Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 08:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This was not a free speech issue. He was free to speak, and others were free to speak, and A&E was free to speak. No ones free speech was stopped.
It is a speech issue because a relatively small group sought to penalize an individual for speaking his opinion. Worse still A&E reacted to it in a way that would penalize the individual. Personally I think it was all a scam to get people to watch the show. DD got a boat load of free advertisement out of the deal and so did A&E.
My real issue in this whole thing was the hypocrites on both sides. I was amused.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
A&E had better hope that that show can carry the network. I bet there will be a lot of other groups the boycott all of A&E. The Christian nut jobs will support anything that spews hate speech at what they hate, but many other groups will also do the opposite. Lets see how it plays out.
It's been carrying the network! It's the highest rated show on the channel. The "other groups" aren't going noting but whine about it, you think they would have learned their lesson after the whole chick- fil- A fiasco that blew up in their face.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are upset because A&E did a pointless suspension? A&E was worried about the backlash from the general public not some activist group, once they decided that the profits keeping the show would outweigh the negative, they decided to end the suspension. Not surprised by this and I figured they would end the suspension.

This is just like MTV and the Jersey Shore, the show was stupid and offensive yet MTV kept it because the profits outweighed the negative until the show began to lose its popularity. The same thing will happen to this dumb reality show, as it happens to most reality shows.
No, but you continue to say that they are a private company, now you say they had influence from an outside company...you need to make up your mind....

Yet, you heard not a single word from anyone about jersey shores....now did ya....

The BOLD and underlined is BS.....prove that A&E was going to suspended Phil prior to gladd speaking up...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, but you continue to say that they are a private company, now you say they had influence from an outside company...you need to make up your mind....

Yet, you heard not a single word from anyone about jersey shores....now did ya....

The BOLD and underlined is BS.....prove that A&E was going to suspended Phil prior to gladd speaking up...
Yeah, I think you might be confused, A&E is a private company and like any private company they are typically concerned with their public image and don't want to be attached to anything that could tarnish their image...many companies have fired people for the same thing and for the same reason. So I am not sure what you are talking about when you try to say they had influence from an outside company, when I never said such a thing.

You must have not been paying attention, but there was a big push to get Jersey Shore cancelled...maybe none of your right wing sources ever mentioned it, or maybe you have already forgot the outrage that came out when Jersey Shore started.

Obviously the suspension didn't mean anything, so clearly GLAAD didn't have some impacting effect that you think they had. Phil said something damaging in something that was recorded and reported, if he didn't want to get in trouble with his employer, then he should have watched his mouth, but obviously A&E was able to overlook what he said because they didn't want to lose that source of income, which I don't blame them.

You are trying too hard to dig for something that doesn't exist...and it is GLAAD, not gladd.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
A&E is a private entertainment company and they are free to air whatever they want to.
nobody says they are not free to do whatever they want but when you market a show to family values religious conservatives who agree with his stance, tehn try to be high and mighty and twist his words and try to stand on principal and then wind up realzing your going to lose a crapload of money and ratings and lose the family to another network then all the sudden money is more important than politics. the flip flopy makes them look pathetic

Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It is a speech issue because a relatively small group sought to penalize an individual for speaking his opinion. Worse still A&E reacted to it in a way that would penalize the individual. Personally I think it was all a scam to get people to watch the show. DD got a boat load of free advertisement out of the deal and so did A&E.
My real issue in this whole thing was the hypocrites on both sides. I was amused.
You have no idea what free speech entails.

Just like Mr. Robertson was exercising his right to free speech, the members of the "relatively small group" were exercising theirs.

The government wasn't involved. Everyone exercised their right. It's not a 1st amendment issue.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
It was all pretty weird anyhow -- they asked him his opinion. He gave it and that's when they tried to censor him.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It was all pretty weird anyhow -- they asked him his opinion. He gave it and that's when they tried to censor him.
A & E did not ask his opinion. Different "they"s.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A&E, the corporate entity did NOTHING.

It was a PERSON who had the authority to do what they did based on their personal viewpoints.

A corporate entity does nothing.
It's always a person.
And obviously that "person" didn't have firm enough principles to stand their ground if they had any to begin with.
Yes, yes Corporations are people too. We know. I'm guessing several 'people' were involved in making the final call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It is not a free speech issue. But since everyone is entitled to their opinion - I want Martin Bashir back on MSNBC. Asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You have no idea what free speech entails.

Just like Mr. Robertson was exercising his right to free speech, the members of the "relatively small group" were exercising theirs.

The government wasn't involved. Everyone exercised their right. It's not a 1st amendment issue.
I'm so tired of repeating this.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
GLADD sure is butthurt today, and not for the usual reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies