Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 12:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You're not looking at the big picture. If there was cradle to grave medical care paid for by taxpayers similar to medicare, then employers wouldn't have to contribute to the employee's health plan and the employers would be able to pass a portion of that money along to the employee. A definite win-win. Also the money now paid by individuals for insurance premiums would be applied to the taxes required to fund the system. .
No they wouldnt.. They are being saddled with taxes as we speak over it. Simply changing the money paid for the business from paying the insurance company, to the government doesnt create some phantom surplus and expense cuts. The money needs to come from somewhere..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm a-ok with my taxes going up (along with the rich) if it means we have a single payer system.
you (a tax payer) cant afford a singlepayer system for 320 million people

Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
True.

But there are many of us who could afford a tax increase, myself included. Especially if that tax increase resulted in a single payer system.
really??? you could afford a 25,000 to 60,000 increase in your taxes???

Old 12-29-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
You do realize thanks to obamacare that most employers are cutting people to below 30 hours...finding a job was hard enough now finding one that offers insurance is even worse. Wife's company offers insurance we get medicaid so don't need it. Enough taxes taken from her check as it is.
ahhh there it is

you and your wife are OFFERED health care through your work and you REFUSE. looking for the tax payer to pay for YOUR bills

enough taxes taxen???...you di understand if we went to a singlepayer your taxes would go up ...extremely high

singlepayer to cover 320 million people would cost between 3 trillion (for a 75/25 type coverage) to 6 trillion for a 100% coverage (minus cosmetic and the normal typy of denials you see through medicare/caid)

meanwhile there are less than 100 million tax payers...that means an average of 25,000 to 60,000 dollars tax increase per taxpayer

Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Money from my check is taken out of my check to pay for medicare which I have so I am paying for my insurance.
uhm do you read what you type

you pay for (out of your check) the mediCARE for the ELDERLY

you receive mediCAID( for the poor)(but you work, so betting dollars is you are you would loss that entitlement if you ever earned a raise)...which you DONT pay for directly...although you do pay taxes so it is a partial payment for your entitlement

Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 PM

8,861 posts, read 5,347,088 times
Quote:

Anyone with a 4th grade education would be able to use the good old context clue to understand what he meant.
I believe he has shown exactly what he meant. He is a big fan of free healthcare, for himself. His wife's job offers insurance but elects not to take it as she'd have to pay for it. It would seem he wants all those rich doctors to treat him for nothing.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 PM

8,861 posts, read 5,347,088 times
Quote:
I'm a-ok with my taxes going up (along with the rich) if it means we have a single payer system.
Actually this thread has demonstrated why I don't want single payer. Why do I have to pay for someone like AA, who could obtain insurance through his wife's employer but says heck with that, I'll just avail myself of the free Medicaid and complain when doctors don't feel compelled to treat me for nothing?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
I'd hardly call them lucky. The people I am talking about have pre-existing conditions which prevented them from affording health insurance for much of their adult lives.

This program is helping many, many families as well. I don't think its perfect but it is helping people.
But since you are so rich, you can afford much higher taxes (unlike many of us) why did you need the government to force you to give, why didn't you help them pay for health insurance yourself?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Actually this thread has demonstrated why I don't want single payer. Why do I have to pay for someone like AA, who could obtain insurance through his wife's employer but says heck with that, I'll just avail myself of the free Medicaid and complain when doctors don't feel compelled to treat me for nothing?
I've seen a lot of that first hand. People opt NOT to get health insurance because they know the government will give them Medicaid. Medicaid is better for them because with Medicaid, there are no co-pays, no limits on care like there can be with Medicare and private insurance.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,213,022 times
Quote:
I know.Scares republicans to death doesn't it. What is shocking to me is people like you and the libertarian dude is the fact you could care less if poor people live or die. As long as the corporations get their money and the religious right is taken care of who gives a crap about anyone else. I will NEVER vote republican again and for that matter probably will never vote democrat regardless of the fact the only time I ever have voted democrat was for a Sheriff candidate because I hated the republican running.I may scare you but people such as yourself make me sick to my stomach to think people care so little for the poor and disabled in this country. You hate welfare,healthcare and livable wages for the poor. Yet you want the corporations to have more money and the top 1% to make more and hate unions that try and make things better for the truly down on their luck working person.
I'm going to clue you in on something..... Doctors give until they bleed.... But you liberals can't understand that.... They are some of the most giving people there are out there.. You are so set in your dumb ass ways even after someone broke it down for you you still don't get it....And don't bother answering me because I can' put up with your stupid ass ****!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies