Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,105,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's odd when I agree with you but this pretty much sums up my thinking on the topic.
Never mind how odd it is. If you agree, just say so without the preamble. If you don't agree, then you don't.

We both know where we typically stand on the issues. No need to point it out all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,843,564 times
I wish I was black so I could get a bunch of free stuff.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,179,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Simply put, my race has never hindered me to my knowledge.

Did i lose out on a few breaks because i'm black? Maybe, but so what. Win some and you lose some. I didn't know about it and even if i did i couldn't prove it so why raise my blood pressure?

Did i get a few breaks BECAUSE i'm black? Maybe so, but i don't feel guilty about it if i did. Everyone uses whatever advantages they have to get what they want. No one in the history of the world has ever turned down an opportunity because they thought they were getting an unfair advantage. All guilt can and will be easily assuaged and quickly dismissed by the recipient of such a break.
One of the best posts I have read yet and absolutely true.
No one is guaranteed a greased path based on race or gender. General Colin Powell. Black man from a modest family of immigrants. Worked his way up to be the highest ranking Military Officer in the country. I consider him a hero.
Doors will open and close and normally we will never know why. The world is filled with bias people.
I have a cleft of the lip and palate. First grade teacher assumed that I must be retarded because of a birth defect. I grew up dirt poor and it was not a good childhood. Yet I have a good job and I am published.
Life is what we chose to make of it. It is the result of decisions we make.
As desert says take advantage of opportunities when you can, anyone and everyone would and will. Maybe some others got a leg up due to connections, family or maybe the guy hiring likes a certain type more than others. Crying unfair or throwing a self pity party will not land you a job or deliver a good life. Waiting for life to suddenly become fair or for someone to hand you what you consider your due will never happen. Life isn't fair.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I wish I was black so I could get a bunch of free stuff.
I'm black.

What free stuff did I get that you didn't get?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I'm black.

You didn't. You may have taken advantage of opportunities. I would have as well. I'm a Vet I take advantage of veteran discounts and if an employer offered Veteran preference I would take advantage of that as well. I earned it. If you are a vet you earned it as well.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You didn't. You may have taken advantage of opportunities. I would have as well. I'm a Vet I take advantage of veteran discounts and if an employer offered Veteran preference I would take advantage of that as well. I earned it. If you are a vet you earned it as well.
Exactly. If all if this "free stuff" is available, I wish someone would show me how to get it because I want in on it too.

I'm tired of missing out. Why should I waste my time at a job if I don't have to?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,843,564 times
Quote:
I'm black.

You mean you don't get free stuff? Guess I will stick with being white then.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,796,946 times
Why do people keep mentioning AA when white women are the biggest beneficiaries?

If white men want to complain about AA and lost opportunities,take it out on white women,not black people.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why do people keep mentioning AA when white women are the biggest beneficiaries?

If white men want to complain about AA and lost opportunities,take it out on white women,not black people.
Quota based systems are seldom if ever the best way to operate. The quota by its very nature will never deliver quality results. It doesn't matter who benefits from it, everyone else loses.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,860,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Quota based systems are seldom if ever the best way to operate. The quota by its very nature will never deliver quality results. It doesn't matter who benefits from it, everyone else loses.
The 1 group I'd be Ok with "AA" or quotas would be for veterans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies