Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Wow. I am truly amazed how everyone turns this into "obamas trickle down". Thats hilarious.

Obamas govt shutdown
Obama's depression.

What next? Blame Obama for Hurricane Katrina?

Oh wait...they do
Louisiana Republicans blame Obama for Katrina | MinnPost

Seriously people, Obama does not run this country with a iron fist. He is not the one to blame for every darn thing. And renaming everything bad and blaming him is foolish. He doesn't decide budgets, he doesn't decide tax rates, and he really doesn't control the economy as much as you might think. This is crazy.

I really love the mention of the AIG bonuses.
Fun fact-Obama said he was offended by them, and asked the house and senate to tax them at 90%. The house first approved it...when half of the republicans joined the democrats...Boehner of course voted against it and pushed hard for it to not pass

At this point the money men freaked out, and Harry Reid shelved the bill near as I can tell. That would make Harry Reid responsible for it, not Obama.

But hey, trickle down does not work. It stopped working in 1970 when the rising tide stopped rising everything but the yachts. Up until then the expanding economies benefits really were shared pretty equally, but form 1970 on...it changed. Dramatically. The lower class basically stopped making more money, and the primary beneficiaries became the top .1%, with some shared amongst the top 20% or so. But everyone else? Pretty much flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently there are people that still believe that trickle down economics has been a success. I for one do not see it.

The theory that trickle down economics has led to a increasing wealth inequality, increasingly less class mobility, and appears to me to have been a major driver of our deficit.

Who can honestly say they've been a success?
Given that trickle down economics was Reagans game, aren't you a little late with this post? Or do you think measures taken that long ago should still be working today?

Study the economy. It's cyclic. It's also gone global so it's unlikely that anything we do is going to impact it much. Unfortunately, putting money back into the hands of the American people results in them purchasing things that made in other countries too often these days so it's a futile effort. Trickle down economics only works if the money is spent on goods made here. We're in love with cheap disposable items made abroad. When you fix that you'll fix our economy.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
when trickle down was coined by clinton we were paying off the national debt not adding to it.
and stock earnings were double digit.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The governments version of trickle down is a failure. The idea in general
Is not.

Someone starting a business say like Microsoft has created a very nice living for many people.

The government version takes from the lower classes to give to the upper classes. This was ever supposed to work?
Well, the idea is not a failure because it's never been tried. It's never even been proposed by an economist. The reality is that trickle down economics is nothing more than a fairy tale that never matured.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Since the mid 60's western countries have practiced wealth sharing and what you see is what it is; road to bottom for those who take part. Poorer school results from not competing; and in time skills do not match the times in a large segment of population. The US was built on trickle down by innovation by smartest and society shared in not only the profits but benefits. Then most was actually reinvested. Too many cannot be supported by too few in the end.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
the only thing I see trickling is tickling the billionaires..

Old 12-27-2013, 08:03 PM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Wow. I am truly amazed how everyone turns this into "obamas trickle down". Thats hilarious.
Could you mention how those specific Obama policies are not trickle down - or do you admit that they are trickle down?

Quote:
I really love the mention of the AIG bonuses.
Fun fact-Obama said he was offended by them, and asked the house and senate to tax them at 90%. The house first approved it...when half of the republicans joined the democrats...Boehner of course voted against it and pushed hard for it to not pass

At this point the money men freaked out, and Harry Reid shelved the bill near as I can tell. That would make Harry Reid responsible for it, not Obama.
How did your conscience feel when you typed out such nonsense to absolve Obama of all blame for his actions?

-Obama said he would go through spending bills line by line to look for waste.
-Obama himself signed it into law.
-We knew for months that the AIG bonuses were happening and Obama's signature stimulus protected those bonuses so they could happen instead of repealing them.
-Obama's party controlled both the House and the Senate that wrote the stimulus bill (and previous bill that enabled it).
-Obama was so shocked and outraged he publicly asked to stop it and then did nothing more...no public pressure, no back bone to stop it, no rallying the American people to put pressure on congress using his high popularity at the time and the high unpopularity of tax payer paid AIG bonuses etc...

I am sorry, but Obama owns the AIG taypayer bonuses to millionaires as much as the Democrats that wrote the bill.

How do you blame Boehner? He didn't block it as you say. The Democrats controlled just over 60% of the House at that time. If Obama were half of a leader, he could have got 5/6ths of his own party's Representatives and Senators on the same page to repeal it -- especially since America was outraged as a whole. He wouldn't even need 5/6ths of his own party, he had Republicans actively trying to stop the AIG bonuses. Obama is just a poor executive.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Does "trickle down" refer to simply abstaining from stripping the rewards of work and effort from the successful? If so, it makes sense that we would see more work and effort overall if the successful are not punished for work and effort and success.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
A lot of that "trickle down" poured into my savings accounts and portfolio -
on the other hand - I wasn't standing around with a bucket waiting for mana to fall from the sky.
We worked for it, we saved it, we didn't spend more than we made, we planned for our future. Trickle down doesn't do much for you if you stand around with an umbrella afraid of it, or stand around with a bucket without a plan and whine all the time.

Yeah - I guess I would call going from $1,000 a month out of college to where I am today a "success".

How much would you have saved if you made $8 per hour?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much would you have saved if you made $8 per hour?
I started my first job in 1979 at minimum wage....$2.90 per hour at the time.
If I had not put any effort into improving myself, my skill set and worked hard to get raises and move up from one job to the next, then I probably wouldn't have been able to save much.

But I did do those things ...so I make considerably more than $8.00 per hour now.

Like I said before, the trickle down does not fall into your lap.....you still have to work to get your share of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies