Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 01:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
A pullup indicates upper body strength without external leverage being used. When would that be applicable in the field? More appropriate would be how females and males perform in an obstacle course with relevant load bearing equipment while fatigued and in inclement weather and lighting conditions or over varying types of terrain.

I notice at my gym that few males are capable of executing a pullup. They appear to have normal weight to height proportions.
Then they shouldn't be in the marines.

Anyone can do pull ups if they work out long enough. Women obviously can do pullups, but many are too lazy to do the workouts that would let them.

Also if they are lacking in physical strength, why not give them testosterone injections to build up their muscles? That would be true equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 01:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
More people's sons will die for reasons unknown to them. They will never be informed that their son died because he was covering the retreat of a woman who couldn't keep up or because a female Marine couldn't carry him to safety.

These things will never be reported to the parents.

This is pure left wing idiocy.
Gee, didn't know it was women who got Tillman with friendly fire. All those women fragging their male counterparts in Vietnam while stoned out of their minds. Sure saw a lot of women draft dodgers in Canada too.

Women have served in front line battles all over the world for centuries and performed equal to or better then men.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:44 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
All other things being equal I'd prefer someone that could do a pull up over someone that can't. Women should be allowed to serve as long as they can pass unwatered down physical tests.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Most of it depends on training. 3 of my female cousins have been trained since age 4 in various martial arts. I would take them in a fight over most men.

Martial arts are a joke unless they are scripted in a movie.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:15 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post

Old 12-28-2013, 02:17 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How often do you fight folks with martial arts training and I don't mean someone who has been to a few months worth of classes, I mean someone who has been training since early childhood? I would assume never since if you did you would know its not a joke.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
How often do you fight folks with martial arts training and I don't mean someone who has been to a few months worth of classes, I mean someone who has been training since early childhood. Its not a joke.
Especially since they use martial arts training as elements of military training.

Sure, mcdojos (ATA, most taekwondo centers) are a joke, but proper marital arts training? Nope.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Especially since they use martial arts training as elements of military training.

Sure, mcdojos (ATA, most taekwondo centers) are a joke, but proper marital arts training? Nope.
I agree. When people in the US think of martial arts they tend to think of the summer campy type of centers where they often don't really teach weapons. That isn't what I mean.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:37 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I can make arguments either way for women in combat, but my daughter is a Marine and last time she was home, she ripped off 20 plus pull-ups on my bar. I think a three pull-up minimum should be easily achievable for any Marine. No issues with the requirement for me.

In regards to the "martial arts only works in the movies" post; I agree if you are trying to use spinning heels kicks and such, but the defensive, grappling, and submission techniques will quickly end most fights. There are obviously some really good street fighters out there as well that can throw down, but odds are the (skilled over several years in a viable discipline) martial arts training will win if applied efficiently and without attempting to be flashy.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
"Women in the Marine Corps will be allowed into ground combat in 2016"--You know what that will mean there's going to be many unnecessary american deaths in time of war.

Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up | CNS News
LOL- women are so weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies