Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could an long term unemployed business executive get a minimum wage job if they tried?
Yes, they just need bodies, they don't care you used to make good money 21 30.00%
Unlikely because these jobs are set aside for others 13 18.57%
No chance in the world they would be hired 29 41.43%
Don't know 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Lets say you used to be a Director of XXX at a local corporation but were laid off. You used to make over $80K but now most of your savings and investments are gone due to long term unemployment. You have tried to get back into the corporate world in a job similar to what you were doing but after a year of trying you just don't get hired.

Your federal extended unemployment benefits are ending today and the Congress says no more.

Do you think most people in this situation could get hired for a low wage low skilled survival job for close to minimum wage? Or are these jobs set aside for young people, immigrants, the unskilled, or poorly educated?

Do you know anyone who did this?

Please participate in my poll!

A MUCH better question is:

Why is the economy so crappy that high paid professionals would be forced into minimum wage jobs?

Answer here:

What Caused the Great Recession of 2008-2009?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sorry, but both the employers and the illegal aliens are to blame equally. No one is dragging them over the border to work. They know full and well that when they cross our border illegally and work here that they are violating our immigration laws.

If I had to feed my kids and I knew I could do so by crossing a line on the map you bet your ass I would.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Lets say you used to be a Director of XXX at a local corporation but were laid off. You used to make over $80K but now most of your savings and investments are gone due to long term unemployment. You have tried to get back into the corporate world in a job similar to what you were doing but after a year of trying you just don't get hired.

Your federal extended unemployment benefits are ending today and the Congress says no more.

Do you think most people in this situation could get hired for a low wage low skilled survival job for close to minimum wage? Or are these jobs set aside for young people, immigrants, the unskilled, or poorly educated?

Do you know anyone who did this?

Please participate in my poll!
The real questions is what was that person's backup plan in case they lost their job. Why would anyone not have a contingency plan to pick up another job right away?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
NO, because "You are overqualified, you would not be happy here, and your manager would be younger than you!"

Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Not realistic. As said above, you be shot down for being overqualified. You'd be a threat to the manager hiring you. He doesn't want to hire someone with the ability to take his job.

I do have a relative that lost a high paying job and took lowly Walmart work for a while. But I think he's a rare exception in getting that to happen.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Corporate will do anything to reduce labor costs so firing experienced professionals that are not in the "management" club is a very effective method. They do not care if the job does not get done. The managers will collect the bonus for cutting costs and move on to somewhere else.

Employment, even for degreed professionals has become a rigged game and the managers know how to cheat for their own benefit no matter how much damage is done to the other employees or the company.

The ideal situation is to have one person employed in a good government job like a TSA manager and the other in a 6 figure private sector job. Even better is to be the CEO's kid and just coast along without making any bad decisions.
I really feel sorry for people who think like this.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The real questions is what was that person's backup plan in case they lost their job. Why would anyone not have a contingency plan to pick up another job right away?

Have you been asleep for the last 15 years?

Honestly, how can anyone ask such a question and be serious about it?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Have you been asleep for the last 15 years?

Honestly, how can anyone ask such a question and be serious about it?
So you don't have an answer to my question? Why would anyone blindly trust that their job is secure? That is nothing short of stupid.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I tried. It took two years before I finally got a job at Home Depot. The harder I worked, the more the "managers" hated me. One particular incident illustrates this theme, although the one time I made the effort to post about it, it was ignored by the con crowd. Didn't fit their fairy-tale scenario or their thinly-disguised greed.

I'm sure many other older unemployed professionals have similar stories. No, they don't want older people, and they especially don't want intelligent, educated older people. If you're in your 50s with a professional career and you've been laid off, you will probably never have meaningful employment again.

Cons know this. They just don't care.

One of my patients is a welder in the oil fields of North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Texas. He says that welder's assistants make $15-$30 per hour, yet they cannot fill those jobs, as few want to work that hard.

I would suggest that you

a. go to the Tulsa welding school for 7 months and become a welder in the oil fields. My patient makes 200K over 8 months and takes off the other four.

b. do not get any education and become a welder's assistant- they will train you.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:10 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I really feel sorry for people who think like this.

The liberal mind is full of anger, regrets, rationalizations, and most of all- lack of solutions.

Thus liberalism is appealing to those who have not reached their goals in life, as it convinces them that the only way to become well to do is-

a. to inherit money
b. to steal money from "honest" people. Therefore, if one is "honest", one cannot be wealthy.
c. to cheat or "con" the system in order to advance onself
d. to trample down "the masses" and advance off of their talent, labor, and effort,

The above is really what liberals believe and have convinced themselves that this is true. Gee......... I wonder how many of them were partying in high school or years after while I was making no money, studying my ass off in a library, and doing what I could to pay tuition?

It is a classic story of the ant and the grasshopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies