Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

Most of America realizes that what trickles down from corporate America is yellow and not green. Even people with 6 figure incomes don't realize how effectively they are being ripped off by the people with the 8+ figure incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:23 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You realize, of course, that $2.90 in 1979 dollars would be $9 today.

And that hits on the failure of all this trickle down nonsense. 30 years of obviously bad policy, and the result has been what was obvious from the outset - that the top would accumulate a greater and greater share of the nation's wealth, and that the poor and working class would struggle along, making less and less.
The "nations wealth" is the sum of the wealth of it's people. It is not some imaginary "pie" that is divided up among them, with the pieces becoming increasingly larger for some, and smaller for others. That is a myth created by Leftists to convince you to vote for them. The dirty little secret is that they will do nothing that will increase your wealth if you sit and wait for something to happen as a result of giving them power over you.

Wealth is created. You have to create your own wealth. Sitting on your butt isn't going to do it. You have to work!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It does not always work like that. Some do the best they can and just don't get ahead.
Yeah, and?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Irrelevant.

The fact remains that those who are unwilling to do whats necessary to build a skill set and put some effort into improving their lot in life through self improvement and hard work will forever be sucking at the teat of those who are willing to put forth that effort, even if it takes decades to accomplish.

Has this made me rich?........No, but thats MY fault.

Because it could've taken me higher on the socio economic ladder if I was willing to put forth even more time and effort.

But the fact is that I like my time off and I enjoy spending time with my family.
So, I have reached a level at which I am reasonably satisfied with the compensation I receive for the amout of time and effort that I must put forth to receive it.

So no, I am not immune to the theory of trickle down either.
Those who do not work will not eat. It's that simple.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yep, those at the bottom aren't called "peons" for no reason, huh?
And if you're at the bottom and you dont mind being peons, and arent willing to do what you need to do to stop being peed on, why should I care? Why is the government responsible to make sure you are happy and comfortable being a peon?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Those who do not work will not eat. It's that simple.
Charity, a wonderful moral quality, should always be voluntary.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I think that is just a republican talking point. I know many who work extremely hard but never seem to get ahead. Most of these people don't have decades to accomplish this since they have families to feed right now.
Working for a living and self improvement is a "Republican talking point?"

I think the question is: "Why aren't they getting ahead?"

I would submit it is not a failure of capitalism. If they are not getting ahead, there is a reason. They are doing something wrong, or simply not putting forth the effort. Perhaps they live beyond their means, and thus have accumulated too much debt? Perhaps they have never considered changing jobs, or acquiring new skills?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
It does not always work like that. Some do the best they can and just don't get ahead.
Then the "best they can" isn't good enough. There is a reason. What is it?

Old 12-28-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
It might well be a Republican talking point but only becuse it's true.
Will everyone see the same degree of success? Of course not.
But equal opportunity has never been a guarantee of equal outcome in a free society.

And personal responsibility extends to not having more family to support until you have the means to support them.

When I made $10.00 per hour, I lived a $10.00 per hour lifestyle.
When I made $15.00 per hour, I allowed a corresponding $5.00 per hour increase in my
financial responsibilities.

This is only a difficult concept to grasp for those who never grow up and expect others to help carry their load from cradle to grave out of some distorted sense of "fairness".
What you describe is a basic principle of economics 101.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And if you're at the bottom and you dont mind being peons, and arent willing to do what you need to do to stop being peed on, why should I care? Why is the government responsible to make sure you are happy and comfortable being a peon?
You are correct... it certainly is no problem if one keeps their head in the sand...

Inequality And Mobility In The United States - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies