Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 AM

525 posts, read 508,365 times

Advertisements

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm a left leaning moderate as opposed to a liberal but I just can't tolerate MSNBC. I do enjoy Lawrence O'Donnell quite a bit and Rachel Maddow to a lesser degree but that is about it. I just feel that their content is so heavily geared towards social issues with sickening amounts of pseudo-outrage without enough emphasis on economics or "real news." They rarely spend time on budget issues, the minimum wage fight, long term unemployment, or other relevant things...instead it's hours upon hours upon hours about race or something else designed to create an instant emotional response.

And I'm not gearing this question to conservatives who clearly dislike msnbc...please only answer if you consider yourself left of center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,639 times
I don't typically watch the primetime slots. The daytime programs seem more like news like you describe you would prefer.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
I can't stand it. I put it in the same group as FOX - worthless.

I haven't watched any of the shows on MSNBC lately, but whenever a show is commentary and opinionated, it ceases being news and turns into pure garbage.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Based on their ratings, many people dislike them.

I don't watch too much TV news but try and catch a little of both sides. Fox is annoying for its own reasons, but msnbc is far worse in the biased department.

Rachel has given up any pretense of being anything other than a biased pawn. Her show isn't news but rather agenda-driven commentary.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
I watched them during the elections, but rarely since then. I never thought of MSNBC as a news program, rather a political opinion show. I do not watch Fox either (except when there is a disaster as Fox always has the best coverage of those). But, to be fair and balanced, Fox is much more of a news show than MSNBC. It is just slanted strongly to the right.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:22 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Don't like it and don't watch it, pretty much the way I feel about most political punditry on either side of the aisle. Oddly enough, left leaning though I may be, about the only political show I watch occasionally is The O'Reilly Factor.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Ultimately you watch the show that sounds more viable to you, as a staunch liberal MSNBC sounds good to me with Ed Shultz being my favorite host, if one likes the rightwing points of view obviously FOX would be the logical choice,

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
There are two shows I like on MSNBC. One was Martin Bashir because his mean wit made me laugh and the other is Morning Joe, which I stumbled upon when I tired of Matt Lauer on the Today show.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:46 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There are two shows I like on MSNBC. One was Martin Bashir because his mean wit made me laugh and the other is Morning Joe, which I stumbled upon when I tired of Matt Lauer on the Today show.
I have enjoyed Morning Joe, but it seems every time I catch it its a different set of people. Chuck Todd and The Cycle are about the only shows I will stay on for the hour, and the latter only after SE Cupp left, she was just obnoxious and annoying.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm a left leaning moderate as opposed to a liberal but I just can't tolerate MSNBC. I do enjoy Lawrence O'Donnell quite a bit and Rachel Maddow to a lesser degree but that is about it. I just feel that their content is so heavily geared towards social issues with sickening amounts of pseudo-outrage without enough emphasis on economics or "real news." They rarely spend time on budget issues, the minimum wage fight, long term unemployment, or other relevant things...instead it's hours upon hours upon hours about race or something else designed to create an instant emotional response.

And I'm not gearing this question to conservatives who clearly dislike msnbc...please only answer if you consider yourself left of center.
I am mostly a progressive liberal, but MSNBC, along with Fox are too far onto the paths of whining and nitpicking, hating and nastiness. Fox News is a never ending blur of talking points, with matching talking words and phrases and are all based on hate, and so anti Obama, who bothers to listen anymore. There are a couple of shows that are particularly fingernails on blackboard irritating, like "the five", as one to mention. O'reilly', Hannity yuck. MSNBC has a couple commentators close to the dinner hour who's voices I find irritating, one speaks on labor issues a lot. Ed Schultz, the other race, al sharp ton, both ideas I essentially agree with, but it's becoming a bore. Heard it, I under stand it and agree, but enough is enough. I find I also like Rachael, but get tired of her as well. I find myself turning on CNN for cable news, then back to network news usually ABC and local. I do like Anderson cooper. He doesn't tend to irritate me. I am sick to death of politics, even this forum has few areas I even bother to respond to anymore. Same old hate, same old bias, everyone thinking their opinion is so much smarter, more clever than the next....I even bore myself, so enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies