued. Like I said, government isn't a business. It is its own animal and has completely different goals from a business.
An anti-poverty program that consumes many billions of dollars is bad if we only end up with more poverty. When something doesn't work, we shouldn't keep doing it.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
If you want more people to pay for their own insurance then convince the bosses to pay better wages and then they can afford to pay.
Maybe you dont comprehend the point that people are on medicaid.. Why would they pay for their own insurance if medicaid is picking up the tab? There are people who REFUSE to earn more, because they know doing so, will get their handouts reduced.

How exactly do you convince the bosses to pay more, thus increasing their costs, and if stuff costs more, to compensate for this added expense, then how will these people afford these higher costs, and now insurance? You arent making any sense when reality kicks in

Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
So even those on welfare, not paying anything, should pay taxes..
Obviously not. Does it need to be spelled out? :sigh: I guess so.

Those without an income should not be taxed. This would include the nonworking poor, elderly, disabled and children.

Quote:
They are keeping people in poverty, I'm sure thats not what they were designed to do
That has not been my experience nor the experience of many people I know who have been able to survive, learn, eat and get to work because of these programs.

Quote:
Actually it is.. Government has to pay its bills just like everythign else in the world. While its not designed to turn a profit, its not designed also to run deficits forever.. How many nations have crashed due to debt, and people who think its ust ok..
Is it or is it not? You start off saying the goal of government is to turn a profit and then you say it isn't. Which is it?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
No, I don't think I will "try again."

I know from where I speak. Those programs are lifesavers for thousands of people and their families.
Being a life saver, isnt the discussion, its how many are under budget and effective at providing hand ups.. not hand outs..

yes, you need to try again.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure if you're paying health insurance costs, you're all more than fine and dandy with just sending part of that money to the government so you can have insurance, as long as those who have more money, have to subsidize your expenses..

I am paying healthcare costs.

I am fine and dandy with paying taxes so everyone can have access to quality healthcare.

I think everyone who has a working income should pay taxes.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
All handouts run deficits, thats what their designed to do and no one is complaining about it.. The question once again is how many of them run under budgets..

NONE of them.. And many of them are counter productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies