Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Michael Jackson became about the richest man in the world so it didn't hurt him to be black. Oprah sits on an over $3 billion empire, it's not hurting her to be black. Obama is now rolling in the money -- so it didn't hurt him to be black. Beyonce is extremely rich, Rihanna is also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 01:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Michael Jackson became about the richest man in the world so it didn't hurt him to be black. Oprah sits on an over $3 billion empire, it's not hurting her to be black. Obama is now rolling in the money -- so it didn't hurt him to be black. Beyonce is extremely rich, Rihanna is also.
This thread isn't about being black.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This thread isn't about being black.
It's about race determining someone's economic viability. Also the richest man in the world is a Mexican.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Simply put, my race has never hindered me to my knowledge.

Did i lose out on a few breaks because i'm black? Maybe, but so what. Win some and you lose some. I didn't know about it and even if i did i couldn't prove it so why raise my blood pressure?

Did i get a few breaks BECAUSE i'm black? Maybe so, but i don't feel guilty about it if i did. Everyone uses whatever advantages they have to get what they want. No one in the history of the world has ever turned down an opportunity because they thought they were getting an unfair advantage. All guilt can and will be easily assuaged and quickly dismissed by the recipient of such a break.
It's odd when I agree with you but this pretty much sums up my thinking on the topic.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
The government never told me that. No other black person has ever told me about having that conversation with government either.

Sounds like you're imagining things. Who told you that the government told them that?

And free stuff? What have I received from government that you haven't? Name some things. Lemme get in on this free stuff you've been getting.

affirmative action
Race based quotas in Government jobs and college admissions.
NAACP
UNCF
Congressional Black Caucus

must be nice to have more than the white guy, just to be told you cannot make it, without it.
Should I list more that is given in guilt, to make you whole.
All because of the color of one's skin.... Truly sad to have the government say you can't make it without them.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No, it all has to do with the person raising you. Not the color of your skin.
Raising victims has been the governments job for 100 years.

Our own government tells those that are black, they cannot make it without government, giving them help and free stuff. You are doomed, here, take this because of our guilt.
LOL at the black stuff comment again...it seems the "free stuff" is brought up a lot and no one, including this poster can give us any sort of free black stuff....

Quote:
affirmative action
NAACP
UNCF

must be nice to have more than the white guy, just to be told you cannot make it, without it.
All because of the color of one's skin.... Truly sad to have the government say you can't make it without them.
Yes, I would like you to mention more...

Affirmative Action does not exclusively help black people and doesn't provide anything "free." It is a voluntary program as well as businesses are not required to participate.

Quotas are also not exclusive to black people in government jobs and are similar to affirmative action. Mainstream schools have a low percentage of black attendees and their quotas vary by school so it is not a topic either that provides "free stuff" for black people

NAACP and the UNCF do not exclude non-black members or recipients of scholarships. I went to an HBCU (no affirmative action for me!) and we had non-black students, including white students who received UNCF scholarships due to them being based on attending an HBCU. White people do go to HBCUs.

The CBC is not the only Caucus in our government. There are plenty of "white" ones and they also don't give us anything free (except political frustration).

Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
In regards to the OP, I think you are trying to simplify "racism" when it comes to economic viability and employment opportunities.

Racism is defined as you stated, but discrimination based on race, is not the same as "racism." It is treating someone differently based on race.

As such, discrimination can and has limited the economic viability of black Americans as a whole, historically moreso than today, but due to that historic, monumental sort of discrimination, black Americans as a whole have been deprived of acquiring the education, financial tools, home and landownership opportunities, and various other economic opportunities that were provided to various non-black peoples in this country for many centuries so black Americans have been held back in those regards until only 50 years ago.

Also, discrimination and prejudice are constants in our society and they are not only race based. But as a whole, black Americans are thought of negatively, which was referenced in this very thread by posters who stated that it was about "attitude" (as if all black people have bad attitudes - a common stereotype of black people) or appearance (as if all black people dress like thugs or provocatively - another common stereotype of black people) or have poor work ethics (as if all black people are lazy - again a common stereotype of black people).

You can see time and time again in this forum that many posters have negative views of black people. Even black people have negative views of other black people and those views, stereotypes, and attitudes contribute to the fact that black people on average, even with education and a clean record have less chances of succeeding economically versus other Americans.

As was mentioned, one does have to take into account individuals though. As was stated previously, the condition that one is born into is the primary determinate to what economic position he/she will acquire as an adult. If someone is born poor to a welfare mom in poverty, chances are that that child will stay in similar circumstances. If a black child is born to a middle class family (either single parent or married) chances are that child will eventually continue to live a middle class life.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Race determines physical characteristics like skin/hair/eye color, facial features, etc. It does not determine socioeconomic outcomes at all, individual behavior and choices does.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's about race determining someone's economic viability. Also the richest man in the world is a Mexican.
Uh; if it's the dude I think it is, he's a "white" Mexican, not a brown skin Indian like most of them.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
affirmative action
NAACP
UNCF

Never had a government job based on any quota I've ever heard of. I did have veterans preference once, but I don't apologize for that.

My dad paid my way through ASU. Every damn dime. So no preferences there either.

NAACP? Not a member.

UNCF? Again, my dad paid my way through school.

CBC? Don't even know what the hell you mean by that.

Your whole thing with trying to lay a guilt trip is wasted. If I've ever received anything because I'm black, too bad. I feel nada. At the end of the day, you and I both have to pay our Bill collectors, and none of my creditors give a damn how I got the job so I can get the money to pay up.

Moreover, I'll use EVERY advantage possible to get ahead. If black is an advantage, I'll use that too. And I'll run to you and tell you I did it. Like them apples?

It's just that so far, I haven't had the opportunity to do so.

So again, what free stuff have I received that you haven't? And this time come up with some better answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies