Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,447,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is the problem. It's not necessarily a "government" problem - it's a "people" problem. More and more people will sell themselves and the country to some extent to the highest bidder.

... or maybe the government protection of the drug industry, making it a safe place to enrich himself.
...or maybe it is some one earning a living like most of America.

Not some sort of evil conspiracy that exists only in delusional minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 04:55 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,908,091 times
The mercenary strikes Harrier as a liberal.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,288,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Your examples are flawed. You couldn't do any of them even if you wanted to since those activities are illegal. What the ex-DEA agent is doing is legal in the state of Washington.

A better analogy would be if you worked for a FDA or some other public agency for food nutrition and one day you decided to quit and work for McDonald's. Or you worked for the EPA but terminated your employment with them and now work for British Petroleum.

[at worst, he's a hyprocrite but I think he just saw the idiocy of the War on Drugs]
Quoth MLK, "Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal."
http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles...irmingham.html

I have a problem with making money throwing humans behind bars for doing X, then turning around and making money by doing X.

As Harrier notes, and as evidenced on this thread, many liberals just don't see it that way.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:22 PM

45,316 posts, read 26,848,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
...or maybe it is some one earning a living like most of America.

Not some sort of evil conspiracy that exists only in delusional minds.
No conspiracy - just looking at what they do. Borders are open. There's an 80 mile swath of land in Arizona off limits to Americans. They had the opportunity to burn up the poppy fields in Afghanistan to cut off money from the Taliban - chose not to do so. The war on drugs is pretty much silent.

At the least - you should admit that what they have done is ineffective.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,409,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Quoth MLK, "Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal."
Letter from a Birmingham Jail [King, Jr.]

I have a problem with making money throwing humans behind bars for doing X, then turning around and making money by doing X.

As Harrier notes, and as evidenced on this thread, many liberals just don't see it that way.
Fair enough. We will have to agree to disagree.

[as for the liberals, maybe they have a different take on the matter]

Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,288,771 times
Quote:
Fair enough. We will have to agree to disagree.

[as for the liberals, maybe they have a different take on the matter]
Fair enough. Perhaps it comes down to one's view of slavery and unwarranted incarceration. Some abhor it, some are fine with it.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,556,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I guess the hard part to accept is that you want to believe people who are fighting against drugs (in this case) truly believe in the cause and want to stop the spread of drugs in our culture.

But the fact is he doesn't care. He cares more about making money for himself. That's his prerogative. He has no standards, but whatever.

It is like if Al Gore, great preacher of global warming and climate change, owned stock in big oil companies. Oh... he does.
he was hired to enforce the laws ;if he did that than good we got what we paid for. the danger is hiring a person who ignores the laws in forcing them as always. I can't believe anyone thinks police always favor laws they enforce or even what means allowed to enforce them. Its likely do not do not agree that means allowed are effective to solve a problem.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:26 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,409,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
he was hired to enforce the laws ;if he did that than good we got what we paid for. the danger is hiring a person who ignores the laws in forcing them as always. I can't believe anyone thinks police always favor laws they enforce or even what means allowed to enforce them. Its likely do not do not agree that means allowed are effective to solve a problem.
A lot of them don't. The sooner the federal and state governments end the absurd War on Drugs, the more the sharp end of the law can focus on fighting real crime.

[go here: LEAP | Law Enforcement Against Prohibition]

Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,258,396 times
Quote:
A lot of them don't. The sooner the federal and state governments end the absurd War on Drugs, the more the sharp end of the law can focus on fighting real crime.

[go here: LEAP | Law Enforcement Against Prohibition]
If you truly think legalizing drugs is going to do ANYTHING to lower the crime rates, you are smoking and/or using a lot of what you want legalized. Its going to make matters worse and then, in about 30 yrs, it will be illegal again.

Just like guns. You are going to get issue after issue, of a drug crazed lunatic, killing and maiming people. And persons are going to stand up and say, "Why is this legal again?" And a "Jane Smith" law will be enacted.

Police, because I am one, could care less one way or the other. People always say: Ofcourse you want drugs illegal. Its job security. It won't change my job security, people are still going to be using them, committing crimes, legal or illegal. It won't matter. In fact, drug use will INCREASE and the need for me will be even more.

I just wish people would be honest and admit: I want drugs legalized, so I can use them, without social and legal ramifications. Then you would have a leg to stand on.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,098,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ex-DEA agent talks about decision to join pot industry | Local News | The Seattle Times
Former DEA agent joins pot investing firm – The Lead with Jake Tapper - CNN.com Blogs

Perhaps the ultimate mercenary. He had one career devoted to tossing people in jail over dope, now he's got a career essentially supplying it to them.

It's emblematic of the modern big gov't functionary. They are happy to argue any position, take any stand, as long as it results in a flow of dollars into their pockets.
I don't have any problem with it. When he was a DEA agent, he wasn't "arguing a position" he was enforcing a law. A law that he had no more hand in making than you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies