Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could an long term unemployed business executive get a minimum wage job if they tried?
Yes, they just need bodies, they don't care you used to make good money 21 30.00%
Unlikely because these jobs are set aside for others 13 18.57%
No chance in the world they would be hired 29 41.43%
Don't know 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
This conservative constitutionalist knows you are wrong, from personal experience.
These people just seem to want to make excuses.

Tried to rep you again.....I owe you one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Corporate will do anything to reduce labor costs so firing experienced professionals that are not in the "management" club is a very effective method. They do not care if the job does not get done. The managers will collect the bonus for cutting costs and move on to somewhere else.

Employment, even for degreed professionals has become a rigged game and the managers know how to cheat for their own benefit no matter how much damage is done to the other employees or the company.

The ideal situation is to have one person employed in a good government job like a TSA manager and the other in a 6 figure private sector job. Even better is to be the CEO's kid and just coast along without making any bad decisions.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
At Christmas dinner my wife's nephew who is 22 years old was asked a question about his job at a local manufacture of electrical parts.
It seems he's doing quite well and told us of his large amount of overtime each week.

He told us with his overtime he is making approx. 4200.00 a month.

I asked why the company had such a large amount of overtime, he's responded that due to failed random drug tests for probationary new hires along with habitual tardiness the company has a very difficult time finding employees.

He then told us the overwhelming majority of these failed new hires are aged eighteen to thirty.
He said the employees that have been hired after him and are successful seem to be over the age of thirty.

It's a physically demanding environment where he works but he said that management due to being burned over and over again by retention issues being caused from low quality younger employees that they are now actively looking at people ages 35 to 50.

The company's pay structure is really good, they offer full medical, dental and retirement benefits and solid job security.

Personally it boggles my mind that in this economy someone would choose drugs and laziness over a future but then again I'm 47 years old.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Because like you pro-open borders advocates say -- they're coming to do the millions of jobs that unemployed Americans are too lazy to do.

Wrong.

I'm not pro-open border number one.

Number two, the COMPANIES refuse to hire Americans are way more educated than their illegal immigrant counterparts because they do not want to pay!

Blame the companies, not the people!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
This conservative constitutionalist knows you are wrong, from personal experience.

WOW!!

So your personal experience is the only one which is valid?

That's mighty solipsistic of you isn't it?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Maybe it's you?
How would they know? They never met me. It's all online now. And my resume is sterling. In my professional field, which interests them not at all.

ETA: I was hired immediately when I finally got my first interview, and promptly put into one of the more demanding (by Home Depot standards) sales jobs, in large appliances. So no, it's not me.

But boy, did they hate that I was efficient. They would yell at me and ask why I wasn't doing XYZ like they told me … when I said it was because I was finished with XYZ and thought it would be nice to do ABC too, they yelled at me for doing something they didn't tell me to.

Once, a day after they yelled at all of us about not sitting at the computer desk unless we were making a sale (we had to order most things, and set up delivery), I was at the desk with a customer, while the printer was spitting out tons of paperwork for the sale. The phone rang and I answered it. The manager yelled at me for being at the desk, and when I said it was because I was waiting for the paperwork to print for a customer, he yelled at me for answering the phone. No multitasking for you!!!

I know dozens of stories like these from other laid off professionals -- at least the ones who aren't living in their cars and actually managed to get one of these jobs like I finally did. You can pretend all you want, but these folks do NOT want smart people working for them. End of story.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I'm sure many other older unemployed professionals have similar stories. No, they don't want older people, and they especially don't want intelligent, educated older people. If you're in your 50s with a professional career and you've been laid off, you will probably never have meaningful employment again.

Cons know this. They just don't care.
It somewhat depends. Again drawing on my experience with hospitality, you basically can't get employed unless someone knows you, but if you are intelligent and educated they tend to like that in the service end since they like people who can work somewhat independently during set up and feel approachable to customers/clients and lets face it the clients are usually intelligent and educated older people and they like it when the staff is like them or their intelligent and educated children.

As to multi-tasking that is also preferred since there is often rush periods when there is too much work for the people there.

However, none of this matters if you don't know someone.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
What I found interesting about the OP's question is the idea that an executive was only making $80K a year. Most CEO's are making well in excess of that, even those working for non-profits. If a CEO was only making $80k, that CEO was doing a poorish job and was being compensated accordingly.
He actually said "director" but probably meant to say CEO. A lot of directors don't make even 25% of what CEOs make. Most CEOs, as you said, make many multiples of $ 80k.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Director XXX at local company Y likely has a mortgage to pay and kids' college tuition to pay. Show me how that is possible on a McDonald's wage.
Nobody said it was.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I can't speak about older, educated, professional workers getting min wage jobs as I don't know anyone in that position. However, several people who worked for my husband were laid off. All of those former employees found jobs within 8 months. I was told most even found jobs paying more money than at the previous company. They were all good at what they did!

Finding another job isn't impossible for the over 45 crowd if one has skills that are still in demand.
It happens all the time. I was 45 when I got booted out of an executive level job. It took six months, but I found an even better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies